Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue Dashcam 12v Constant power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Been trying to get my BlackVue DR590X-2CH installed using the dome light 12v constant power. I have a Model 3 delivered around March of 2020. Not super tech savvy with wiring, and I followed the following "tutorials": this and this among others on this forum.

Issue is when I opened up the dome lights, there seems to be a LOT more wires than pictured in the first post that I linked above from a couple of years ago. I connected the posi-tap to the black wire and the yellow wire. On top of that I cut the cigarette adapter cable of the BlackVue camera to connect it to the posi-tap and saw that instead of two wires in there (a red / black wire) there are now three wires (red/black/yellow). Regardless, I tried I attaching the red wire from blackvue to the yellow wire in the dome light and black to black wire but there's no power. Before I start messing with connecting other wires and risk messing things up, I want to ask you guys here.

Has anyone done this recently and could give me some guidance? Thank you!

Reactions: positiv and play150
You could take a look at a couple of the threads it references below in the "similar threads" section to see if they have any information that can help you. Not sure if new members see those, so a couple that look promising are:

Getting ready to swap my trusty DR650S with a new DR900X Plus. I thought it would be a simple swap out, but now I'm reading (like OP) that the power cable is different. Anyone sort out how to install this new 3 wire power cable (Power, Ground, Accessory?) in a Tesla (X in my case). Apparently all the blackvue X model cameras are this new 3 wire power.

Most easy is to buy OBD plug adapter for blackvue.
That's what I'm currently powering my dr650s with. It will work fine with the 900X Plus? I saw it had 3 wire power (Vs 2 for the 650) and got worried. If I can just swap it in using the existing cable that would make life so much easier. Installing that whole shebang into the X was a pain.