Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy for $310, including 32 Gig card and Power Magic Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called and got an answering service - left a message for James.

Was told by (answering service) they leave the office at 2:30PM Eastern time on Fridays - hours on friday are 9- 2:30PM - but answering service will pick up all weekend.

Was told that James will get the message on Monday morning at 9AM

Did you enter 725 as soon as the recording started playing, or did you enter 1 for sales? James had said he would be there until 4PM eastern time today. But it wouldn't surprise me if the company automatically routes generic sales calls (calls attempting to reach the sales department by pressing 1) to the answering service, at a scheduled time.

Last edited:
See my comments in another thread...PMP not really necessary IMHO, certainly not to protect the 12v battery (required for an ICE vehicle). If you adjust the Park Mode sensitivity level in the Blackvue firmware, you will reduce 'spurious' recordings.

One last question, since I'll get the PMP with this order, is there any reason NOT to use it?

One last question, since I'll get the PMP with this order, is there any reason NOT to use it?

Are my posts not showing up for you or something?

That's a semi-serious question.

Last night you wrote something about there having been no mention of shipping cost with this group buy, though there had been (by me.)

Then today, twice in the last hour or so you posted something that really makes me think you can't see my posts. I'm wondering if there could be something wrong.

The question you just asked, I asked in almost the exact same way upthread, and JPP already answered. I'd copy it below, but if you're not seeing my posts it's not going to help.

Edit: Aww, what the heck. Here is my question, from upthread, and the answer. (I'm bolding the part of my post that you just repeated, efusco.) :

So since we're getting the Power Magic Pro units anyway, would there be any downside to using them in the installation? I'm having my unit installed professionally. I had thought the PMP would, among other things, make the installation simpler for the installer. But I do like what you just wrote about not having to think about powering the unit on or off, even in my garage. Of course I could still leave it powered on all the time using the PMP, so I'm just wondering if there is a downside to using it, other than the expense of the unit itself.

Thanks!

Andy--no real downside risk with the PMP. However, installing the PMP might add some complexity to the install, plus finding a place to hide the PMP itself. For my Blackvue 550 install (no PMP), I needed to just connect 2 wires (red/black) from the OEM Blackvue power cable (I cut off the cigarette lighter plug, kept the in-line fuse holder) to the always on 12v in my headliner under the microphone grille. Power cable ran under the headliner, exited under the inside rear view mirror mount, and a short hop to the right hand side of the front Blackvue unit. No fooling with the firewall, fuse box, add-a-fuse, etc. Now, that said, once we take delivery of my wife's 70D, I will need to scout out what is available under the microphone grille/headliner to see what 12v options are available. Might actually need to find 12v somewhere else (like the OBDC port).

Edit Number Two: It turns out efusco can see my posts, and all is fine. (We've exchanged private messages.) I want to make it clear that I really thought there could be an issue of some kind, and was not trying to make efusco look bad. As I told him privately, I have read many of his posts here, and he is certainly one of the members I have a great deal of respect for.

Last edited:
I guess James is working late. He returned my call just now (3:10pm CST), took the order and said that it should ship on Monday! He estimated shipping at $10.
This is quite nice, I expected it would take weeks to collect orders, group them, then process and maybe I'd get it in a couple of months.

edit: Just got the notification on Passbook- $321.48 was the total with shipping.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Perhaps I will leave it up to the installer, with the understanding that I want the installation to be as clean as possible. I am aware of the power available under the microphone grille, and had considered using it, but I worry about what would happen if Tesla comes up with a use for that connection in the future, as I wouldn't be able to rewire the Blackvue myself.
:

I did not actually use a mating connector to connect to the existing 12v/connector in the headliner. I snapped open the existing connector (3 pins/wires with +12v, ground and ???), stripped and tinned the red & black leads on the Blackvue power cable, laid the leads on top of the connector wires, then snapped the connector closed. Neat and clean, and still leaves the connector open and available for whatever TM needs to use it for (???? the long promised lighted vanity mirrors, perhaps??..:)

I did not actually use a mating connector to connect to the existing 12v/connector in the headliner. I snapped open the existing connector (3 pins/wires with +12v, ground and ???), stripped and tinned the red & black leads on the Blackvue power cable, laid the leads on top of the connector wires, then snapped the connector closed. Neat and clean, and still leaves the connector open and available for whatever TM needs to use it for (???? the long promised lighted vanity mirrors, perhaps??..:)

Thanks again. I'll go over this with the installer, and suggest this option if he is considering going this route.

Almost missed this, didn't realize this was happening today. I called and left a VM for James to call me back. Lets hope I get in on the deal on Monday! Thanks for organizing!

I hope he honors the price for you. Since you were one of the people who had expressed interest in the original thread, I private messaged you yesterday, immediately after starting this thread. I didn't know how quickly things would progress, but as it turned out, things did move fast. I expect you'll be OK.

James told me to call him today (monday) but he's not in the office...??

I also tried to call. No answer.

I haven't had any contact with him since Friday when he processed my order, so I don't know what to tell you. He's been pretty responsive to everyone, so my guess is he will call you back if you leave a message on his voicemail system.

pmoa--when you say "no answer" are you suggesting his voicemail system is not taking messages? I mentioned before that his outgoing message is not personalized. When you enter his extension, are you able to leave a message? If so, I expect you'll be hearing from him, as everyone else has.

I haven't had any contact with him since Friday when he processed my order, so I don't know what to tell you. He's been pretty responsive to everyone, so my guess is he will call you back if you leave a message on his voicemail system.

pmoa--when you say "no answer" are you suggesting his voicemail system is not taking messages? I mentioned before that his outgoing message is not personalized. When you enter his extension, are you able to leave a message? If so, I expect you'll be hearing from him, as everyone else has.

I left him a message. I'm sure he's just busy and I'll wait for his phone call. His greeting was heard just no one picking up.

I have this dash cam camera (650 dual channel), works well. Only thing I've found is that the GPS doesn't work 95% of the time (my unit is placed right by the rear view window), seems like there is some shielding or something in my Tesla (and possibly the ? poor strength of the GPS receiver in the 650) that prevents the signal from coming through. Perhaps try placing it on different parts of the window to see if the GPS works before taking the sticker peel off and mounting it. Otherwise, images are good. Would be interested to hear if others have the same issue after their install.

Others seem to have this complaint too; here's a sample: http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/psa-mddcva-dashcam-install

Ben