Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue Dashcam Install on 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was successfully able to install the Blackvue camera in my 2016 MS. Looks like the rearview mirror has changed significantly since previous install instructions. Does anyone know how to route the cables on the newer model's casing which I assume contains the new AP camera?

Right now I just have it sticking out from the microphone grill but it looks a bit ugly.

Thanks!

There wasn't an obvious way to run it through the rearview mirror that I found. Instead, I just pulled the connectors out the front of the headliner where the camera is installed. Mine is installed pretty high, so barely any wire is actually sticking out. If yours is a little lower, you might consider zip tying them together so it looks a little more "pro," but they should be almost imperceptible against that black shielded area just to the side of the rearview anyway.

I'm planning on having the dual professionally installed, but I'm worried the car will be damaged. Has anyone had it done?

I did it all myself, but I can tell you that it will be difficult to damage the car if they only use the microphone grill connector for power. At worst, you might break a trim clip. I broke one on the side trim of the rear liftgate, but with the other ones in place, you can't even tell.

I think these are replacements: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0040CT...TF8&colid=1LG8JYXR41VKE&coliid=I3T4ZGD2EYGP31

I also am having difficulty figuring out how to open the interior rearview enclosure on the new 2016 MS. It seems that there is one metal clip (similar to the two that are in the microphone housing) on the driver side of the rearview mount. Beyond that I cant tell if there are plastic clips or screws keeping the housing attached. Regardless, the housing is VERY securely attached and I fear that someone will have to break on open first before we are able to gain any insight into the problem.

Yes, I had the DR650GW 2 channel supplied and installed by RPM Electronics in Burnaby. They did a great job. Highly recommended. Here is a photo
And a few compiled videos of my trip to Banff, taken of course by the dashcam, edited by yours truly.
June 3 - Road to Lake Louise
July 1 - Icefields Parkway
July 2 - Road to Moraine Lake
July 3 - Heading Home
Thanks Soolim! Can I ask how long it took them and how much it cost? Care to send the name of the person you talked to?

I had no problems with the removal of the mirror cover and then the mirror itself for my install, care to post a picture of what the hold up is for your install?

FYI I searched the forum when I did mine and there are quite a few threads with pictures on how to achieve a clean install.

I managed to complete the install myself. The rearview mirror and the new 2016 AP enclosure are secured with 4 gold metal snaps connected by plastic inserts. See picture below. I was lucky enough to go slow and didn't scratch or break anything. I removed the rear seat panels exposing the rear curtain airbag. Be careful when working on this area. Also of note, the rearview mirror can be removed several ways. If you twist counter clockwise the whole thing will come off, or you can pull off the mirror itself which is secured by a ball joint. I removed the mirror first and had some very frustrating moments before i realized the ball joint has a metal O-ring that prevents the ball from falling off. This O-ring can be removed with pliers and then re-seated once you push the ball joint together.

Attachments

• IMG_20161008_114029.jpg
    IMG_20161008_114029.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20161008_105350.jpg
    IMG_20161008_105350.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20161008_110834.jpg
    IMG_20161008_110834.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20161008_111949.jpg
    IMG_20161008_111949.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20161008_112004.jpg
    IMG_20161008_112004.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20161008_152444.jpg
    IMG_20161008_152444.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20161008_110824.jpg
    IMG_20161008_110824.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20161008_113245.jpg
    IMG_20161008_113245.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20161008_152451.jpg
    IMG_20161008_152451.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20161008_152457.jpg
    IMG_20161008_152457.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Chaz
On previous cars I had the 2 channel BlackVue but opted not do do that for my MS. I just don't think the rear video will be useful much and with tinted windows, the visibility isn't great unless it's nice and bright out.

If you Do want 2 channel though, I recommend you do it yourself as even a nice shop can break tabs. I rather do it myself and blame myself for a broken tab (Although I've learned how to do it without breaking them on cars by now) than some shop do it, who won't tell you they broke a tab and put it back together.

I just installed mine this afternoon, primarily using the guide here: Dash Cam

The only thing I did differently was that I clipped the blackvue power cable and wired it directly to the housing I bought on Amazon that matches the auxillary housing in the mic panel.

The only question I have is how much this drains my battery? Is it going to drain my 12v battery (perhaps a problem) or the car battery (not a problem)

I just installed mine this afternoon, primarily using the guide here: Dash Cam

The only thing I did differently was that I clipped the blackvue power cable and wired it directly to the housing I bought on Amazon that matches the auxillary housing in the mic panel.

The only question I have is how much this drains my battery? Is it going to drain my 12v battery (perhaps a problem) or the car battery (not a problem)

No issues draining the 12v battery (unlike in an ICE). If the 12v gets low it is recharged from the traction pack via the dc-to-dc converter. FWIW both of our Ses have Blackvues...all good.

Once again, Massdrop is offering the Blackvue DR650S-2CH for the excellent price of $285 (regular $500). I bought two of them the last time they offered them and had Aaron at Prodashcam (in the Los Angeles area) install one in my Model S and one in my wife's new Volt. He came out to our house and did an excellent job with all the wiring completely hidden and both cams are working perfectly. BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera - Massdrop. Note that even though the link says dr650gw, the model they are selling is the new DR650S.

Once again, Massdrop is offering the Blackvue DR650S-2CH for the excellent price of $285 (regular $500). I bought two of them the last time they offered them and had Aaron at Prodashcam (in the Los Angeles area) install one in my Model S and one in my wife's new Volt. He came out to our house and did an excellent job with all the wiring completely hidden and both cams are working perfectly. BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera - Massdrop. Note that even though the link says dr650gw, the model they are selling is the new DR650S.

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to purchase my unit from Amazon for $379 plus tax. Can you let me know what the install cost was from Prodashcam? I contacted another installer and his quote was $450 to install the cameras. Thanks.