Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to install the rear camera and would like to know if somebody attached the camera to the plastic siding instead of the rear window. If yes, are you happy with the decision and is it holding fine on this surface. I am a little concerned for sticking the camera on the wire heater pellicle (potentially damaging the pellicle if removing the camera). I would also like the option of installing a Rear Liftgate Sunshade that would better fit.

I just installed my blackvue over the weekend using the blendmount.
I ended up tapping into the constant power in the driver side panel using this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078939GZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut the RJ11 tip and connected it to a cigarette lighter with the red and black wire.

What model Blendmount did you use? That looks really good. They are also SUPER expensive. I bought one of the 3D printed EDR-AUTO rearview mounts for my blackvue but it sits way to far back under the selfdrive camera housing so about the top 5th of the video frame is obscured by the self drive camera cover, and just pointing it down more makes the hood take up about a quarter or more of the frame.

We do not understand why there are some difficulties in setting up blackvue mount as you can see here it is very simple to clips without breaking anything

Go directly on vidéo to 7m50s

If you want another blackvue Mount I can send it to you for $ 20 with paypal
Contact me in PM

I purchased one of the mounts for the Model X (post 2017) since my X is a 2019 model. I had it professional installed and it seems fine. The fit is not perfect, but it works. The only complaint I have is that the camera sits to far back under the self drive camera housing so the top 20% or so of the video frame is obscured by that black camera housing. Just angling it down does not help as the hood then takes about about 25% of the frame.

This is what it looks like from the camera
Blavkvue Front.jpg

the mount needs to move the blackvue camera forward about 2cm or so, so it is not obscured by the self drive camera housing. I would discourage anyone from buying this in it's current form. If you create an updated version I would be interested in trying it, but don't plan on paying to test if it works.

If I had the 3D plans, I could probably just get it adjusted myself.

Last edited:
The trailer pigtail is always on. 20 amp fuse. It is intended to power a trailer brake controller. I use it to power the Blackvue and a bunch of other equipment installed under the deck in back.
Just curious, but have you had to replace your 12V battery?

mines dead now, I thought it was a recent software update or the blackvue... or it could just be my luck since the car was used and from 2016

What model Blendmount did you use? That looks really good. They are also SUPER expensive. I bought one of the 3D printed EDR-AUTO rearview mounts for my blackvue but it sits way to far back under the selfdrive camera housing so about the top 5th of the video frame is obscured by the self drive camera cover, and just pointing it down more makes the hood take up about a quarter or more of the frame.

I ordered the blend mount BBV-2035! They hooked me up with an invite link, you can get 12% off here
Get 12% off your purchase!

And I got some photos of it here are my ig
KITT the Model X on Instagram: “Thanks @blendmount for the perfect mount for my model X! I no longer have to worry about my blackvue dr900s falling down in this Texas…”

Just curious, but have you had to replace your 12V battery?

mines dead now, I thought it was a recent software update or the blackvue... or it could just be my luck since the car was used and from 2016

No. I have had no 12v issues at all. Not only is the BlackVue always on, I also have a cellular router. a small Linux server and some Ham Radio equipment that are always on. Similar situation in my Model S, never had a replacement in the three years I had the vehicle.

Reactions: vthreee