TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blackvue DR650 download script help

Discussion in 'Model S' started by STbreaker, Jul 20, 2016.

1. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

I recently installed a blackvue in my Model S and I've been trying to find ways to download the files over wifi. Apparently you could just FTP into the 500 series, but that loophole has since been closed as far as I could tell. I've tried a few solutions to varying degrees of success so I was hoping some of the more code saavy members could help me figure things out.

I'm not claiming credit for anything so here are the links where I found things. For ease, I will refer to the contents of the links by their numbers:
    1) GitHub - morrisonbrett/BlackVueDownloader: BlackVue Downloader - Download video files from your BlackVue camera over http
    2) Dashcam Hacking
    3) Download Blackvue 650 files directly to Laptop via WIFI (Page 1) / Blackvue DR650GW-2CH / Blackvue UK Forum

Link 1 was my first clue that such a thing was possible. I downloaded the exe version and tried to run it, but got the following errors. I've PMed Brett to see if he can help with that, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has them:
    c:\blackvue>BlackvueDownloader.exe 192.168.1.131
    BlackVue Downloader Version 1.0.0.1488

Unhandled Exception: System.Exception: One or more errors occurred.
    at BlackVueDownloader.PCL.BlackVueDownloader.QueryCameraForFileList(String ip)
    at BlackVueDownloader.PCL.BlackVueDownloader.Run(String ip)
    at BlackVueDownloader.Program.Main(String[] args)

I know that I have the right IP address on my network from before. I was trying to use the instructions from link 3 to download the files, but I couldn't find the camera IP when I connected directly to it's wifi. Instead, on my home network I was able to identify it using the MAC address and kinda follow the path of the user on link 2. (In my case the camera is assigned to 192.168.1.131) I was able to view the camera live feed and even find the file list. Eventually I was able to use wget to download a file once I had the filename. I was able to edit the .bat from link 3 and get it to PING the right IP, and even curl the right filenames. However, when I try to run the actual downloader it seems fixed to the failed default IP of 192.168.8.1. with the appended filenames from the working curl command. I can't find where to edit that part but I'm assuming it's in one of the other .exe files that it queries? It seems pretty nifty because it would dump the video and GPS files into the "data" folder and then you can view/edit with RegistratorViewer (which is conveniently included in the zip the user created).

Even if I got this option to work, I'm not quite sure how I would only download stuff I want (e.g. yesterday and today). Ideally, I would want it to ask for a date range or something, but for now i'd definitely be happy with just getting the files

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

@STbreaker - If I understand correctly you're saying the exe is hard coded and points to a fixed/static IP (192.168.8.1) and you would like a version that points to your static IP. If that's correct have you tried a binhex app to see if you can find and change it yourself?

3. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

That would be an accurate description. I need technical help with how to search and possibly edit the exe. Do you know of a free binhex app that can show editable code and not just the actual hex/binary?

I guess it would also suffice if there was a way to have a .bat set the IP for the link 3 downloader when it makes the wget. But again, that's a little beyond my abilities alone

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

There's several free ones if you Google it. Usually they will show the ASCII characters you're looking for in one column and the hex in the other so you can edit either side. It's been years since I hacked an exe so the products I used are likely outdated. Good luck and let us know if you succeeded.

5. Brett

Brett Member

Actually, you can specify the IP on the command line. It's not hard coded.

I have fixed the issue. I'll be publishing an updated release hopefully tonight. I'll reply to the thread once it's live.

• Like x 1
  6. Brett

Brett Member

7. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

• Like x 1
  8. Brett

Brett Member

Just for the record: The IP address was never "fixed". That wasn't the issue.

9. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

Right. The script @Brett wrote wasn't working for me so I tried to use the package from the 3rd link in my original post instead. It seems to do the same thing and it had some .bat files I could edit. THAT was the one with the fixed IP address.

Sorry if there was confusion about that.

10. Brett

Brett Member

• Like x 3