Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect video - was just about to look at doing this. One question - one of the installers I spoke to mentioned that they run the front-to-back cable in an existing channel that exists in the middle top of the car ceiling from front to back (i.e. in between the top of the FWDs). Did you ever look at that, or does anyone else have any experience in trying to fish a wire through there?

Oh, and had anyone else purchased an OEM channel from Tesla? I was told by someone else that they won't sell them ....

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Perfect video - was just about to look at doing this. One question - one of the installers I spoke to mentioned that they run the front-to-back cable in an existing channel that exists in the middle top of the car ceiling from front to back (i.e. in between the top of the FWDs). Did you ever look at that, or does anyone else have any experience in trying to fish a wire through there?

Oh, and had anyone else purchased an OEM channel from Tesla? I was told by someone else that they won't sell them ....

My installer did that, it was extremely tedious to run the wire through the existing channel. And yes someone else bought another channel and did the install, some SC will sell it others won't.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
[This is assuming that you are asking about buying the OEM front wiring channel that goes to the mirror and AP camera]

I think if you find the right SC person, they will sell it to you. I say this because I asked if I could get a second dash grille to play around with to see if I could reduce the reflections from it, and that was no big deal and the price was quite reasonable for such a large plastic + metal + fabric assembly - around $170 IIRC. I would think the wiring channel might just be $20 or so. If I had known would have definitely bought another wiring channel so that I wouldn't have spent an hour removing adhesive from my original one, or I might have just run a second one parallel to the first and left the OEM wiring alone.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel

I'm assuming that your first question was with regards to running a single rear-camera cable from the start of the headliner to the rear. If that's what you're asking, I briefly considered this option and even used a schematic I found of the headliner. I quickly determined it would be much easier to work around the trim inside the opening of the fwd. Blackvue gives you plenty of cable to go this route.

I'm still trying to purchase an OEM channel from Tesla, and will see what the status is next week when I drop off my vehicle. If that doesn't work, I may use a cable channel (spray-painted charcoal) as described by OP. If I feel adventurous, I may remove the OEM channel and stuff it in there. At the moment, I have the two wires taped to the OEM channel (not too pretty).

I'm assuming that your first question was with regards to running a single rear-camera cable from the start of the headliner to the rear. If that's what you're asking, I briefly considered this option and even used a schematic I found of the headliner. I quickly determined it would be much easier to work around the trim inside the opening of the fwd. Blackvue gives you plenty of cable to go this route.

I'm still trying to purchase an OEM channel from Tesla, and will see what the status is next week when I drop off my vehicle. If that doesn't work, I may use a cable channel (spray-painted charcoal) as described by OP. If I feel adventurous, I may remove the OEM channel and stuff it in there. At the moment, I have the two wires taped to the OEM channel (not too pretty).
Sometime back there was a post from a vendor @First Impression that makes the channel and ships them for $175. From the pictures it seemed like an exact replica of the OEM channel.

@plasmo Unfortunately, I didn't take video of the power wiring since it would have been pretty difficult to film. Also, after I did it, I came to the conclusion that I would have preferred wiring it up to an OBD2 Memory Saver. It would be a lot easier to splice to an OBD2 Memory Saver since you wouldn't be working with a short segment of wire by the kick plate. You could either splice a cigarette adapter onto the OBD2 Memory Saver, or you could splice the Blackvue power cable directly to the OBD2 Memory Saver. Either option could be done away from the vehicle which would make for much easier working conditions. And the OBD2 Memory Saver just plugs right into the OBD2 port under the dash.

@plasmo Unfortunately, I didn't take video of the power wiring since it would have been pretty difficult to film. Also, after I did it, I came to the conclusion that I would have preferred wiring it up to an OBD2 Memory Saver. It would be a lot easier to splice to an OBD2 Memory Saver since you wouldn't be working with a short segment of wire by the kick plate. You could either splice a cigarette adapter onto the OBD2 Memory Saver, or you could splice the Blackvue power cable directly to the OBD2 Memory Saver. Either option could be done away from the vehicle which would make for much easier working conditions. And the OBD2 Memory Saver just plugs right into the OBD2 port under the dash.

thanks. Even though there is more bulk and expense, I am thinking of possibily using Blackvue's Power magic battery pack (B-112). I wonder if anyone here has used the B-112 in the Tesla X.

thanks. Even though there is more bulk and expense, I am thinking of possibily using Blackvue's Power magic battery pack (B-112). I wonder if anyone here has used the B-112 in the Tesla X.
I was considering it, until I realized that the drain on the Model-X battery was going to be insignificant compared to the existing vampire drain. I concluded that having this extra pack wasn't going to really make a difference. It would be the equivalent of adding a couple of more cells into Tesla's pack that already contains ~7,500 cells. That's a .03% increase.

No need for the PowerMagic--only for ICE cars where the 12v will get discharged and then the car won't start. When the Tesla 12v gets low it is topped up by the DC-to-DC system from the main traction pack.

No, this is a battery pack for those who are leasing their Tesla and don't want to mess with the electric system. This connects to the cigarette lighter and charges while the car is on and runs of its built in battery while the car is off. This is different from the power magic pro you are referring to