Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DR600&DR3500 instead of DR650 2CH - Thought/input?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I've read a lot about dashcams - especially all the DR650 2CH Tesla installs. However I'm considering installing a DR600 (front) and a DR3500 (rear) instead. Here's why:

1) I get full HD front and rear
2) The 3500 comes with the option of an external GPS antenna = can be placed to achieve good GPS signal
3) I get a good bitrate front AND rear instead of 8 kpbs front and 3 kbps rear in the DR650
4) I only need to supply 12v for the rear cam = no coax and no need to drill, remove the plug or pulling the wire around the entire hatch
5) Read quite a few posts saying people are not happy with the image quality of the DR650

So what do you guys think? Good/bad idea? Any inputs, pro's and con's are appriciated.

Thanks,
Jacob

1. 650 is full HD front & rear (1080/720)
2. Additional cost for external GPS. Do you really want to stick a receiver on the outside of your MS?
3. Bitrate is fine on 650 for fluid motion
4. That requires two taps into power, for front and rear cams. How do you get the wire from the GPS to rear cam?
5. Many people are happy with IQ of 650. Depends on your intended use I suppose

A nice feature of a 2ch system is that the video syncs up front and rear cams when viewing. Finally, the 600 + 3500 cost more than the 650, before even purchasing external GPS.

The loss of the GPS function hasn't been a concern for me. I have the speed display disabled (I figured it was more likely to be used against me than for me.) I was able to run the wire between the cameras without drilling. A 3-4" segment of cable is exposed near the hatch, but I can't see it from the front.

1. 650 is full HD front & rear (1080/720)
2. Additional cost for external GPS. Do you really want to stick a receiver on the outside of your MS?
3. Bitrate is fine on 650 for fluid motion
4. That requires two taps into power, for front and rear cams. How do you get the wire from the GPS to rear cam?
5. Many people are happy with IQ of 650. Depends on your intended use I suppose

A nice feature of a 2ch system is that the video syncs up front and rear cams when viewing. Finally, the 600 + 3500 cost more than the 650, before even purchasing external GPS.
Thanks a lot for your input - a few comments:
1) 650 is not full HD front & rear. It's full HD front (1080) and HD rear (720). The 600 and the 3500 are both Full HD = 1080
2) No, absolutely not, but the GPS receiver is quite small and I assume it can sit below the trim in the hatch or just below the trim in the rear window
3) Sounds great - I've just read quite a few people complaining about the image quality
4) Not sure yet, but I guess I could use the same 12V source for front & rear. I would only need to route the wire from the front passenger side to the rear. No plug = less hassle and no visible wire (which I don't want).

Thanks a lot for your input - a few comments:
1) 650 is not full HD front & rear. It's full HD front (1080) and HD rear (720). The 600 and the 3500 are both Full HD = 1080
2) No, absolutely not, but the GPS receiver is quite small and I assume it can sit below the trim in the hatch or just below the trim in the rear window
3) Sounds great - I've just read quite a few people complaining about the image quality
4) Not sure yet, but I guess I could use the same 12V source for front & rear. I would only need to route the wire from the front passenger side to the rear. No plug = less hassle and no visible wire (which I don't want).

It sounds as though you're set on getting the 600/3500 set-up. Good luck and let us know how you like it.