Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy, Round 3 - $310, including 32 Gig Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I was asked by @berkeley_ecar if I would consider organizing a third group buy for the Blackvue 650 2 channel dashcam. It has been some time since the second group buy, so I thought, "why not?"

I contacted the company, Rear View Safety, and they were willing to once again provide the dashcams for $310, plus shipping, as before.

Here are links to the original thread and to the thread for the second round:
Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy for $310, including 32 Gig card and Power Magic Pro

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy, Round 2 - $310, including 32 Gig Card

Here is the relevant information:

The current price on Rear View Safety's website for the Blackvue 650, with a 32 gig card is $379.99:
DR650S-2CH | Blackvue 2 Channel 32GB Dash Camera | Rear View Safety

The price they will offer for the group buy is again $310!

(Note that this time, like last time, the Powermagic Pro, which we don't really need with our cars anyway, is not included. It actually wasn't supposed to be included the first time either, but they did include it, due to some miscommunication.

You may order by phone, or via their website. If ordering by phone, please call James at (800) 764-1028, ext 725, and reference discount code TESLALOVESRVS. If you order via their website, just make sure to use the discount code.

Rear View Safety will honor this price through the end of February, 2017.

(I just want to say, for the record, that I'm not receiving anything for arranging this again.)

Order away!

On the Model X Owners FB page there is another group buy on one of those "the more people who order, the lower the price" sites, but it is for the version with the 16gb card. How much value does the extra 16gb add in terms of hours of driving/parking stored?

Also, I seem to recall an earlier thread discussing the Blackvue where people had problems when they used their own cards so which brand/type of card is provided with the units and is that really as much of an issue as I was seeing?

I'd list the site, but I don't want to take away business from the vendor that has been working with us in the past so much...

On the Model X Owners FB page there is another group buy on one of those "the more people who order, the lower the price" sites, but it is for the version with the 16gb card. How much value does the extra 16gb add in terms of hours of driving/parking stored?

Also, I seem to recall an earlier thread discussing the Blackvue where people had problems when they used their own cards so which brand/type of card is provided with the units and is that really as much of an issue as I was seeing?

I'd list the site, but I don't want to take away business from the vendor that has been working with us in the past so much...

The memory cards supplied are from Blackvue / Pitasoft, and work well. There's not that much value in the 32 vs. 16, as personally I think it makes sense to use a 64 or 128 gig card anyway. I swap in the smaller card if I'm bringing the bigger card in to look at something, but in general I keep the larger card in the dashcam.

There are some posts with details on which cards work well in the Blackvue. They are not the most expensive, fastest, higher end cards. I can try to search for one of those posts, and add it to the thread. I use one of the recommended cards in my Blackvue, and have not had issues.

One concern with the Massdrop group buy (it has already been mentioned in the Model S thread I started on this topic, so I think mentioning it is OK) is that there may be issues with the warranty coverage. Also it looks like it could be about a month before those units get delivered. But for some, that might be a better option.

Rear View Safety is definitely an authorized reseller, so there would be no warranty issues if the units are purchased from them.

Edit: Here's the link to the article on the best memory cards for the Blackvue--
64GB Micro SD cards for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH (Page 1) / The Best 64GB Micro SD for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH Dashcams / Blackvue UK Forum

Am I missing something? These seem like exactly the Blackvue DashClock DR650S 2CH that is available for $259 here.

Please see above, and also this thread in the Model S forum here:
Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy, Round 3 - $310, including 32 Gig Card

In a nutshell, those include the 16 gig card instead of the 32, there is some question about whether or not they come from an authorized reseller, and finally they may not be delivered for about a month.

Some may definitely prefer to go that route, though.