Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 2ch dashcam - corrupt files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
I installed a dashcam last weekend. Worked great. A couple of days ago went to pull some footage and realized that after 4 days or so all the movie files are not playable. So I stuck a different SD card in it, after less than a day went through all the movies, all played but one. WTF? What use is a dashcam if it's not reliable? Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I'm on firmware 2.004 (July 1). Just wanted to check with more people if there is a simple solution before sending it back.

Are you using the Blackvue microSD card or another make/model? You ned a specific high speed card to handle the data rate. How big is the card (is it larger than what is supported)? Have you reformatted the card? You can do this in the camera by holding the button on the right hand side down until you hear the beep, then hold another 5 seconds, then letting go. Check the manual for more info.

Are you using the Blackvue microSD card or another make/model?
The first time no, the second time (with only 1 file corrupted) yes - I used the supplied card. It doesn't say Blackvue on it though. Should it?

How big is the card (is it larger than what is supported)?
128GB first, 32GB which came in the package.

Have you reformatted the card? You can do this in the camera by holding the button on the right hand side down until you hear the beep, then hold another 5 seconds, then letting go.
Yes, I did format the 128GB card. The one that came with was already formatted.

About to go pick up a UHS-3 V30 128GB card (those are tested to be be sufficient for continuous 4K recording) and see if I get any problems with that.

I've had pretty poor luck with a 128GB PNY card that I've been using in the same model blackvue. Every three days it was speaking out "check sd card" and I had to reformat it. After a few weeks I gave up and went back to the 16GB card it came with. I might try with a 32GB card to see how it works.

The first time no, the second time (with only 1 file corrupted) yes - I used the supplied card. It doesn't say Blackvue on it though. Should it?

128GB first, 32GB which came in the package.

Yes, I did format the 128GB card. The one that came with was already formatted.

About to go pick up a UHS-3 V30 128GB card (those are tested to be be sufficient for continuous 4K recording) and see if I get any problems with that.
Please post how the UHS-3 V30 128G card works out! And if you find out anything about the minimum spec required.
Thanks,
John

FWIW I'm using a Kingston 128GB Class 10 UHS-I card in my 650-2CH and it's been working fine continuously since I got it about 2 months ago. I check the recordings regularly and have not seen any corrupted files. The dashcam is running firmware v2.003

My 128GB card was a 128GB version of the Samsung EVO card ranked #5 on the link provided by lic2drl. Reading that post though has me thinking they didn't quite get their reasoning right, or blackvue software is badly designed if in fact faster cards cause bad performance (faster card should not cause more data to be written or read). I can see faster cards overheating, so fair point there. Also none of their cards have any "V" ratings, which is the new standard for SD class ratings for sustained video recordings. I will report back once I get the new V30 card and have some time to run it for few days. In the fall I'll be doing a 5K+ miles road trip, so that will test it thoroughly too.

From Pittasoft's Blackvue support pages (http://www.blackvue.com/support/downloads/)

5. MicroSD Card support: DR650GW Series models support up to 128GB cards, and DR750LW-2CH supports up to 64GB cards, with a few caveats:
a. Compatibility is guaranteed only with the official BlackVue microSD cards.
b. In case your card is an SDXC model, formatting directly from the BlackVue will cause it to become unreadable on Mac OS computers.
Formatting the card from the PC Viewer for Mac or Windows will prevent this issue.

The only time I've had trouble with mine is when Service failed to reconnect the power cable securely and didn't tell me they'd disconnected it in the first place - that cost me a day of fairly remote canyon video. 32GB and 64GB cards have been fine - trying a SanDisk 128GB SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 card now. Following step 5b above.

Just sharing my experience using Blackvue DR650GW 2 ch.
I use the Blackvue supplied 16GB microSD card, and configured the dashcam for only event recording caused by impact. The G setting on park is set higher than during normal drive. In that way, the 16GB card will last me about 4 days before it writes-over. YMMV depending on the roughness of the road you travel.

When I see a scene that I want to record, I just touch the Blackvue to start a "manual recording". I am quite happy with this set-up in my 1000 km drive to Banff. When I stop for supercharging, I have the opportunity to download any interesting scene captured. After the trip, I edited the captured videos and produced a movie for each day's of the travel.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones