Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 900 2ch Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
I just had this installed in my early 2015 AP1 Model S 85 and have a few questions.

I have it connected to the wifi at my home in order to utilize the cloud features and it's wired to be always on so parking mode works. I have no battery pack connected.

1. Do I need to have wifi on in order for it to connect to my wifi router? I am not clear if by pressing the button the right side of the unit is an all in one wifi option so that the unit can connect to wifi routers and also allow me to connect to the unit via it's own wifi. I hope that makes sense. What I want is for the unit to connect to my wifi router while at home but not for it's own wifi to be on. I don't want my phone connecting to the blackvue wifi when I am driving which tricks my phone into thinking it's connected to an access point and then no data comes through.

2. When I woke up this morning my car was totally off. Like in deep sleep. I don't have it set to go to sleep at all and it's normally on immediately when I open the door. The driver screen took about 30secs to come on and for awhile it wouldnt even show the cars mileage. Then the center screen was also dead. I did a reboot and it took awhile but eventually came on. Was this just a weird coincidence or did I kill my 12v battery overnight?

3. The speed doesn't always get recorded on my footage. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Is this an issue with the windshield blocking GPS or is this normal for this device?

4. What is the most economical hotspot to permanently place in the car? I have Tmobile for my cellular provider.

That is it for now.

Had a 750 then upgraded to the 900 2ch connected to constant power. Has done no harm to my battery. Perhaps an update changed the “energy saver” or “always connected” settings?

Don’t quite understand your WiFi question. Should be obvious your router has to be on for the blackvue to connect to it.

The built in WiFi (when it behaves like the router) is so you can communicate directly from your phone to the camera. Useful for uploading firmware updates and entering settings. It has no connection to the internet (cloud) while connecting that way.

The built in WiFi (when it behaves like the router) is so you can communicate directly from your phone to the camera. Useful for uploading firmware updates and entering settings. It has no connection to the internet (cloud) while connecting that way.

I knew this would be hard to explain. I understand their to be 2 different wifi options. What I don't understand is if they work independently.

The simple question is.... If you press the button on the right side of the front camera and it says "wifi off" will the camera still seek out wifi to upload and connect to the cloud? I don't know which wifi I am turning off/on with this button or if that button turns all wifi off/on.

What I want it to do is always be looking for my wifi signal but not have it's own wifi (the one you would connect to in order to upload firmware, change settings, etc...) be on. I only want the wifi that you use to change settings upload firmware to be on when I am actually trying to perform one of those tasks but at the same time I want the unit to always be looking for a my wifi signal at home.

I hope this makes sense.

And FWIW, the car being dead in the morning has not occurred again. I guess it was just one of those weird Tesla deals that nobody can explain.

I knew this would be hard to explain. I understand their to be 2 different wifi options. What I don't understand is if they work independently.

The simple question is.... If you press the button on the right side of the front camera and it says "wifi off" will the camera still seek out wifi to upload and connect to the cloud? I don't know which wifi I am turning off/on with this button or if that button turns all wifi off/on.

What I want it to do is always be looking for my wifi signal but not have it's own wifi (the one you would connect to in order to upload firmware, change settings, etc...) be on. I only want the wifi that you use to change settings upload firmware to be on when I am actually trying to perform one of those tasks but at the same time I want the unit to always be looking for a my wifi signal at home.

I hope this makes sense.

And FWIW, the car being dead in the morning has not occurred again. I guess it was just one of those weird Tesla deals that nobody can explain.

I understand your question now, but don’t know. I’ll play with it tonight to see if I can make sense. Their instructions are way too cryptic (like the sensitivity settings range from 1 to 5 without saying which is more sensitive and which is less).

Reactions: Racerx22b

As far as I know, there's 2 different WiFi settings. One is for you to connect your phone directly and the other is for your BV900 cloud to connect to your Home/WiFi. The button on the right is for the phone to BV900 direct connection.

• Informative
Reactions: Racerx22b
Not going to answer the WiFi question, but Racerx22b; you may well have killed your battery. I have gone through 4 12V batteries. I had my 900s installed in July of this year. Late August I had a pop up saying that my 12V battery needed service to replace the battery soon. Took the car in to Tyco and they replaced the battery. Two weeks later the warning popped up again. Back to Tyco, and they replaced the battery thinking it might of been a bad battery. Again, the warning popped. Same process. The last time Tyco dug deeper and found that it was the 900s draining the battery. The battery was set to run 72 hours and apparently the parking mode would kick in all night. So, took the car into the installer who reduced the run time to 12 hours while in park. This is kind of a test. Hoping it fixes the issue. But, checking TeslaTap I found that the 900s does not work well with the Model 3, and they recommend buying the BlackVue battery at $300.00… Ultimate 2018 Tesla Dashcam Guide | TeslaTap this article is very good about a number of different Dashcams and impacts. It’s not just the 3s with issues there’s even issues with the BlackVue and Models S & X.

Not going to answer the WiFi question, but Racerx22b; you may well have killed your battery. I have gone through 4 12V batteries. I had my 900s installed in July of this year. Late August I had a pop up saying that my 12V battery needed service to replace the battery soon. Took the car in to Tyco and they replaced the battery. Two weeks later the warning popped up again. Back to Tyco, and they replaced the battery thinking it might of been a bad battery. Again, the warning popped. Same process. The last time Tyco dug deeper and found that it was the 900s draining the battery. The battery was set to run 72 hours and apparently the parking mode would kick in all night. So, took the car into the installer who reduced the run time to 12 hours while in park. This is kind of a test. Hoping it fixes the issue. But, checking TeslaTap I found that the 900s does not work well with the Model 3, and they recommend buying the BlackVue battery at $300.00… Ultimate 2018 Tesla Dashcam Guide | TeslaTap this article is very good about a number of different Dashcams and impacts. It’s not just the 3s with issues there’s even issues with the BlackVue and Models S & X.

My BV has been running 24/7 since posting this and we've had no battery issues whatsoever. Car does everything just like it always has.

Jason

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just did the WiFi experiment. When I pressed the button, the camera announced WiFi off, and it disappeared from the available WiFi networks AND I was no longer able to connect to the camera over cloud. Pressed the button again, and it announces WiFi on. The SSID appears as available and I can connect via cloud.

Short answer is the button seems to turn off all WiFi.

Had 900 since launch. Had 0 problems in my S. I'm hard wired. I have a Verizon wifi in car. 10$ a month. You need that so your connected all the time.
it doesn't seem to be as big of an issue with the S, even though a friend just had an issue just recently. it seems that if you have an S or X Tesla Tap recommends not using BlackVue's Pro connector, rather connect directly to battery. when mine's working i don't need a hotspot. it appeared to be the parking mode that is the issue.

I just did the WiFi experiment. When I pressed the button, the camera announced WiFi off, and it disappeared from the available WiFi networks AND I was no longer able to connect to the camera over cloud. Pressed the button again, and it announces WiFi on. The SSID appears as available and I can connect via cloud.

Short answer is the button seems to turn off all WiFi.
it's not the WiFi that's the issue. its the parking mode and how it's hooked up. once Tesla figured out it was the BlackVue and that the parking mode was running 72 hours it made sense. I'm currently in test mode at 12 hours to see if that will fix it. fingers crossed..