Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue and cloud connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Blackvue DR900S- 2CH and mobile broadband hot spot fitted behind a Power Magic Pro to my Model X (April 2018 production so with the MCU2 and no option to switch off energy saving) keep powering down after the hot spot's internal battery runs out and I lose Cloud connection. So at best I have about 8 hours of Cloud connection when parked and then it drops out. The fitter says it is the energy saving mode that is causing it and it needs to be turned off and the stay connected option turned on but this is no longer an option with the MCU2 display. Anyone else experienced this?

The Power Magic serves no purpose in a Tesla (because the 12v never goes away), so I would take it out and reduce the complexity a bit. But that being said, the DR900 occasionally drops the cloud connection. No idea why, but I consider it normal behavior, and it always comes back. It will always drop when the camera reboots, which happens daily at 0300 (default). I am using a hotspot plugged directly in to the OBD port, which is always on, but it may drop out periodically, no easy way to tell. OBD hotspots may not be an option in UK.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
The Power Magic serves no purpose in a Tesla (because the 12v never goes away), so I would take it out and reduce the complexity a bit. But that being said, the DR900 occasionally drops the cloud connection. No idea why, but I consider it normal behavior, and it always comes back. It will always drop when the camera reboots, which happens daily at 0300 (default). I am using a hotspot plugged directly in to the OBD port, which is always on, but it may drop out periodically, no easy way to tell. OBD hotspots may not be an option in UK.

Regarding mobile hotspot - if you want this on 24x7 or something close to that. It is best to get one that operates without a battery installed. My Franklin R850 from Freedompop is such a hotspot. This way you can connect it the ODB2 connector with a 12V to 5V converter and always have power. If you run off battery and also plug into a power source to recharge, you run the risk of your hotspot battery overheating because it is powering your hotspot and recharging. On my Franklin the battery label clearly states don't operate at 113 deg F or higher. Since a car's interior can reach those temps, battery is not a good idea imho.

I also have the DR900s connected an always on 12V installed by CalibredCustoms. No issues at all and don't notice any increase in vampire drain. The firmware and software on the DR900s leaves a lot to be desired though. I do experience temporary disconnections, but always get reconnected within a few seconds.

Last note - if you buy the R850 from Freedompop, you get 500 MB per month free. If you bring your own device they only give you 200 MB and it's a major PITA to downgrade to the free plan. By purchasing the R850 directly from Freedompop, you sign up for the free plan at purchase so no funny business. As a point of reference, if all you do is get notifications, you will average about 50 KB of data per day. Uploading/downloading recordings will add up to GB of data quickly which is why I only do that when on my home "garage" wifi. My plan is to start manual recording/uploading if I get an event alert while parked. While driving, I really don't see the benefit of uploading recordings to the cloud.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
My guess is that if your IP address on the Internet (source address of the car) ever changes, the connection drops but immediately reconnects. Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast with in car hotspots. IP changes are fairly frequent (meaning a few changes a day). But I have never not been able to connect to the DR900 when I wanted to.