TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blackvue Dashcam Installer in SoCal on AP2.0 Model

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MIT_S60, Dec 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Has anyone had the Blackvue Dashcam professionally installed on an AP2.0 vehicle in SoCal? I'm trying to find a place that can hardwire the camera, but I prefer that they've done an AP2.0 vehicle first.

2. jevan43

jevan43 Member

Al & E'ds in West Hollywood for sure.

• Like x 1
  3. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Is West Hollywood the best one? I called one of the other Al & Ed's locations bet the person on the phone didn't inspire confidence.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I believe that they are franchises and the guys in West Hollywood have been working on Teslas since Roadster days...

• Like x 1
  5. lese

lese Member

We had ProDashCam install Blackvue cams in my Tesla and wife's new Volt and they did a beautiful job. They have installed them in many Teslas but had never done a Volt before, but that was not a problem at all. Give them a call and see if they've done installs in any AP2.0 Teslas yet. Installation

• Like x 1
  6. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Do they run directly to the fuse box or do they just go to the 12 dc jack outlet?

7. energy7

energy7 Member

I installed my Blackvue myself. Took about 30 minutes with little effort. There is a 12 volt supply behind the mic location about the rearview mirror. The cover pops off pretty easily.

8. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

What about the sync cable running to the back? Did you splice the cable? I hear it is frowned upon at the Service center.
    Finally does it work with the parking feature of the blackvue?

9. lese

lese Member

They run it directly to the fuse box or the mic connector depending on the Tesla model. They do not use the 12 v dc jack.

• Like x 1
  10. Bruin1996

Bruin1996 Member

I second (or third?) Al and Ed's in West Hollywood. They did a good job installing a Blackvue in my Tesla for a reasonable price. I am not good with electrical systems so did not try to self-install.

11. jevan43

jevan43 Member

Yeah, which one did you call? I had the WeHo one do the install on my BlackVue Andrew he one in HB do a custom sun enclosure and I was extremely pleased with both experiences.

• Like x 1
  12. energy7

energy7 Member

I haven't gotten around to installing the back camera yet, just the front. The parking feature seems to work as the camera says something about parking mode on/off when I get back in the car.

13. SDRick

SDRick Member

How much approximately can one expect to pay to have both cameras installed?

14. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

#14 MIT_S60, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Thanks! EDIT: I just called them to get my answer. Thanks anyways!

15. jchag

jchag Member

Johnny at Calibred customs did min (AP 1) He will come to you and install. He as installed dozens of Dashcams in Tesla's

16. Kurt'sX

Kurt'sX Member

I used Johnny at Calibred Customs in Santa Monica also. He can be reached at 1(310) 654-0532. He has done many Teslas and is quick, clean and reliable. He has a shop out in the valley area, but lives and works on the west side of LA. He came to me at a local Super Charger and installed in the parking lot while I shopped at the mall.

Incidentally, I requested that he hard wire my BlackVue dual camera system, so I would have an active parking mode. He connected it in the area to the left of the brake pedal, so it always on. He is also great at hiding any evidence that the system is installed...Nothing visible except the camera just below the rear view mirror and the small camera in the rear window. He also does a 4 camera system and attaches two side cameras to the brace between the front door windows and the fixed glass near the door mirrors.

17. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I used Al & Eds in Marina Del Rey for my S and they too wired for active parking mode. I've got them teed up to install my X as soon as it arrives, and reccomend them highly. I had a front camera malfunction which they replaced without hesitation and dealt with BV directly. @SDRick I paid about $200 for installation of front & back cameras. Not something I would do on my own and felt it was reasonable after watching some of the DIY videos.

18. *^_^*

*^_^* Member

I decided to go with Johnny at Calibred Customs and he just finished doing an excellent install on our X (AP2). Really professional, answers your questions thoroughly. We installed two sets of BlackVue cams. Really happy.

19. *^_^*

*^_^* Member

What did you go with?

20. jboy08

jboy08 Member

Prodashcam installed mine. 2016+ apparently can't tap into the mic connector? Anyways we ended up hard wiring to the fuse box around the glove box. In one of his more recent installs I think he has a pic showing the location...

2017 Tesla Model S 60