Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not allowed to have a Dashcam installed when driving into work. So I need a decent one that is easy to remove, preferable to be easy to remove while driving if needed.

I was looking at this one as the power plugs into the mount.

Any other suggestions?

FWIW the Blackvue is pretty easy to remove. Pull the power cable, press on the release button on the mount, pull out the Blackvue. Done.

Awww man I searched before but couldn't find any info on this. I thought the blackvue was permanently mounted!

Well I could cancel the amazon one still I think? Should I get a blackvue instead? This one does look easier to remove since the power cable plugs into the mount instead of the camera?

Blackvue considered very high quality--and the specs on the new 900 are great. I have Blackvues in both of our S (see below) which have been bulletproof, and have a DR900S-2CH on hand to install when my full spec Performance Model 3 arrives (hopefully next month).

I have the N2 Pro on my Model S. Got it last fall during one sale or another. Works great and cheap. Had to splice the wires to hook it up by the rear-view mirror but was easy to do. The 3 is a little more complicated and not sure what I'll do there yet.
Can you remove and install it with one hand?

I'm tempted to cancel my order and go for the blackvue (@ $480) though but I still think it will be somewhat difficult to remove and re-insert and plug in on a daily basis?

I like good quality stuff, but also don't want to overspend while saving for the downpayment!

the two channel blackvue 900s does not seem practical for me as I would have to remove 2 cameras while driving?

Last edited:
Can you remove and install it with one hand?

I'm tempted to cancel my order and go for the blackvue (@ $480) though but I still think it will be somewhat difficult to remove and re-insert and plug in on a daily basis?

I like good quality stuff, but also don't want to overspend while saving for the downpayment!

the two channel blackvue 900s does not seem practical for me as I would have to remove 2 cameras while driving?

I debated on this for awhile. Went with the black vue 750. Under $400. Direct tap to cigarette lighter. I might get some other battery pack for constant power.

Honestly, I don't think the BlackVue are worth it. You're not missing much. Yes, the quality may be great and it looks stylish, but actual usage is terrible.

Their mobile app could use a ton of work. There have been multiple occasions when I tried to get footage off my cameras and it felt like a lot of work. Just streaming the video takes a while to start up (even in low-bandwidth mode) and you can only view them in small 1 minute chunks. I have a 1 hour commute and trying to find a specific portion of it is a pain.

To make things worse, I have to hurry and get such footage before it gets overwritten. Viewing each clip takes a while to start up and sometimes fails. Downloading a clip can take a VERY long time. In one instance, it took me 15 minutes to download a 1 minute clip even though I was connected directly to the camera (WiFi-direct, not cloud) and was literally in the driver's seat waiting. Don't even get me started on how often it randomly disconnects my phone from it, causing me to start over.

If I knew I'd have this experience, I wouldn't have paid close to $500 for it. Maybe $300 at most or $200 for a non-4K version.

Edit: To provide more details, I tested this on an iPhone 7 Plus, Google Pixel, and Essential Phone. Same experience in all.

Last edited: