Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy - $310, including 32 Gig Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it be possible to mount the blackvue at the top of the windshield, or would the curvature of the windshield cause a problem with the image quality? I'm thinking of mounting it up high out of sight, easier to conceal wires as well.

I sent them an email and was told $690 for the install. Pretty pricey!

The difference with this is the fact the disassembly required to install here. The autopilot system is located in the rear view assembly and takes great patience and skill to do this, thus reflecting in price.

Many shops will just run behind the dash, but IMO behind rearview mirrors gives the best visibility and looks the best by far.

When I brought my model X to SoCal Auto Sound for the Blackvue installation in early April, my Model X was the first one they were about to work on. They had installed on several Model S before. When they asked me if I wanted them open up the conduit and possible the auto pilot assembly to possibly feed the wires, I said no. I did not want to assume additional risks. For the on-demand power, I had them install a pair of USB 2.1amp adapter located next the existing USB ports in the center console. I'm now having Blackvue cloud enabled and connected to a 4G FreedomPop mingle device. The issue is I get the alerts for detected motions, but I can view the live feed. It kept getting disconnected when I clicked on the video icon for life feed through the cloud. Has anyone been able to view life feed using Blackvue cloud?

When I brought my model X to SoCal Auto Sound for the Blackvue installation in early April, my Model X was the first one they were about to work on. They had installed on several Model S before. When they asked me if I wanted them open up the conduit and possible the auto pilot assembly to possibly feed the wires, I said no. I did not want to assume additional risks. For the on-demand power, I had them install a pair of USB 2.1amp adapter located next the existing USB ports in the center console. I'm now having Blackvue cloud enabled and connected to a 4G FreedomPop mingle device. The issue is I get the alerts for detected motions, but I can view the live feed. It kept getting disconnected when I clicked on the video icon for life feed through the cloud. Has anyone been able to view life feed using Blackvue cloud?

Works for me but it is kind of buggy sometimes, I have a similar setup with the netgear mingle from FreedomPop. Works fine but not perfect.

I just ordered one... (Amazon w/ 128GB) Anyone done the install themselves? My detail shop said they could take a crack at it or help me, but my Model X is the first X they have seen. Called several places in town, only found one shop offering these cameras, but they wanted way too much for camera + install. They won't touch it if I don't buy the camera through them. Same with most everywhere else. Recently went through this with my pickup trick I bought last year. Put a Falcon HD dash cam in it myself - it's just OK. Couldn't find anyone around here (Denver, CO) that had what I wanted for anything close to what I was willing to pay. Meh... Can't be that hard to install. That and most places got funny once I told them what car they would be working on.

@Monkey , I'm in the same situation. I ordered one off of Amazon recently, and am trying to decide if I want to try to install it myself or if I can find a shop that won't charge an outrageous amount for the installation. I'm also in the Denver area so let me know if you find a decent shop that you trust.

• Informative
Reactions: Softwizard
So I got my 650 w/ 128GB yesterday. On a side note, when I go through Amazon's search to find the same product, it shows a price of $458. I don't understand how the link I sent gives such a great price, but it still works.

I just ordered one... (Amazon w/ 128GB) Anyone done the install themselves? My detail shop said they could take a crack at it or help me, but my Model X is the first X they have seen. Called several places in town, only found one shop offering these cameras, but they wanted way too much for camera + install. They won't touch it if I don't buy the camera through them. Same with most everywhere else. Recently went through this with my pickup trick I bought last year. Put a Falcon HD dash cam in it myself - it's just OK. Couldn't find anyone around here (Denver, CO) that had what I wanted for anything close to what I was willing to pay. Meh... Can't be that hard to install. That and most places got funny once I told them what car they would be working on.

To answer your question, I am not a stereo/alarm expert, but I think the trick is going to be hiding the cables. There is a long [enough] cable from the front camera to the back camera that will need to be hid in the ceiling panels, plus the power cable needs to be run from the front camera down to a power source other than the 12V jack. I think this is where any good alarm/stereo guy should help.

I am in Dallas-area and found a shop that will do it. I'll send pictures right after and I'll try to figure out how/where he runs the wires.

Reactions: pchan
For me based on my usage it uses about 200MB per month

According to another site Q&A, the front camera uses about 50Mbps in the default 1080i/30fps mode. I think it will blow through 500MB pretty quick. I signed up for a FreedomPop plan, so I'll let you know once I get everything up and running for a month.

I think the big caveat is that it is obviously based on how much you drive.

According to another site Q&A, the front camera uses about 50Mbps in the default 1080i/30fps mode. I think it will blow through 500MB pretty quick. I signed up for a FreedomPop plan, so I'll let you know once I get everything up and running for a month.

I think the big caveat is that it is obviously based on how much you drive.

It only uses the data if you watch the footage live your phone all the time. I use mine to send me a push notification if an impact is detected while my car is parked and if it is impacted I can view the camera live from my phone

It only uses the data if you watch the footage live your phone all the time. I use mine to send me a push notification if an impact is detected while my car is parked and if it is impacted I can view the camera live from my phone

I haven't got my dash cam installed yet, once you get the notification, does it also upload the footage of the notification event or do you have to go back and pull down that video file from the camera later? Just concerned that by the time the notification comes and I pull up the app, the cause of for the notice is done and gone.

Mine is at the highest the firmware allows, another update came out on May 10, I still have to update it to the latest
Updated firmware to 2.003 last night and I was able to view live feed and recorded footage. It's slow, but it met my low expectation. I was able to view recorded footage via the cloud before due to the bug with 128GB card. The new firmware fixed it.

2. Fixed issue where users could not retrieve video file list from 128GB microSD cards via BlackVue Over the Cloud.
3. Fixed issue where “Cloud access failed” voice message was repeated when out of range of Wi-Fi hotspot.

I haven't got my dash cam installed yet, once you get the notification, does it also upload the footage of the notification event or do you have to go back and pull down that video file from the camera later? Just concerned that by the time the notification comes and I pull up the app, the cause of for the notice is done and gone.

That's great to hear. Many members here have helped me over the years, so it was time to give back. This is a great community with a wealth of knowledge and great peeps.

It doesn't upload the footage but you can view it still and access the dash cam remotely