Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's it for?
I think it's for reading speed limit signs, eventually stop signs and traffic lights. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist on non-AutoPilot models.
I believe speed limit signs for the Speed Assist feature are read by the MobileEye camera itself (the camera at top of windshield, in the wedge-shaped cutout covered by the base of the mirror support). I don't know for sure but I'd guess the sensor on the back of the rear view mirror is maybe used for the auto-dimming high beam feature? Should be easy enough to test...

anyhow here's where I have my Blackvue mounted, if you place it up high with its mounting pad to the right of center it's very inconspicuous and doesn't seem to block that sensor on the rv mirror - I haven't notice any problems with it mounted here
DSC07818.JPG

The Blackvue GPS in my Model S in intermittent also. Once it finally locks up, it does seem to keep the lock while on open roads.

As an added note: Install the camera mounts before the window tint goes in. That will save the issue of cutting small pieces of the tint out in order to attach the camera mount directly to the glass.

I mentioned this somewhere, may even be earlier in this thread...

I installed a GPS repeater: Amazon.com: GPS Antenna Receiver Repeater: GPS & Navigation
I placed the "external" antenna in the trunk, just in front of the footwell cover, and placed the cover over the cable to hold it in place. I placed the internal antenna under the front seat. I get a GPS lock 100% of the time within 60 seconds of powering up and/or exiting an underground parking garage.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy

I installed a GPS repeater: Amazon.com: GPS Antenna Receiver Repeater: GPS & Navigation
I placed the "external" antenna in the trunk, just in front of the footwell cover, and placed the cover over the cable to hold it in place. I placed the internal antenna under the front seat. I get a GPS lock 100% of the time within 60 seconds of powering up and/or exiting an underground parking garage.
Interesting device. Quite affordable too. From where did you tap the power? I would rather not use the cigarette lighter adaptor.

Hi, @Barry, thanks for great info. I read your previous post as well and very interested in it. Reading the last post, I pulled the trigger and ordered it from Amazon. Surprisingly they are going to send one over to Japan.

Could you tell me where you placed the external antenna? Footwell in the frunk?? Do you mean bottom of the frunk? How did you bring the cable in to the cabin?

As an added note: Install the camera mounts before the window tint goes in. That will save the issue of cutting small pieces of the tint out in order to attach the camera mount directly to the glass.

In my previous installation I mounted the black view front and back cameras on top of the Photosync film after it fully cured. I never had any issues of the film pulling away -- I suspect that the very small footprint isn't enough to pull the film off, especially since it's not really near the edge on the front, and on the rear, the camera is very small and light.

Of course, take this advice at your own risk. I figured a permanent hole in the tint wasn't worth it in case I change the camera or needed to remove it (which I did upon trade in for my new car).

You can also avoid the hatchback glass entirely by mounting the rear view on the plastic trim and angling the camera to look outward. That's what I've done on my current install and it works perfectly.

@Barry Did you find the GPS repeater caused interference with the car's own GPS? I had one of these (the same you linked to) but sent it back after I found it would frequently (although not always) mess up the map on the in dash GPS map. Symptoms included slow map updates (not tracking movement) or the car was tracking a few feet off a road, etc. That said, I had the external receiver part of the extender sitting outside the car, right in the recess of the hood and windshield on the passenger sue: there it was hidden and had direct view of the sky. The repeater part was tucked between the passenger seat and the center console.

Hi, @Barry, thanks for great info. I read your previous post as well and very interested in it. Reading the last post, I pulled the trigger and ordered it from Amazon. Surprisingly they are going to send one over to Japan.

Could you tell me where you placed the external antenna? Footwell in the frunk?? Do you mean bottom of the frunk? How did you bring the cable in to the cabin?

No, the footwell in the back, where the third row seats aren't :) I ran the cable from the front lip of the footwell over to the gap between the trunk floor and the wheel well, and pushed it down in there. Then, forward to the back of the second row seat, then down to the floor and tucked in the floor moulding (if that's the right term for it), forward to under the front seat.

@Barry Did you find the GPS repeater caused interference with the car's own GPS? I had one of these (the same you linked to) but sent it back after I found it would frequently (although not always) mess up the map on the in dash GPS map. Symptoms included slow map updates (not tracking movement) or the car was tracking a few feet off a road, etc. That said, I had the external receiver part of the extender sitting outside the car, right in the recess of the hood and windshield on the passenger sue: there it was hidden and had direct view of the sky. The repeater part was tucked between the passenger seat and the center console.
Steve - I've had no issues with it. On the item's page on Amazon, it said to keep the 2 antennas at least 3m apart. You might have been getting some feedback between the 2 antennas with the closer spacing.

@Barry Thanks for your reply: I suspect you're right about the proximity. Ironic since I thought the windshield was going to block any other GPS reception, which is why we're in this pickle now.

Actually, can you take a picture of where you have the GPS receiving antenna? Where you're describing it I'd imagine could be obscured by stuff in the trunk, or the parcel cover. Maybe I'm just not picturing it right.

No, the footwell in the back, where the third row seats aren't :) I ran the cable from the front lip of the footwell over to the gap between the trunk floor and the wheel well, and pushed it down in there. Then, forward to the back of the second row seat, then down to the floor and tucked in the floor moulding (if that's the right term for it), forward to under the front seat.
Wow, thanks! So in your config the external antenna is seeing the sky via rear hatchback window. Interesting. Will try that after I receive one hopefully in two weeks.

Has anybody noticed if opening the Pano roof for a while allows the Blackvue to get a GPS lock? I'm not terribly concerned about having constant GPS signal for speed monitoring or mapping, but I'd like it to get a lock every once in a while to make sure the date/time is correct. I hope I am not misunderstanding that the incorrect time glitch is due to lack of the camera getting a GPS lock.

Has anybody noticed if opening the Pano roof for a while allows the Blackvue to get a GPS lock? I'm not terribly concerned about having constant GPS signal for speed monitoring or mapping, but I'd like it to get a lock every once in a while to make sure the date/time is correct. I hope I am not misunderstanding that the incorrect time glitch is due to lack of the camera getting a GPS lock.

Nope--opening the pano itself does not help. My solution is to unplug the Blackvues once in a while, remove them from the windshield mounting bracket, hook up a spare 12V power cable, and then boot them up under the open pano roof or outside the car. Once they get a GPS lock, I reinstall and re-aim them out the front windshield. PITA. YMMV.

Wow, thanks! So in your config the external antenna is seeing the sky via rear hatchback window. Interesting. Will try that after I receive one hopefully in two weeks.
It may even be seeing a few satellites through the pano.
My trunk is usually empty, but next time I need to load it up, I'll put the antenna in the footwell and see how it does there. I suspect not as well, as its view of the sky, without going through metal, will be more limited to directly over head.

Last edited: