Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blacked out interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I decided I was tired of the wood and put a "matrix black" vinyl wrap on it.
Also, changed my interior fabric to black...

flatblack.png

(notice the black A-pillar )

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dre78 and jsrawa
Any thoughts about just masking off the headliner? How difficult is it to remove the A pillars?

I wouldn't spray that coating inside the car. Even if you masked it off well, it is an aerosol paint product and would get paint droplets on other surfaces.

Getting the A-pillar covers of is easy if you know where to pry (carefully with a curved plastic pry tool.) There is a small cover under (next to the door) that needs to be removed first.
The hardest part is jiggling the little plastic hanger thing that keeps those panels from flying away if the airbags ever deploy. They just pop off but then are dangling by a plastic cable that has some "foxtail" like hook things you have to twist and bend to get it to let the panel free.

I may leave the ceiling liner, mirror visors, etc, in the white color. I wish I could make them black, but I don't have confidence that all those various surfaces could be painted as well as the A-pillar covers. I really wish Tesla had offered black interior option on this car. The loaner Enterprise Model S 75d's that service centers loan out seem to have black fabric interiors.

At least with this simple mod, I am not staring at any white surfaces anymore while I drive. Back seat passengers will still get to see the contrasting panel colors, but I think having just the A pillars black looks OK compared to other contrasts like on the B pillars.

Last edited:
Yes, flat. I wouldn't trust the stuff on surfaces people would touch a lot.. Like the sun visors...

And the plastic bits up top like the hazard switch, etc. That would look weird if you totally blacked it out.

The right way to do it would be to have black fabric installed instead of painting it.

I am happy with the way the A-pillars came out, but am fearful of trying to go further.
If someone else takes the plunge, let us know how it works out.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
I left the panels outside for a day to "outgas" (or whatever it is called) so the smell went away before I installed them.
There is a very slight hint of smell after 1 day, but I am sure that will fade away quickly.

Reactions: silentcorp
Yes, flat. I wouldn't trust the stuff on surfaces people would touch a lot.. Like the sun visors...

And the plastic bits up top like the hazard switch, etc. That would look weird if you totally blacked it out.

The right way to do it would be to have black fabric installed instead of painting it.

I am happy with the way the A-pillars came out, but am fearful of trying to go further.
If someone else takes the plunge, let us know how it works out.

You’re killin us... you big tease. More pics! Or video. ;)