Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,
Today, my installer came over and we figured out a pretty clean way to install the Blackvue dashcam on my wife's Model X. If you want his contact info PM me. He's a mobile installer in the SoCal area. It took about 5 hours, but we were doing quite a bit of exploration, so it probably won't take him that long in the future.
I apologize that I did not document every step of the way, but I did document the key aspects that set it apart from the Model S Dashcam install.
Biggest take away here is that we WERE able to use the existing windshield channel to run the rear camera and power wires to the dashcam. For me this was pretty huge as I like to maintain OEM look.
We were also lucky to find constant 12V at the drivers kick panel.
I hope this helps anyone looking to do this!

Here's the shots I did take:

Just figuring out how to get the housing open and how we will run the wires:
IMG_4166.jpg

Finally giving in and ripping the channel off the windshield
:
IMG_4167.jpg

Got the housing off finally!
IMG_4168.jpg

Yikes.....there's no going back now!!
IMG_4169.jpg

Dashcam cables in the channel, and new 3M tape in place:
IMG_4170.jpg

Looks like they have already provisioned the housing for 2 forward looking Autopilot cameras!!
IMG_4171.jpg

close-up of the cables going into the channel:
IMG_4172.jpg

Running the cables along the A-pillar down the side of the drivers FWD, we tucked the cable along the headliner.
IMG_4174.jpg

Finally out the back to the existing harness to the interior of the hatch:
IMG_4175.jpg

Tapped into the existing constant 12V down by the drivers kick panel for power to the camera:
IMG_4177.jpg

Hi Guys,
Today, my installer came over and we figured out a pretty clean way to install the Blackvue dashcam on my wife's Model X. If you want his contact info PM me. He's a mobile installer in the SoCal area. It took about 5 hours, but we were doing quite a bit of exploration, so it probably won't take him that long in the future.
I apologize that I did not document every step of the way, but I did document the key aspects that set it apart from the Model S Dashcam install.
Biggest take away here is that we WERE able to use the existing windshield channel to run the rear camera and power wires to the dashcam. For me this was pretty huge as I like to maintain OEM look.
We were also lucky to find constant 12V at the drivers kick panel.
I hope this helps anyone looking to do this!

Here's the shots I did take:

Just figuring out how to get the housing open and how we will run the wires:
View attachment 177893

Finally giving in and ripping the channel off the windshield
:
View attachment 177894

Got the housing off finally!
View attachment 177895

Yikes.....there's no going back now!!
View attachment 177896
Dashcam cables in the channel, and new 3M tape in place:
View attachment 177897

Looks like they have already provisioned the housing for 2 forward looking Autopilot cameras!!
View attachment 177898
close-up of the cables going into the channel:
View attachment 177899

Running the cables along the A-pillar down the side of the drivers FWD, we tucked the cable along the headliner.
View attachment 177901

Finally out the back to the existing harness to the interior of the hatch:
View attachment 177902

Tapped into the existing constant 12V down by the drivers kick panel for power to the camera:
View attachment 177903
This is great. Do you have any pictures of the final install? How much did he charge if you don't mind? I live in LA and will definitely use him if you think the quality was good.

Reactions: K-MTG
Hi Guys. I've had a few requests for the installers info. Company is called Calibred number is (310) 654-0532. I paid him $375.
I didn't take any final shots but essentially the only thing visible are the two cameras and a couple inches of wire total.

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG.
Great install pictures! I was wondering if there was enough space in the mirror channel for the camera cables. Kind of scary that you need to replace the 3M tape, but I guess that's the trade off for a stealthier install. Was it possible to tap the dome lights for the 12V power?

Great install pictures! I was wondering if there was enough space in the mirror channel for the camera cables. Kind of scary that you need to replace the 3M tape, but I guess that's the trade off for a stealthier install. Was it possible to tap the dome lights for the 12V power?

We didn't check the dome lights, we did check the mirror/AP camera assembly, and no luck there.
We didn't actually have to pull the headliner out at all, just the edges to get the rear camera wire tucked along to the back.
the power came down to the drivers kick panel as you see in the last photo.

We didn't check the dome lights, we did check the mirror/AP camera assembly, and no luck there.
We didn't actually have to pull the headliner out at all, just the edges to get the rear camera wire tucked along to the back.
the power came down to the drivers kick panel as you see in the last photo.
@Muzzman1, did your installer consider/look at the wires behind the center console? The little tray above the center console can be removed to expose two wire harnesses (OBD2 + something else). Just curious if you guys considered it and dismissed it for some reason.

@Muzzman1, did your installer consider/look at the wires behind the center console? The little tray above the center console can be removed to expose two wire harnesses (OBD2 + something else). Just curious if you guys considered it and dismissed it for some reason.
Where we tapped into power was adjacent to the obd-2. The wires we used were much more accessible. The obd was tucked up into the xm and UHFS amp. (Same as model S)
So we went to easy access.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: felddy and vandacca
Where we tapped into power was adjacent to the obd-2. The wires we used were much more accessible. The obd was tucked up into the xm and UHFS amp. (Same as model S)
So we went to easy access.
Did you actually see an ODB2 plug? I was under the impression model X only had a tesla data connection plug, and that we would need to fabricate a cable to tap to that.

Not sure about what video compression method is used, but you will go through 500MB in a few days.

It doesn't constantly upload to the cloud, the cloud feature simply allows you to view the footage directly from the camera if an incident were to occur such as if the dash cam detects impact and you receive the push notification. I have been doing that currently for months without an issue

Last edited:
It doesn't constantly upload to the cloud, the cloud feature simply allows you to view the footage directly from the camera if you an incident were to occur such as if the dash cam detects impact and you receive the push notification. I have been doing that currently for months without an issue
Does the camera upload to the cloud when motion is detected? I hoped that was a feature... Mine is sitting on my desk waiting for my car, maybe I can hook it to a 12volt PSU and test it out.

Reactions: Akikiki
Does the camera upload to the cloud when motion is detected? I hoped that was a feature... Mine is sitting on my desk waiting for my car, maybe I can hook it to a 12volt PSU and test it out.

No, however you can set it up so you receive a push notification if motion is detected so you can view the footage live from your phone that streams directly from an SD card. Kind of like having an IP camera oppose to something like a Dropcam.

• Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed