Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 - Are only options for rear camera drilling hole or showing cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email notification today of a new response in this thread from egiljae. In that message, which included part of what I believe he attempted to post, he indicated that he had attempted to post yesterday, but that he thinks his posts still require moderator approval. That would appear to make sense, as this thread was also appearing to have a new post made by him at 11:59 AM today, but that post isn't actually here. (Of course if the moderators approve it, perhaps it will show up before this one, making me look silly.)

In any case, I wanted to post to say it seems like egiljae is trying to follow up, and hopefully will be able to soon.

I received an email notification today of a new response in this thread from egiljae. In that message, which included part of what I believe he attempted to post, he indicated that he had attempted to post yesterday, but that he thinks his posts still require moderator approval. That would appear to make sense, as this thread was also appearing to have a new post made by him at 11:59 AM today, but that post isn't actually here. (Of course if the moderators approve it, perhaps it will show up before this one, making me look silly.)

In any case, I wanted to post to say it seems like egiljae is trying to follow up, and hopefully will be able to soon.
I'm trying:) Third time's the charm, I hope! Earlier today, it seemed like the forum had a glitch, because I posted my reply, it was visible,
but when I tried to click page 3, it bounced back to page 2 (still showed 3 pages).

Here goes my original post:

@Egil: I also saw your post on elbilsforum.no. I have a quick question: If you managed to get the wire through the righthand side grommet, why not just route the wire directly to the left to the rear camera and not all the way around? Thanks!!
To my understanding, the rear hatch consists of two layers/sheets of aluminium. When you route the cable through the grommet, you can either drill a hole to exit the wall,
or route the cable back to the rear lights and then left and down beside the defroster connector/electronics.

The poster who posted after you mentions a post you had on some other forums. I'd be very interested in more details on this that I could share with whatever professional I find to do my installation.
It's basically the same post, but in norwegian.

Is that some sort of a routing cable that we see in the pictures? You somehow push that through, and then pull the cable back out with it, or something?
Yes, it is a nylon cord (don't know the english term) that you push through, tie the cable to the end and then pull back. I used one like this:

402209.jpg

By going through the rear lights, and then around the other side, are you somehow coming in to the lights on the back side of the wall people drill through, but crossing over at the lights, and then going up the other side in front of the wall people drill through?
Exactly. When you route the cable back to the lights, you will find that in the area where the trunk light is located,
there are two large holes that allow you to cross the outer sheet of aluminium and end up on the other side of the wall.

Any additional pictures, or more description would really be helpful and appreciated.

It's not easy to see, but I have marked the holes, and the cable route.

IMG_20150526_171402.jpg
IMG_20150526_172803.jpg

And just to be certain, the rear camera does wind up here, right?
Sure does:

IMG_20150606_220824.jpg

That was a really helpful first post, and I've given you appropriate reputation points! Thanks!

Thanks too, very much, for any additional assistance.
Thanks, and no problem :D

Any news here? Would really like to know the answer... :smile:

Seems like there are low moderator activity? I think it's the fourth time I have tried posting..

This post made it through.

Perhaps you can now try the other posts again, and they'll work.

Another option would be to participate in a couple of other threads with some posts, so that you have a few more posts under your belt. There may be some minimum number of posts needed to post pictures or something.

This post made it through.

Perhaps you can now try the other posts again, and they'll work.

Another option would be to participate in a couple of other threads with some posts, so that you have a few more posts under your belt. There may be some minimum number of posts needed to post pictures or something.
Well, my first post contained photos. I'll post like a madman to get my post count up.

Here's a few more pics from my install if that helps at all.

Thanks very much!

You wrote in the Teslarati article that the "jumping the gap" wire was barely noticeable with the hatch open, and that you didn't see it at all with the hatch closed. Looking at the pictures above, it looks like the wire might hang down and dangle with the hatch closed. Am I missing something?

And are you at all concerned about the wear and tear on the cable, and what might happen over time? I understand those cables are kind of fragile.

Thanks very much!

You wrote in the Teslarati article that the "jumping the gap" wire was barely noticeable with the hatch open, and that you didn't see it at all with the hatch closed. Looking at the pictures above, it looks like the wire might hang down and dangle with the hatch closed. Am I missing something?

And are you at all concerned about the wear and tear on the cable, and what might happen over time? I understand those cables are kind of fragile.

This is how I routed my cable as well. You can't see it with the hatch closed, and I don't notice it at all with it open. I am not concerned on wear and tear. I left slack and it doesn't pull at all.

I installed mine this weekend. Use the jump method. Not concerned about the hanging cable and its definitely not visible when I'm driving which is the most important thing for me. Thanks to all the posts on the subject. It definitely helped make the install easier.

Yay, my post made it through! :)

For anyone confused, that post is actually upthread here: Blackvue 650 - Are only options for rear camera drilling hole or showing cable? - Page 3

Thanks very, very much for persevering in getting that posted, and for the extra work you did diagramming the photos, and answering our questions. Knowing that it's just a question of finding a professional who can route the cable and disassemble and reassemble a couple of trim pieces should make this easier. I can now basically show potential installers the pictures and say, "can you do this?" And I now understand what's going on!

Many, many thanks!

Edit: I just realized something that was probably obvious to everyone else, but as I said, I'm not good at this stuff. Since we're using that nylon routing tool cable to push through, and then pull the camera cable back, I believe that means we have to start the routing process at the point where the rear camera mounts, and work backwards, right?

The only downside I see to this is everyone talks about how difficult getting through the narrow sleeve between the car and the hatch is, and that will now be the last step in the process (before the fairly simple headliner routing through the car) instead of the first step. If for some reason the chosen installer just can't get that part done the other work will have been wasted effort.

Is this correct?

Edit 2: Or, I guess, we could get the cable through that sleeve first, and then use the routing tool to go up through the light are to the cable, and pull it back through, and then do the same on the other side--run the routing cable down form the point the camera will be mounted first, and then pull the cable up. (I'm really slow with this stuff sometimes.)

Edit 3: OK, I am really, really slow. I think I just figured out that once the routing cable is through, the camera cable could be pulled through from either end. (The routing cable doesn't have to go back the way it went it--it could just keep going, and go all the way through.) Right?

Last edited:
Edit: I just realized something that was probably obvious to everyone else, but as I said, I'm not good at this stuff. Since we're using that nylon routing tool cable to push through, and then pull the camera cable back, I believe that means we have to start the routing process at the point where the rear camera mounts, and work backwards, right?

The only downside I see to this is everyone talks about how difficult getting through the narrow sleeve between the car and the hatch is, and that will now be the last step in the process (before the fairly simple headliner routing through the car) instead of the first step. If for some reason the chosen installer just can't get that part done the other work will have been wasted effort.

Is this correct?

Edit 2: Or, I guess, we could get the cable through that sleeve first, and then use the routing tool to go up through the light are to the cable, and pull it back through, and then do the same on the other side--run the routing cable down form the point the camera will be mounted first, and then pull the cable up. I'm really slow with this stuff sometimes.

You basically have two options. You can tie a string to the end of the cord, pull the string back, and then use the string to pull the camera cable from the rubber grommet and back.
The other option would be to pull the whole nylon cord back, and tie the cable to the other end.

So I have found an installer in Syracuse who can install the rear camera for me. I just have a couple more questions for you, egiljae, as they may help him.

I had mistakenly thought that there was one center piece you were popping off on the bottom of the hatch, where you were crossing over, but looking at the pictures more closely, and at my hatch, I realize that you popped off both handles, on the right bottom and left bottom of the hatch. The one on the passenger side also has the button to close the hatch, or mine does anyway, as I have the tech package. How hard is it to get those off and back on? Any tricks to it that my installer should be aware of?

Thanks again!

So I have found an installer in Syracuse who can install the rear camera for me. I just have a couple more questions for you, egiljae, as they may help him.

I had mistakenly thought that there was one center piece you were popping off on the bottom of the hatch, where you were crossing over, but looking at the pictures more closely, and at my hatch, I realize that you popped off both handles, on the right bottom and left bottom of the hatch. The one on the passenger side also has the button to close the hatch, or mine does anyway, as I have the tech package. How hard is it to get those off and back on? Any tricks to it that my installer should be aware of?

Thanks again!
It's quite easy to pop them off. Start from the top of the handles (top as of when you are looking at them with the hatch open).
Then just use a plastic tool or something similar to pry, just so much that you can pull them with your hands. They will pop out.