Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blacking out emblems makes a huge difference šŸ˜

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was your process for debadging the original Dual Motor? Heat and floss and Goo Gone? Did you have to treat the paint of the car anyway after removing the original? Is it easier to remove and put on Abstract Ocean or just to plasti dip myself?

Just go over the Dual Motor badging with a heat gun (lightly & evenly so you don't cook the paint) or with a hair dryer, just to soften up the tape underneath the letters. Then use a fishing line (thinner & stronger than floss) and just work it slowly back & forth in a sawing motion and the letters will pop right off. If you need to, go over the left over tape still on the car with the heat gun to soften it up, and then just use your thumb and just 'roll' it off. You'll get 95% of it off that way, and then just use some Goo-Gone or some other adhesive remover on a rag and wipe the area to make sure it's completely clean. Then use some isopropyl alcohol or cleaner to get the greasy Goo-Gone off the paint, and finally use some polish or detail spray on a rag and wipe the area afterwards. It'll look as good as new.

Same method applies when taking off the T emblems. If you're replacing the emblems with new ones, use painters tape to mark the positions of the T emblem point, or where the Dual Motor badge sits on the trunk. The heat gun and Goo-Gone won't lift or remove the painters tape.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
What was your process for debadging the original Dual Motor? Heat and floss and Goo Gone? Did you have to treat the paint of the car anyway after removing the original? Is it easier to remove and put on Abstract Ocean or just to plasti dip myself?
Yep. Standard heat and floss. Easy to remove. Paint underneath was good - but I used minimal heat and max floss to avoid paint issues. Then goo gone & cleaners to prepare the blank space. Then just reapply the new blacked out AO dual motor badge and viola!

I got the stick-on set from Etsy, but am having difficulty in trying to figure out how to get them to stick. On the insides, there is some red cushy material which I thought was some double sided tape. It is not sticky to the touch. I thought that there might be a thin part to peel off before puting them onto the chrome emblems, but nothing comes off. You can see in the pictures where I have tried to find something around the edges in certain spots, but nothing comes off of the red material. I see others here who have used these same parts, and wonder how they got these to stick.

Attachments

• EMBLEM 01.jpg
    EMBLEM 01.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 93
  • EMBLEM 02.jpg
    EMBLEM 02.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 39
I got the stick-on set from Etsy, but am having difficulty in trying to figure out how to get them to stick. On the insides, there is some red cushy material which I thought was some double sided tape. It is not sticky to the touch. I thought that there might be a thin part to peel off before puting them onto the chrome emblems, but nothing comes off. You can see in the pictures where I have tried to find something around the edges in certain spots, but nothing comes off of the red material. I see others here who have used these same parts, and wonder how they got these to stick.
Take a razor blade knife and peel one of the corners up. Hard to get off but can be done. Adhesive is below the red.

He said September 1st to restock.
Mr. Emblem actually replied? I thought most items were out of stock Bc Tesla sent out a cease and desist letters to companies selling/modifying Tesla OEM parts?? RPM tesla used to paint the OEM emblems but then took it down.

Iā€™ve been hitting up Mr. Emblem but no response. His work looks legit.
Iā€™ve brought OEM emblems to auto body shops but they donā€™t come out looking as nice, so waiting for a restock.

Mr. Emblem actually replied? I thought most items were out of stock Bc Tesla sent out a cease and desist letters to companies selling/modifying Tesla OEM parts?? RPM tesla used to paint the OEM emblems but then took it down.

Iā€™ve been hitting up Mr. Emblem but no response. His work looks legit.
Iā€™ve brought OEM emblems to auto body shops but they donā€™t come out looking as nice, so waiting for a restock.
Ok so Mr. Emblem just relied to me on IG. He canā€™t restock oem emblems Bc Tesla wonā€™t sell him any. I asked him if he could paint them if I sent him emblems but said not worth his time. But he did say heā€™s starting to produce something of his own soon.