TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Black window trim replacement kit from Alibaba??

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by mPm3, Dec 31, 2019.

1. mPm3

mPm3 New Member

2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

wow, no one? looks neat to me.

3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Interesting but I can’t tell if these are stick on or full on replacements. I would also prefer satin or matte. They only sell on quantities of 3+ and I’d be interested if I knows more about them.

4. Quorky

Quorky Member

Looks pretty good. Anybody wanna try? I would be willing to go in on a kit with two more ppl

5. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

I would rather do this than vinyl, but this kit is missing mirror and door handle pieces....
    Not sure how difficult it would be to do those in vinyl and have the look match...

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It looks like a stick on cover that goes over the trim with tape. I cannot see it lasting very long....

7. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

This has been around for ages... eBay motors, Aliexpress, Alibaba, Rakuten, Amazon even.

I have not seen anyone try it and let the fora know. Questionable quality and staying power, questionable looks as well.

8. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

That gloss black should be easily matched with 3M or similar vinyl product. No info whether or not they are stick on or bolt-in. I would definitely not consider them if they are secured with tape.

9. TypeRx

TypeRx Member

My guess is this stuff sticks on, which isn’t ideal. But if they are replacement pieces..hmm, it could be interesting. Removing the chrome trim is actually quite easy. You guys doing diy chrome delete might find this video quite useful! Wrapping pieces off the car should be really easy. Or painting could be simple and will last forever.

The triangle over the rear quarter window still needs to be done on the car. While it isn’t terribly difficult to remove the mirror to do the lower housing, it seems like releasing the clips could be a bit more involved than most would like.

10. TomaGo

TomaGo Member

Here is a video of this Chrome Delete, it is and additional part :

• Informative x 1
  11. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Plastic taped onto the chrome is going to last several months, even in a country where French is the language being spoken.

I wouldn't do that to my car if you offered me $4,990. :eek:

RT

• Like x 1
  12. TomaGo

TomaGo Member

This is not my car and not my video. But it’s an easy solution.

13. Mysta

Mysta Former Vendor

Interesting, wonder if they have for x

14. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

#14 TLLMRRJ, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    I prefer the original anodized finish for the trim, but what makes you think this stick on stuff is only going to last a few months? It's held on with the same double sided tape that factory uses to hold on the rear spoilers, and it has an easier life than the spoiler.

Can't run your Tesla through a car wash anyway (thanks Elon!), so I don't see what would cause it to fail in only a few months, especially compared to the stickers (i.e. wrap) people are putting on normally.

• Like x 1
  15. Snowie

Snowie Member

I like the idea, just worried about it sticking out too much. Our car's alignment and build quality is already sub-par, sticking out any further might "highlight" these flaws even more.

• Like x 3