Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have installed my blackvue to my ap2.0. I didn't attempt to tap the power from the rear view mirror housing or open the headliner. Mainly, because I don't want to mess with the ap2.0 wiring and I want to avoid Tesla blaming me for any issues. Instead, I ran the wire to my passenger door wiring which I am more confident.

IMG_4035-e1420973985117.jpg
c
Courtesy Google

I find this following item in ebay and not sure it is similar to your DIY plug, I am not good in DIY.

OBD Power adapter to USB female + USB to Cigarette Lighter adapter for Dash Cam | eBay

Attachments

• 2017-02-20_19-40-15.jpg
    2017-02-20_19-40-15.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 66
I have installed my blackvue to my ap2.0. I didn't attempt to tap the power from the rear view mirror housing or open the headliner. Mainly, because I don't want to mess with the ap2.0 wiring and I want to avoid Tesla blaming me for any issues. Instead, I ran the wire to my passenger door wiring which I am more confident.
Any pictures of your final install?

IMG_20170220_165308.jpg
Any pictures of your final install?
Here, I placed the rear camera up from because I don't want to open all the panels to run the wire to the trunk. Another reason is I could capture the cabin with this location.

Also, I didn't want to mess with the AP2.0 hardware, so I run the wire externally on the windshield. I tried to hide the wire as much as possible.

Last edited:
View attachment 215694
Here, I placed the rear camera up from because I don't want to open all the panels to run the wire to the trunk. Another reason is I could capture the cabin with this location.

Also, I didn't want to mess with the AP2.0 hardware, so I run the wire externally on the windshield. I tried to hide the wire as much as possible.

I am too considering installing the rear view camera up front, but slightly for different reason - I have no problem running the wires - my main concern is lack of side coverage. I was hoping that by placing the rear view cam up front the sides of the car would also get some coverage.

Can you please post a few screen shots of your rear facing camera? How about a video? That would be greatly appreciated.

I am too considering installing the rear view camera up front, but slightly for different reason - I have no problem running the wires - my main concern is lack of side coverage. I was hoping that by placing the rear view cam up front the sides of the car would also get some coverage.

Can you please post a few screen shots of your rear facing camera? How about a video? That would be greatly appreciated.
FYI: There was someone who took 2 sets of Blackview 2CH and implemented one set in a standard configuration (front/back facing) and the 2nd set on the door's window trim separator, pointing out the sides (left/right facing) in a vertical position.

Someone also did same thing on a Model-S.

FYI: There was someone who took 2 sets of Blackview 2CH and implemented one set in a standard configuration (front/back facing) and the 2nd set on the door's window trim separator, pointing out the sides (left/right facing) in a vertical position.

Someone also did same thing on a Model-S.

Yeah, I saw this one. I think the locations for side cameras were chosen for a wrong reason (discreteness) instead of utility and coverage. Installing cameras at the top of FWD windows would be more noticeable but provide better coverage - that's where I'm planning to install it.

Reactions: vandacca
Has anyone installed the blackvue on a HW2 x, with the wire going through the channel/conduit? Does the conduit unclip, or is it still glued?

Is the channel bigger, smaller, or the same as the HW1 X?

The channel was pretty tight on the HW1 X that I used to have, so if the new one is the same, I may forego the dashcam...

Has anyone installed the blackvue on a HW2 x, with the wire going through the channel/conduit? Does the conduit unclip, or is it still glued?

The channel was pretty tight on the HW1 X that I used to have, so if the new one is the same, I may forego the dashcam...

I seem to recall reading about someone doing it. The channel is larger because there are more Autopilot camera lines, but I can't remember if it was supposed to be harder or easier to get the Blackvue cables through there. I'm pretty sure I read about it on this forum or the Model X Facebook group.

View attachment 215694

Are you able to post any screenshots of what your rear camera view looks like? Is the view of both the cabin and exterior good or are there issues because of the brightness difference between inside and outside or due to obstruction from the seats? I don't have my BlackVue yet but am considering placing the rear camera in a similar position.

I just did this. The inner channel is clipped in. Just pull it out. The back is taped. Pull of the tape. Now you will have the best 40 minutes to an hour of your life trying to fit the BV wires into that bitch. And your fingers will hurt afterward from trying to pry the sides so you can hold it open. The basic trick is to push the stock wires to one side and the BV wires to the other. If you don't get the channel back flat again, you will NOT get the black cover back on. I took some video of this while I was doing parts of this install. But I didn't video me swearing at that effing channel. I might post some of that on YouTube in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a setup where you are just installing the front and tapping into the mirror housing for power?
Topfit dashcam did that exactly with custom housing and all - looks neat but quality is crap. You can tap to mirror power but that power is switched (only on when the car is powered), so you will lose parking functionality.