Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-ch or just front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've always had Blackvue cameras on all my cars and my new M3LR is no exception. Yes, I know I have cameras all over the car, but the Blackvue has already paid for itself several times over in our Model S with its great resolution.

However, I'm thinking that with sentry mode, do I really need a rear camera?

If it's a rear collision the Teslacam should be good enough cause I won't need to ID the license plate and Florida doesn't have front plates anyway.
If it's a side collision hit & run or anything else in front of the front doors the front Blackvue will pick it up.

Now parking mode. I would think that the Teslacam might not have better resolution, but it has more coverage and then incident would be closer contact, so Teslacam should be good there.

Plus the rear window with tint will probably require the rear camera to be mounted on the bottom of the glass (maybe with a cutout) and others have said that limits the view.

Anyway, please leave me your constructive opinions .... front/rear or just front.

Last edited:
I have a two channels in my truck, but use Tesla cam for my M3P.
If you do feel the need for a third-party camera on your Tesla, I would certainly get front and rear. Get the rear for exactly the same reasons as the front…resolution and reliability. There’s too many things that happen in the periphery sides and back where you’ll need a camera. Yes, sentry will record those but then it also record the front. So if you think it’s necessary to backup the front sentry camera with a 3rd party cam, I would think you would also want to do the same in the rear.