Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackView 650 Rear camera/ Tesla sunshade issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my Blackview 650 installed for a month, and so far love the front camera. The rear camera is darker due to my tint, but the real issue is the stress of using the Tesla sunshade being put on the rear camera. Couple that with some days the interior reaching 130F, The adhesive softens and causes the camera to lose adhesion

I'm not concerned about the camera on its own, but how have any of you owners dealt with the rear sunshade when using the rear camera? I am loath to make a cutout for the camera in the beautiful shade.

1. find stronger adhesive?
2. Build a custom 3D print molded support block for the other side of the camera to wedge between it and the glass?
3. Butcher the sunshade, then custom rework a small cutout for the camera to fit? (no, I really really don't want to do this)

Let me know if pics are needed.

So I've had my Blackview 650 installed for a month, and so far love the front camera. The rear camera is darker due to my tint, but the real issue is the stress of using the Tesla sunshade being put on the rear camera. Couple that with some days the interior reaching 130F, The adhesive softens and causes the camera to lose adhesion

I'm not concerned about the camera on its own, but how have any of you owners dealt with the rear sunshade when using the rear camera? I am loath to make a cutout for the camera in the beautiful shade.

1. find stronger adhesive?
2. Build a custom 3D print molded support block for the other side of the camera to wedge between it and the glass?
3. Butcher the sunshade, then custom rework a small cutout for the camera to fit? (no, I really really don't want to do this)

Let me know if pics are needed.

I just got the rear shade and my rear Blackvue camera prevents it from being installed. I haven't give much thought to a solution but if the camera is mounted on the glass, as mine is, the only solution is to 1) reposition the camera so the shade spring wire fits properly around the window plastic trim and 2) cut an opening in the shade fabric for the camera. The opening will have to be properly stitched to prevent the fabric from fraying.

I found a solution for you.

tent.JPG

Not sure if this matters, but the interior of my S has been up to 120-130 degrees F lately. No problem with the adhesion of my Blackvue (2 years old). Uses the routine peel off 3M red mounting tape supplied with the camera (...and they do provide a spare in the box). FWIW, I was compulsive about cleaning the glass (and my hands) with isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry before mounting. After mounting, I stepped outside to check the adhesion patch. If I saw any major gaps, got back into the car and applied a whole lot more pressure on the mounting bracket to be sure the entire adhesive pad was well stuck down. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I might just have been lucky in positioning my camera, but the Tesla sunshade fits fine with the camera mounted on the glass - without repositioning the camera or altering the sunshade. Here's a few pictures of my really dirty Tesla (I'm on vacation, so it's been a while since last wash :))

View from the outside:
IMG_3490.JPG.jpeg

View from the inside:
IMG_3489.JPG.jpeg

I might just have been lucky in positioning my camera, but the Tesla sunshade fits fine with the camera mounted on the glass - without repositioning the camera or altering the sunshade. Here's a few pictures of my really dirty Tesla (I'm on vacation, so it's been a while since last wash :))

Thanks for the photos. Looks like just repositioning the camera does the trick.

So this is my third attempt at mounting. I cleaned the window tint and back of the camera using alcohol. Cut the replacement VHB for the front to fit the back unit. I pretty much mounted it in the same location and had been wrapping the sunshade around as in the above posts. I just found that maybe I didn't adhere it properly or the combined temps and angular stress on mounting cause the peeling/delamination.

Thus, my piece of paper wrapped in black duct tape to make a shim on the lens side of the camera. We'll see how sitting in the parking lot today in the sun will do at 130F. I forgot to snag a picture after re-installing the sunshade. Perhaps this afternoon.

IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG

Holding up well for day 1, but it's overcast here in the Bay Area today, so no 130F temps to go against. These are from this afternoon around 12:30, and all is well, no shifting of the image as i watch on wifi, no more rear camera disconnects. I tucked the shade as best I can, and it seems to be much more stable with the "shim" added.
IMG_5518.JPG
IMG_5519.JPG

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread (realize it's from 2015 but still relevant today). The photos are great and this is very helpful. Having just joined the family we are looking towards the summer already and thinking about adding the Pano sunshades and the rear lift gate one. Glad to have found this particular thread because we also now have a Blackview and couldn't figure out if the rear lift gate shade was even an option--didn't want to ruin the shade by cutting it and finding it didn't fit properly afterwards.

BTW I see from the Blackvue specs (DR650S) that it's operating temp is rated up to 140F and with the 8.0 software addition of Cabin Overheating Protection that triggers at 104F, I think we should be fine with the camera. We have not elected to go with tinting at this point so both the software and shade will help in keeping the interior cooler.