Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it not be great if Teslas cameras functioned as Dash Cams? They are just missing a loop recording option and a way to view and download. Is that really a lot to ask for?

This might be practical with AP 2, depending on exactly what that turns out to be.

The current front camera is a fairly narrow angle monochrome unit, and thus not well suited for dash camera duty.

On the Model S the raw feed is processed by the AP chip on the windshield, connected to the rest of the car only by CANBus. (Not sure how the X is set up here - the EyeQ3 chip isn't in the windshield.)

• Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed
I installed mine today. I used a second cable channel next to the original one. It looks pretty clean. The hardest part for me was to take of the rear trim. I broke two clip holders. There is no way those will come out without breaking. I used JB weld to glue them back together. They will be Ok. I was going to splice the power from the plug on the driver side but the cables seemed too weak. I bought a memory saver and turned that in to a power for the dashcam. All in all it looks great. Thanks for all the tips by multiple X owners. Brett the Nerdy Engineer gets most of the point, thanks Brett....

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Anyone know an installer in NYC/NNJ?
Dashcam Installer will be in Pittsburgh January 9th-11th and New York January 12th-15th | Tesla Motors
"Submitted by lilbean on December 7, 2016
Johnny from Calibred Customs will be doing installations on Teslas. I got 4 BlackVue cameras and he did an amazing job. He has done about 80 Teslas.
http://calibredcustoms.com
Johnny 310-654-0532"

I'm having a 4 camera install in my X by Johnny on January 11th then he is going to NYC. He isn't cheap but everything I have read is that he is really good and has lots of experience with the Model X.

I installed mine today. I used a second cable channel next to the original one. It looks pretty clean. The hardest part for me was to take of the rear trim. I broke two clip holders. There is no way those will come out without breaking. I used JB weld to glue them back together. They will be Ok. I was going to splice the power from the plug on the driver side but the cables seemed too weak. I bought a memory saver and turned that in to a power for the dashcam. All in all it looks great. Thanks for all the tips by multiple X owners. Brett the Nerdy Engineer gets most of the point, thanks Brett....
Too bad about breaking those clips. However, you didn't have to remove the rear hatch trim. I was able to slide the cable through the trim by tying it to a cable-tie, then working the cable-tie through the trim and then pulling the wire through.