Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Oceanwolf , I'm glad my video helped! It definitely feels good knowing that I helped some people out with that dashcam installation video!
I also used your other video to connect to permanent 12V source through OBD II port. The cable of the connector at the kickpanel is too thin, I was afraid to damage it by using a quick splice connector. I went to auto zone and bought a memory saver. I couldn't wait for an amazon purchase. After $16, I got the thing working. My only problem is it look lik I installed the Rear Camera upside down. The software allows you to watch it, the box had an extra sticky pad, maybe I will just take it off and reinstall.

What sensitivity settings do you use on your Blackvue? I have mine set to factory defaults and driving on SF streets I got dozens of impact notifications..for every dip, pothole or manhole cover literally.

I checked the notification options and there doesn't seem to be an option to disable them while in driving mode. Very irritating when your phone keeps buzzing due to false alarms.

A couple of notes after my DIY installation of Blackvue.
  • Make sure that the cable for rear camera is plugged on the driver's side. I don't know why I did it the other way, but my live view was upside down. Luckily there is an extra adhesive in the package, it helped to resolve the problem
  • Trim gap above the driver side is rather large. The power cable was coming out. I used one of the cable clips at the corner of the trim gap that came with the camera. It keeps all of the cables in place.
  • Brett cut his cable channel shorter than mine. I kept it all the way to the Tesla camera cover. The adhesive is not strong enough to keep it stuck to the glass. I will either keep it shorter or if it works out using a heat gun, I will bend it to the same contour of the original cable channel. The package came with 3 cable channels so I have enough to play with. The cable channel has a slot to get the cables back in which helps a lot.
  • JB Weld, the grey stuff, did not do a good job on gluing the parts of the trim that I broke. I bought JB Plastic weld, it is just amazing. Trim is back in its place and I have no problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
What sensitivity settings do you use on your Blackvue? I have mine set to factory defaults and driving on SF streets I got dozens of impact notifications..for every dip, pothole or manhole cover literally.

I checked the notification options and there doesn't seem to be an option to disable them while in driving mode. Very irritating when your phone keeps buzzing due to false alarms.

I turned off the alerting sounds for the events. I was getting them all the time, too. What I would like to see is the sensitivity of the motion. Mine seems like it's always recording even on the second to lowest motion setting.

@Nerdy_Engineer I also watched your video and did the 2-ch install myself. I, too, ended up breaking a few tabs removing that trim on the hatch. I followed your tip and lowered the hatch so I can get a straight shot through the rubber hose connecting the boots.

@K-MTG I got the Netgear Zing hotspot from FreedomPop with the basic free 500 MB/month plan and set the BlackVue cloud setting to notify events also. I did use it to watch a few short clips over the cloud and I was amazed how few MBs are used during the streaming. I have video on both channels set to best as well. By the way, if anyone gets the Netgear Zing from FreedomPop, they're sending them out with the wrong battery so initiate a support ticket right away so they can send you the correct one.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge.

• Helpful
@Nerdy_Engineer I also watched your video and did the 2-ch install myself. I, too, ended up breaking a few tabs removing that trim on the hatch. I followed your tip and lowered the hatch so I can get a straight shot through the rubber hose connecting the boots.

@K-MTG I got the Netgear Zing hotspot from FreedomPop with the basic free 500 MB/month plan and set the BlackVue cloud setting to notify events also. I did use it to watch a few short clips over the cloud and I was amazed how few MBs are used during the streaming. I have video on both channels set to best as well. By the way, if anyone gets the Netgear Zing from FreedomPop, they're sending them out with the wrong battery so initiate a support ticket right away so they can send you the correct one.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge.
For anyone attempting this install, you don't need to remove the trim on the hatch (very stiff and hard to remove) and avoid breaking clips. Simply attach the blackvue cable to the largest, stiffest cable tie you can find with something like string. Then use the cable-tie to find an open path through the trim and pull it through, along with the cable. Keep poking around until you find a path. Pull the trim down slightly and shine a light through to help figure out a good spot.

This probably won't make much sense to people that haven't attempted the install yet. Unfortunately, I didn't video the complete step, only the final outcome. But it might help to better understand what I'm trying to explain.

Sorry you ended up breaking your tabs like I did. I added vandacca's suggestion to the my video description to try to help other people avoid breaking the tabs off of their trim too. It's a small price to pay for the amount that we all saved by doing the installation ourselves.

Reactions: wang5150 and ohmman
Going through the process myself but wanted to add you can directly pass the cable from the front seats to the second row using a zip tie. It saves you from having to tuck along the front seams but can take a while to push the zip back and forth repeatedly trying to find an opening. Attached a photo, sorry, not very clear.

Attachments

• Tesla.JPG
    Tesla.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 162
Question: anybody try splitting the obd2 port for both the blackvue and an extra USB?

I have an old iPhone 5s with a free line from T-Mobile. The battery is in fair condition. It dies unless plugged in continuously. I wanted to split the obd2 power to the blackvue and the iPhone for continuous charging? Will this work?

Does anyone have any experience with installing 4 Blackvue cameras on the MX? One on each side, front and rear? Seems like that is what you would want to do. If it is simple....
Yes, actually Calibred Customs has done many. He's the installer on my 1st post.
He does travel to all states.
I'd give him a call and see when he will be in TX.

Is anyone still using Blackvue Cloud with Freedompop 500 mb free plan? I've read above that the Netgear router can be just plugged into one of the USB ports and that provides constant power/constant hotspot for the dash cam. Any recent experiences this this?