Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black, white or silver? Which color is best for Model S?

Which color is best for Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted white, mostly because I saw the car at the factory event in October and the white looked absolutely amazing. I don't know if it's the special paint job or what, but the white really popped, much more than the black. I like the grey also, but I was sold when I saw that white up close and in person.

Of course, I'll probably still get Signature Red :smile:
I believe it was Pearl White. In case i go for white i would pick Pearl White. I badly need to see the car in person.

Color is a personal choice.

Practical considerations:
- black gets very very hot in the sunlight. I can't even touch a black car which has been out in the hot sun on a summer day for several hours. For me, black is out.
- silver is, to me, the color of the road (just like grey). I want my car to be more visible than that to other drivers. And easier to find in the parking lot.

Therefore, of the three choices you listed, I'm getting white.

For some reason, practically all the colors Tesla is offering are very dark. Which means they have the same overheating problem as black. It's unfortunate that there are so few light colors available. White is pretty much it for light-colored exteriors. This is weird.

They're still all moderately dark, though. On the web they look *very* dark, but even several shades lighter is fairly dark.
Which, personally, makes me very happy. I'm heading out to the West Coast in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to sneaking in some time at the Santana Row and/or Fashion Island store to see their beta and the paint chips in person!

I don't think the color can affect the temperature inside the car. Especially with the climate control in the S. The S will maintain its temperature even when you have to step out of the car for several minutes and then come back.
Someone posted some data they collected by measuring temperatures on cars in a dealership parking lot, all the same make but with varying paint and upholstery colors. As I recall, his findings were that, although paint color had a very strong effect on the surface temperature of the painted surface, it had only a small, statistically insignificant effect on the internal temperature. The color of the upholstery had a stronger effect.

Reactions: hybridbear
Robert...correct. Exterior color affects surface temperature, and to a small degree causes the interior to heat up slightly faster, but the end result is that both light and dark color cars reach approximately the same steady state temperature.

Interior color has a much larger effect, particularly on the interior surface temperature and therefore how easily you can get burned on the thighs by leather.

As far as internal ambient temperature, again a darker interior causes the vehicle to heat up faster, but the steady state temperature is higher with a dark interior.

So...as far as internal temp is concerned, only the interior color is significant, and even then the steady state temps aren't significantly different.

(And it doesn't take long on a sunny day for the interior to reach its steady state temp). I'm in Virginia...I'll be going with a lighter interior (probably tan) and the blue, grey, or white.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Exterior color affects surface temperature, and to a small degree causes the interior to heat up slightly faster, but the end result is that both light and dark color cars reach approximately the same steady state temperature.

Interior color has a much larger effect, particularly on the interior surface temperature and therefore how easily you can get burned on the thighs by leather.

As far as internal ambient temperature, again a darker interior causes the vehicle to heat up faster, but the steady state temperature is higher with a dark interior.

That sounds like a great summary. The only thing I'd add is that if you're on a long trip in the hot sun, the A/C load will be higher to keep the same cabin temperature in a dark car.

What I don't know is whether than increased A/C load is "significant" or not. Probably not compared to the energy used driving at freeway speeds. If you just look at the power going to A/C, you'd probably notice the difference, but I don't think it's killer.

Some cars (designs) beg for certain colors.

A car like the S begs for black (IMO), to give it that black-tie feel. Yet the biggest problem with black (more than dirt) is that it hides/demphasizes its lines and curves. I have a car in black now. I don't mind keep it dusted and clean.

I love white, especially pearl white (my current cars has pearl). Whit really show the lines and curves of the car well, while giving a positive vibe to the car.

The color that I haven't had yet, but I think could be smart / rich in feel is the brown. Sophisticated and still showy, yet I wonder about the youthfulness of this color.

So...as far as internal temp is concerned, only the interior color is significant, and even then the steady state temps aren't significantly different.

(And it doesn't take long on a sunny day for the interior to reach its steady state temp). I'm in Virginia...I'll be going with a lighter interior (probably tan) and the blue, grey, or white.

What people also forget about on interior color is the affect of size, roominess of space. Black/darker colors tend to be advancing colors, making everything feel like its closing in, while lighter interiors open up the cabin, making it feel bigger than it is.

I'm leaning towards a back exterior with tan interior.