Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue CLOUD and the DR900S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I think we need a Forum Category for Aftermarket Accessories..

Does anyone have the DR900 BlackVue Cloud working? I assume it's the same for the 750 and back, etc.. But the 900 is my first BlackVue purchase, and likely my last - if there's no simple answer to my question..

I created a BV cloud account and enabled the blackvue cloud on the device. I chose my router's SSID in the firmware options and left the password blank - there is no security on that router and it is internet connected. My MS connects to it in the garage all the time.

After rebooting, I use my phone with the latest BlackVue Cloud Viewer App installed and it cannot connect. I never get a list of the videos sitting on the BV. Even though I have registered the camera, it never shows as available (blue).

Is there something else the BV instructions should be telling me? Do I need some type of port forwarding? I saw some post about setting a DNS entry in my router for 8.8.8.8 - that sounds pretty ridiculous, but I tried it anyway - No joy.

The other thing I noticed is that the 900 will eventually (5 min?) revert back to its original hotspot for direct WiFi connection from a phone. It gives me the impression that it *is* connecting, but then timing out and reverting back to its built in hotspot for communicating to the phone directly via WiFi.

What gives!?

So I just installed my 900 yesterday and I got the Blackvue Cloud working with no issues. I assume you manually turned on the wifi on the camera, correct? You need to push the wifi button on the camera.

I had mine connected to my home network; however, I am questioning how valuable this really is. If you don't have a constant hot spot for the cloud to be connected to what value are you getting by using it only at your home and is it worth any potential battery usage (if at all?) to have it running only at home. I'm trying to decide this myself.

Mine also setup easily and works fine. It connects to the networks in order (you can enter 3). First is my home WiFi (AirPort Extreme). Second is a mobile hotspot I leave in the car (Verizon MiFi) that charges from one of the center console USB plugs.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
How far away is your router from where the car parks? I was having the exact same issue you're describing trying to get the cloud portion working. The camera would connect for a few minutes/seconds, but would then disconnect. After a bunch of trial, error, and frustration I figured out that the BlackVue camera does not like low-strength wifi signals. It seems very quick to disconnect from networks it thinks are weak.

I bought a WiFi repeater and put it inside the house on the garage wall and have had no issues since, with solid connections for hours at a time.

Hmmm.. Well I am broadcasting the SSID and the MS is about 4 feet from the repeater, which is plugged into the wall at counter top level.
I did think of one thing that maybe no one else is doing and I am: I'm running no security on the WiFi. It's an open connection. Adding a pwd on that connection would be a PITA because of all the other devices that would suddenly stop working. But I would do it if it solves the issue. Before I go that far, is anyone else connecting to an open WiFi with their BV? I suppose you may be sensitive about declaring that here :) Maybe you could PM me instead?

Thanks!

I'm still paying with my Blackvue. I can access and play the files by connecting with the camera's wifi and through my android phone fine. On my Mac, using the Blackvue Viewer App, I can see the files and play them but the video is completely blacked out/not showing. It doesn't matter if use the Blackvue cloud or pull the SD card and connect that to my Mac directly...the Mac Viewer App will not show the video. Anyone have any suggestions???

Edit: I have tried reformatting the SD card. Also, I can load a file from the Mac Viewer App into the cloud and access that file from my phone app but again I am unable to play it on through the Mac Viewer App.

Last edited:
Dude!!!! Secure your WiFi!!!

My father in law left his open, right until I showed him all his neighbors were freeloading off the connection, including one with likely illegal interest in “art”...

Dude, that WiFi is a disposable one. There is a DMZ and a firewall before that SSID could pass through a port forwarded tunnel to the main WiFi.
I live in the middle of 275 Acres. I have no neighbors!

Well, after about 24hrs and no one indicating that they are connected with an open WiFi, I decided to enable WPA on my 'public' network.
The nice lady inside my 900 said something she never said before... "Blackvue Cloud Connected"
A bunch of quick tests on my laptop and iPhone apps all worked just fine.
I disabled security. The camera couldn't/wouldn't connect.
Re-enabled Security. "Blackvue Cloud Connected".

Issue Resolved.
Your BV900 needs WiFi security enabled in order to connect to the cloud service!

Reactions: Akikiki
I'm still playing with my Blackvue. I can access and play the files by connecting with the camera's wifi and through my android phone fine.

On my Mac, using the Blackvue Viewer App, I can see the files and play them but the video is completely blacked out/not showing. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same issues on my mac, so does anyone have a bright idea?

Last edited: