Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Topfit dashcam did that exactly with custom housing and all - looks neat but quality is crap. You can tap to mirror power but that power is switched (only on when the car is powered), so you will lose parking functionality.
I think someone mentioned there's constant power in the mirror as well. That's why I am asking to see if anyone has such setup. I want to get a dash cam but only for the front.

View attachment 215694
Here, I placed the rear camera up from because I don't want to open all the panels to run the wire to the trunk. Another reason is I could capture the cabin with this location.

Also, I didn't want to mess with the AP2.0 hardware, so I run the wire externally on the windshield. I tried to hide the wire as much as possible.

Hi dark, did you use 3m double sided tape to install? How is it holding up so far?
I am about to install to camera without opening the channel.. Just wondering if your installation method would be durable.

I created a new video to help everyone that was asking about how to wire up the power for the blackvue dash cam. I spliced an OBD2 memory saver to a cigarette outlet. It's a very easy way to power your dashcam without having to splice into any of the wires in the Tesla.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjMoi3vsgL4
Brett - you mention in your videos that you changed from tapping the 12V to installing in the OBD port - can I ask why? Too complicated or other complications?

Thanks.

Brett - you mention in your videos that you changed from tapping the 12V to installing in the OBD port - can I ask why? Too complicated or other complications?

Thanks.
At first, I spliced directly into the wire under the carpet. However, I ended up undoing that and plugging my dashcam into the OBD2 port directly for two reasons.
First, people that know more about this stuff than I do told me that I shouldn't use those cheap snap together wire splices. I wasn't a big fan of them either because it was very hard to get them to clamp down all the way and stay closed. After a couple of weeks, I looked at the splice, and it was starting to open up.
Second, I preferred the idea of plugging into the OBD2 port instead of encouraging people to splice into wires in the car. I think it's fine for a professional installer to splice into wires because they (in theory) know what they're doing and what wires they should splice into and which ones they should leave alone.

At first, I spliced directly into the wire under the carpet. However, I ended up undoing that and plugging my dashcam into the OBD2 port directly for two reasons.
First, people that know more about this stuff than I do told me that I shouldn't use those cheap snap together wire splices. I wasn't a big fan of them either because it was very hard to get them to clamp down all the way and stay closed. After a couple of weeks, I looked at the splice, and it was starting to open up.
Second, I preferred the idea of plugging into the OBD2 port instead of encouraging people to splice into wires in the car. I think it's fine for a professional installer to splice into wires because they (in theory) know what they're doing and what wires they should splice into and which ones they should leave alone.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have the link to the item you bought to plug into the OBD port?

I appreciate your posts.

I used these two items. The OBD2 memory saver is what plugs into the OBD2 port. Then I used a cigarette outlet plug so that I could plug the cigarette power adapter directly in. Some people cut the Blackvue cigarette power adapter cable to splice directly to the OBD2 memory saver. That's not a good idea because there's actually a fuse in the cigarette power adapter plug.

Cigarette Lighter Plug - http://amzn.to/2idU87v
OBD2 Memory Saver - http://amzn.to/2hq3iwy

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm glad to help!

• Helpful
Reactions: GOPJEW
I used these two items. The OBD2 memory saver is what plugs into the OBD2 port. Then I used a cigarette outlet plug so that I could plug the cigarette power adapter directly in. Some people cut the Blackvue cigarette power adapter cable to splice directly to the OBD2 memory saver. That's not a good idea because there's actually a fuse in the cigarette power adapter plug.

Cigarette Lighter Plug - http://amzn.to/2idU87v
OBD2 Memory Saver - http://amzn.to/2hq3iwy

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm glad to help!
Thanks - where did you ultimately power your WIFI hotspot from - same place? Trunk?

Thanks - where did you ultimately power your WIFI hotspot from - same place? Trunk?
I never ended up installing a wifi hotspot. A lot of people use FreedomPop as a free/cheap wifi hotspot option for their dashcam, but I never ended up getting one. I'm not sure if the OBD2 port provides enough power to run the dashcam and the wifi hotspot, or if you need to tap into something more powerful. MacTechGenius uses a FreedomPop wifi hotspot in his car, but I think he had his professionally installed.

• Informative
Reactions: GOPJEW
I never ended up installing a wifi hotspot. A lot of people use FreedomPop as a free/cheap wifi hotspot option for their dashcam, but I never ended up getting one. I'm not sure if the OBD2 port provides enough power to run the dashcam and the wifi hotspot, or if you need to tap into something more powerful. MacTechGenius uses a FreedomPop wifi hotspot in his car, but I think he had his professionally installed.

OBD should be powerful enough for both...but as Brett mentioned. I had it professionally installed on my X and 3.

Do you guys leave this thing in Park Mode all the time? I just got in on the MassDrop sale from the other day. Wondering if the Magic power pro thing is worth adding on to prevent battery waste?

What if you forget to turn it off and for whatever reason the car isnt moved for a week or two? What kind of impact does that have on the battery? I'm guessing pretty negliable but since people seem to have range anxiety, just wondering if this would contribute to a huge drain or just minimal?

Do you guys leave this thing in Park Mode all the time? I just got in on the MassDrop sale from the other day. Wondering if the Magic power pro thing is worth adding on to prevent battery waste?

What if you forget to turn it off and for whatever reason the car isnt moved for a week or two? What kind of impact does that have on the battery? I'm guessing pretty negliable but since people seem to have range anxiety, just wondering if this would contribute to a huge drain or just minimal?
MagicPro is a waste of $$$ on a Tesla since our main battery pack charges our 12V for us...

I plan on plugging my Blackvue into cigarette lighter adapter into OBD - that way if I am away and vehicle is at my home I can just easily unplug it - if it is at airport I want it on in case someone hits my car.

MagicPro is a waste of $$$ on a Tesla since our main battery pack charges our 12V for us...

I plan on plugging my Blackvue into cigarette lighter adapter into OBD - that way if I am away and vehicle is at my home I can just easily unplug it - if it is at airport I want it on in case someone hits my car.

Thanks, i'm editing my order to drop that. So the 12V will always be charged by the battery pack, even if the vehicle isn't moving? And that'll happen even if the main battery pack isn't plugged in/charging?

Thanks, i'm editing my order to drop that. So the 12V will always be charged by the battery pack, even if the vehicle isn't moving? And that'll happen even if the main battery pack isn't plugged in/charging?
Yes, the main battery pack will recharge the 12v even when the car isn't plugged in or driving. Don't worry about draining the main battery pack. The dashcam will only going to use a very tiny amount of power. The car could probably power the dashcam for a couple of years.

Yes, the main battery pack will recharge the 12v even when the car isn't plugged in or driving. Don't worry about draining the main battery pack. The dashcam will only going to use a very tiny amount of power. The car could probably power the dashcam for a couple of years.
Thanks Brett - Love you videos/chan. I wasn't going to brave this myself but after seeing your video, I just might. Though the trouble you had around the hatch wiring makes me a bit nervous.

• Love
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
The BlackVue Dash Cam draws around 300-350 mA, so its drain is not a huge concern. The Thinkware F800 Pro is supposed to be extremely energy efficient as well, with a timelapse parking mode to save energy and SD card space. We dont have the specific draw information on it, but it should not be a concern in Teslas.

We are running a TMC Promo on the Thinkware F800 Pros - Thread here - Vendor - Group Buy - Thinkware F800 Pro Dual Channel Dash Cam - DashCam Bros

Thanks Brett - Love you videos/chan. I wasn't going to brave this myself but after seeing your video, I just might. Though the trouble you had around the hatch wiring makes me a bit nervous.
Thank you, I appreciate it! Don't stress about the issue with the rear hatch. In the video description I put some advice I was given by someone else after I uploaded the video. You can use a zip-tie to fish the cable out from under the trim instead of prying the trim off and breaking some of the clips.

Reactions: AxeBro