Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope--opening the pano itself does not help. My solution is to unplug the Blackvues once in a while, remove them from the windshield mounting bracket, hook up a spare 12V power cable, and then boot them up under the open pano roof or outside the car. Once they get a GPS lock, I reinstall and re-aim them out the front windshield. PITA. YMMV.

Where is the GPS antenna for the navigation system? I think it's really odd that a car is that well sealed from satellite signals.

just fyi, additional info to @mspisars post, here's a photo (not mine) of the inside of the right side mirror housing, showing GPS and WiFi antennas. I've seen other places mention the GPS antenna is at the top of the rear glass, but I suspect this is it here.

Hmmm...looks like there is room in the mirror hinge for another cable. It might be possible to put a GPS repeater in the same mirror assembly for the Blackvue. It'd be nice to be able to tap off of the Tesla GPS antenna to put a repeater in the car, but that would probably void the warranty.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Thank you everyone for your helpful posts.
I installed my Blackvue yesterday, and found it moderately difficult/frustrating, though without the advice on this forum would have been extremely difficult.

I made a fused power cable to use from the unused microphone area plug.
I mounted the front camera to the right, not in front of, the rear view mirror, in hopes of better GPS acquisition.
Used the "no drill" method for threading the cable through the hatch, where I mounted to the center trim piece.

Advice? take your time, don't take short cuts, have the right threading tools for the cabling. Also, read the entire thread and the related links.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: hiroshiy
I need a bit of help from the community on the install. I have successfully taken the rear wire brought the boot and now am trying to feed it to the center on the hatch between the two metal pieces that make up the hatch. I have tried it to about an hour. Is this really doable? I was able to get a guide wire through and Henry to pull the blackvue through but it won't pull through. I tried it solo but it seems fruitless. If I do, for some reason, get it though the area how do I fish it up? Any advice?

Frustratingly yours,

Guy

I need a bit of help from the community on the install. I have successfully taken the rear wire brought the boot and now am trying to feed it to the center on the hatch between the two metal pieces that make up the hatch. I have tried it to about an hour. Is this really doable? I was able to get a guide wire through and Henry to pull the blackvue through but it won't pull through. I tried it solo but it seems fruitless. If I do, for some reason, get it though the area how do I fish it up? Any advice?

Frustratingly yours,

Guy

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like my experience with the 6-7 inch flex rubber conduit between the body and hatch. I screwed with for an hour, and then went to Home Depot and bought this. Pulled it through in 3 seconds . . .

Klein Tools 19 oz. Foam Wire Pulling Lube-51100 - The Home Depot

1. I need a bit of help from the community on the install. I have successfully taken the rear wire brought the boot and now am trying to feed it to the center on the hatch between the two metal pieces that make up the hatch. I have tried it to about an hour. Is this really doable? I was able to get a guide wire through and Henry to pull the blackvue through but it won't pull through. I tried it solo but it seems fruitless. If I do, for some reason, get it though the area how do I fish it up? Any advice?

Frustratingly yours,

Guy
From your description I'm not really sure how you are trying to run the wires. Can you attach a picture? I installed the front and rear camera wires just by pushing the wires behind the trim pieces and door seals. I pretty much did the same thing as the guy in this video: OneDrive

I only used a plastic spudger like this Spudger (Trim Removal Tool)
It would have been a bit easier if I had a couple of these, or even a trim removal kit like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVXGXI8?psc=1
I did loosen the nut holding the trim on the A-pillar. This is really easy, the plastic cover that says "air bag" easily pops out and the bolt is right there.

The only part of the install where the wires are not completely hidden is around the mirror cowling. I know you can get the wires behind this, but it seemed a bit difficult and I was worried about breaking it. I'll give it another try at some point. Currently the two wires are up against the mirror cowling and don't stand out, they blend in pretty well.

• Informative
Reactions: Ivo-G
I was curious how much power the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH draws, so I took out my multimeter and measured it. It's about 0.4 amps. It fluctuated between 0.35 and 0.45 amps. That's definitely enough to drain a battery after a while, especially a small one like the Tesla has. From what I read, the Tesla will keep the 12 volt battery charged. So, I'm not using the power magic discharge prevention device.

I'm pulling power from the OBD connector. Also, I cut off the bulky cigarette lighter style sockets and used DC barrel connectors. I soldered the wires together and put heat shrink tubing around each to insulate.

• Informative
Reactions: Ivo-G
I've had my Blackvue for about a month and I notice an extra 1-2 miles of vampire loss in 24 hours. I have its wifi on all the time. I should probably shut that off and use the button on the side to turn it on when needed. I'm not using cloud mode.

Have been running for the last 2-3 months and have also noticed 1-2 miles more of vampire loss but no big deal. I also noticed that it doesn't always connect to my home wifi. I've updated to the latest firmware. When I unplug/replug power to camera it seems to reboot. Not entirely reliable, but then again it's service its purpose.

Have been running for the last 2-3 months and have also noticed 1-2 miles more of vampire loss but no big deal. I also noticed that it doesn't always connect to my home wifi. I've updated to the latest firmware. When I unplug/replug power to camera it seems to reboot. Not entirely reliable, but then again it's service its purpose.

Why do you have yours connecting to the home wifi? I thought about adding mine but wasn't sure on the benefits.

I was curious how much power the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH draws, so I took out my multimeter and measured it. It's about 0.4 amps. It fluctuated between 0.35 and 0.45 amps. That's definitely enough to drain a battery after a while, especially a small one like the Tesla has. From what I read, the Tesla will keep the 12 volt battery charged. So, I'm not using the power magic discharge prevention device. [...]
the spec in the back of the 650-2CH owner's manual says max 4.8W depending on WiFi usage, so that sounds about right compared on your actual measurements. Mine is powered continuously and I'd estimate it consumes 2-3km rated range worth of additional loss per 24hrs when the car is just sitting there in the garage, no big deal. The dashcam wifi is normally off but sometimes I turn it on in the garage to connect to my home wifi when I get home - I do that so that I can browse the files from anywhere inside the house using cloud mode (detached garage is slightly too far to reliably connect via direct wifi to smartphone)

From your description I'm not really sure how you are trying to run the wires. Can you attach a picture? I installed the front and rear camera wires just by pushing the wires behind the trim pieces and door seals. I pretty much did the same thing as the guy in this video: OneDrive

I only used a plastic spudger like this Spudger (Trim Removal Tool)
It would have been a bit easier if I had a couple of these, or even a trim removal kit like this one: Amazon.com: Mastertool Auto Door Clip Panel Trim Removal Tool Kits for Car Dash Radio Audio Installer Pry Tool 4pcs with Car Radio Removal Tool/ Car Trim Removal Tool/ Door Panel Removal Tool/ Car Door Panel Clip: Automotive
I did loosen the nut holding the trim on the A-pillar. This is really easy, the plastic cover that says "air bag" easily pops out and the bolt is right there.

The only part of the install where the wires are not completely hidden is around the mirror cowling. I know you can get the wires behind this, but it seemed a bit difficult and I was worried about breaking it. I'll give it another try at some point. Currently the two wires are up against the mirror cowling and don't stand out, they blend in pretty well.

Sorry, my cry for help wasn't very clear. I have successfully brought the cable from the front camera to the hatch via the rubber boot. I am now attempting to maneuver that cable back in the hole where the rubber boot attaches on the hatch and thread it to the center of the glass where it will come out. Anyone done this successfully?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 96
So when you get home, the car uploads all the videos of the day to the cloud?
unfortunately Blackvue Over the Cloud doesn't automatically upload videos - it just gives you a way to browse and view the videos in the dashcam over a cloud connection any time the dashcam has a wifi connection to the internet. Once you're connected via the cloud, you can view and upload videos one at a time, either to your smartphone/tablet, or to archive a copy in the cloud.

I read somewhere else someone using some kind of script to download the dashcam's video files to PC over wifi when you get home (not using Blackvue Cloud mode, but directly connecting via the dashcam's IP address over wifi). That would be more useful than cloud mode but haven't tried that myself

Sorry, my cry for help wasn't very clear. I have successfully brought the cable from the front camera to the hatch via the rubber boot. I am now attempting to maneuver that cable back in the hole where the rubber boot attaches on the hatch and thread it to the center of the glass where it will come out. Anyone done this successfully?

I think I know what your are trying to do. Yes, I did this successfully. You have to go down to the tail light and back. Pop the right hatch door insert out--the one with the trunk open/close button. Feed a nylon fish tape from where your are now down the hatch toward the right tail lights. Pull the wire through.

Once you get that, run the fish tape left and parallel back up to get to the center of the hatch where you want to be. You're done. I stuck one of the BlackVue wire clips near the door insert and looped the excess wire there in case I needed to reach it for some reason in the future. Going almost to the taillight and back, I had about two feet of excess.

• Informative
Reactions: tmarcc and Ivo-G