Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blacking out emblems makes a huge difference 😍

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For that DIY'er in most of us, you can reuse the factory Model Y license plate frame that comes on your car. I like the look of it, and I haven't found an aftermarket one in black that is designed the same way. The one pictured below is from my Model 3, and the paint is well over a year old and has been through rain, sun, and lots of car washes, and it still looks exactly the same.

Just sand the frame to scuff it up with some 400 grit sand paper, and then go over it with some 800 grit to smooth it out, and apply some light coats of satin black paint. Not too bad for about 20 min worth of work and a can of paint (you don't need high temp engine paint, but that's all I had laying around in satin black).

BLK-Plate-Frame-1.jpg

BLK-Plate-Frame-2.jpg

Rear.jpg
I picked up a CF one from Teslarati, yours looks great!

Reactions: SDM44
Bumping about Mr. Emblem. Anyone used recently? They do not respond to email or phone. Are they still in business

I've purchased a couple of rear emblems from Mr. Emblem, including my current Model Y emblem, but that was back in March when I was originally supposed to take delivery of my car.

IMO, his emblems are top notch (the paint work on the factory emblems), and I trust them over come made-in-china brand that you can buy cheap on Amazon or on Ebay.

I've purchased a couple of rear emblems from Mr. Emblem, including my current Model Y emblem, but that was back in March when I was originally supposed to take delivery of my car.

IMO, his emblems are top notch (the paint work on the factory emblems), and I trust them over come made-in-china brand that you can buy cheap on Amazon or on Ebay.
Yeah they look awesome but it’s weird that I can’t get any response from them. Not gonna throw down cash if they’re not currently working.

I waited for my CA legacy plates to arrive before putting the Etsy emblem covers on and plasti-dipping the DUAL MOTOR badge (I was going to remove the DM altogether but wanted to see how plasti looked first). Why didn't I just plasti-dip the emblems too? Eh, it's a long boring story.

I...actually don't like it as much as I thought I would. The shade of both the emblem covers and plasti-dip doesn't contrast enough with MSM. I wish they were a dark gloss black like my plates. They look great on other car colors though, probably even black.
View attachment 698771I'm in the same boat as you. I was a little underwhelmed. Yes, they look good and better than chrome, but they lack the "pop" on the MSM color. I think a dark maroon color would look cool.

The last chrome I want to delete is inside the headlight… but this involves opening the headlight (permasealed), painting chrome bits and resealing. The permasealed headlights are suuuüper challenging to open compared to the old school (15 years ago) butyl headlights. I want this done to my car.
F1365A5B-DEB2-4331-92D5-1CBB61A0B260.jpeg

Reactions: dyau
Here's some spare emblems I bought earlier this year when I was supposed to take delivery of my LR back in March. I ended up buying & using the Mr Emblem T badge on my car, and the one pictured to the left of it is from Amazon. It's ever so slightly smaller than the factory T emblem, but it's curved correctly to fit onto the Model Y.

The other is the T E S L A matte black emblem that I bought as an impulse, but don't really like how it advertises that much on the back and never opened it up. If anyone is interested in these, I'll let them go dirt cheap since I'll never use them.

Rear-Emblems1.jpg

Rear-Emblems2.jpg

Not sure where/when I posted, but the T emblems are simple to remove, spray paint color of choice, then reinstall w 3M double sided tape

My dual motor blacked out was purchased from Abstract Ocean.

What was your process for debadging the original Dual Motor? Heat and floss and Goo Gone? Did you have to treat the paint of the car anyway after removing the original? Is it easier to remove and put on Abstract Ocean or just to plasti dip myself?

Last edited:
Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I actually really wanted to order these but then it would force me to chrome delete the Dual Motor emblem as well so then I went down a rabbit hole and looks like I'm going to attempt to Plasti Dip all of them. Seems like an easy solution to do for less than $10.

Here's some spare emblems I bought earlier this year when I was supposed to take delivery of my LR back in March. I ended up buying & using the Mr Emblem T badge on my car, and the one pictured to the left of it is from Amazon. It's ever so slightly smaller than the factory T emblem, but it's curved correctly to fit onto the Model Y.

The other is the T E S L A matte black emblem that I bought as an impulse, but don't really like how it advertises that much on the back and never opened it up. If anyone is interested in these, I'll let them go dirt cheap since I'll never use them.

Rear-Emblems1.jpg

Rear-Emblems2.jpg
Hey man, was wonder if you still have the spacers? I have commented on your FS post. I am local in Walnut and can pick up.