Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nerdy_Engineer

Brett - The Nerdy Engineer
Sep 22, 2016
Colorado
I had trouble finding full step by step instructions for the installation of the Blackvue Dash Cam so I made a video while installing mine. I thought it might help others out. Overall, the installation is pretty easy. I wired into the 12 volt plug under the carpet, but in hindsight, I think using an OBD2 Memory Saver would have been easier and still provided a very clean install. I found a cheap solution to hiding the wiring on the windshield for those of us not brave enough to remove the autopilot channel. I spray painted a cord cover that people use to hide power cords in their house! Let me know what you guys think.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkVtR_-DWYs

I also have other videos about the Model X, my solar panels, etc in the works so subscribe to my channel to see all of my upcoming videos. If there's anything in particular that you'd like me to cover in a future video, let me know and I'll try to cover it.

Great video, best and most complete one out there. I was hoping to make a similar video, but haven't gotten around to editing the video yet. I think your video will be better than anything I put out. I also love your custom-conduit from the rear view mirror to the headliner.

BTW, there is a way to complete the install without removing the trunk plastic trim piece. The one that is extremely difficult to remove and where most people end up breaking off the clips. I took a plastic twist tie (a very large one) and fished it through from the trunk hole (top end of the rubber accordion conduit) behind the plastic trim to the final location of the rear dash cam. It was really easy and effortless. The only challenge is finding a open channel slot, which may take 5-6 attempts.

If you use this approach, you'll have to store excess cable somewhere else. I chose to store in the headliner gap (gap at the lower end of the rubber accordion conduit).

Last edited:
@vandacca Thanks for the kind feedback. And excellent tip about not removing the back trim piece! I wish I had know about that. I cut it out of the video, but the clips on my trim piece had superglue on the already. I guess when Tesla fixed my active spoiler, they broke the clips trying to remove that trim piece. Once I realized that they had been broken once before, I didn't feel so bad. But your suggestion is definitely the way to go.

You can also file down the bulky plastic part of the rear view camera connector, fit a piece of heat shrink tube over it, and fish it through the back panel. I installed mine that way without having to take the hatch trim off. I also installed the camera directly to the trim since I was going to get the windows tinted a little more this week.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
You are a lifesaver. My X is getting wrapped right now, but before we dropped it off I was looking at how to run the cables and I was ready to pull my hair out before I even started. These visual instructions should make it a whole lot easier. Still worried about the rear hatch but we'll see how it goes soon.

• Informative
What does an OBD2 Memory Saver do?
The OBD2 Memory Saver is a simple OBD2 adapter with 2 wires connected to 12V male cigarette connector. You cut off the 12V connector and splice on a 12V female cigarette connector so that the Blackvue can plug into it. That way you can easily disconnect the Blackvue from the OBD2 connector at any time and use somewhere else.

--Update--
@goneskiian beat me to it. Now we're even. ;)

• Informative
Yes, @vandacca is correct. You can use the OBD2 Memory Saver as a power source. Cut the end off of it, and either splice on a cigarette adapter or cut the end off of the blackvue cigarette plug and splice them together.

The blackvue comes with a cigarette lighter plug, but there isn't a convenient spot to plug it in that wouldn't look bad. So most people either cut the end off and wire it up directly to the OBD2 port or to the 12volt wires under the carpet. I wired it up to the 12volt wires under the carpet, but if I had to do it over again, I'd just get an OBD2 Memory Saver and wire it up to that instead.

What does an OBD2 Memory Saver do?
IMG_4035-e1420973985117.jpg
c
IMG_4037.jpg

Courtesy Google