Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue Dashcam 12v Constant power?

mavendark

May 11, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Been trying to get my BlackVue DR590X-2CH installed using the dome light 12v constant power. I have a Model 3 delivered around March of 2020. Not super tech savvy with wiring, and I followed the following "tutorials": this and this among others on this forum.

Issue is when I opened up the dome lights, there seems to be a LOT more wires than pictured in the first post that I linked above from a couple of years ago. I connected the posi-tap to the black wire and the yellow wire. On top of that I cut the cigarette adapter cable of the BlackVue camera to connect it to the posi-tap and saw that instead of two wires in there (a red / black wire) there are now three wires (red/black/yellow). Regardless, I tried I attaching the red wire from blackvue to the yellow wire in the dome light and black to black wire but there's no power. Before I start messing with connecting other wires and risk messing things up, I want to ask you guys here.

Has anyone done this recently and could give me some guidance? Thank you!

Reactions: positiv and play150

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
You could take a look at a couple of the threads it references below in the "similar threads" section to see if they have any information that can help you. Not sure if new members see those, so a couple that look promising are:

mavendark

May 11, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I've already scoured all of these threads, those two included and they provide no additional information because the wiring for both the dome light and the Blackvue is different now than what was originally posted back then.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC