Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've read, the Model X doesn't have the metallic coating that the Model S windshields have. You probably also have no issues with toll transponders.
I have a 2015 MS 85D and no issues with a GPS signal for my phone or the Blackvue, both work fine. Absolutely no luck with getting a toll tag to work anywhere on the windshield though, so it's not a windshield issue for GPS on my car.

Need help. I'm getting stuck on the first step. I'm looking to use the connector in the mic grill. My connector looks same as this Dash Cam However when measuring the volts I'm getting 14 for the grey and 11 for the green. Not sure if I should proceed connecting to the grey wire? Is it because of accuracy with the volt meter?

Need help. I'm getting stuck on the first step. I'm looking to use the connector in the mic grill. My connector looks same as this Dash Cam However when measuring the volts I'm getting 14 for the grey and 11 for the green. Not sure if I should proceed connecting to the grey wire? Is it because of accuracy with the volt meter?

BlackVue can handle 12-24V so 14 is fine

BlackVue can handle 12-24V so 14 is fine
Thanks for the reply. I should also mention I am connecting directly to the connector (cut off the cigarette adapter and wired directly the 2 wires). I plugged in and it did turn on. No long term damage to the dash cam? I do have the newer dr650-s. Or should I purchase this Amazon.com: SMAKN® 12V 5A Female Car Cigar Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector Adapter: Home Audio & Theater and connect to the cigarette adapter? TIA

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention I am connecting directly to the connector (cut off the cigarette adapter and wired directly the 2 wires). I plugged in and it did turn on. No long term damage to the dash cam? I do have the newer dr650-s. Or should I purchase this Amazon.com: SMAKN® 12V 5A Female Car Cigar Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector Adapter: Home Audio & Theater and connect to the cigarette adapter? TIA

My installer simply cut off the adapter, it shouldn't make a difference.

If you really want to do it "officialy". Use this instead: Hard-wiring Power Cable - BlackVue™

But you should be fine with your current setup

Last edited:
In a new MS 2016, I am finding that the power at the extra plug taped inside of the microphone grill, is supplying 10volts. I used a PC fan connector with tinned ends, and attached my volt meter.

10.3 volts on wires red and brown, the middle two of the four possible positions.

Meter read 13.9 volts at the accessory plug in the center arm rest. This 10volts was not enough to start the Blackvue.

Any solution to this low voltage issue? Thanks for suggesting a PC Fan connector, its fits perfectly.

john

Your car battery actually puts out 14 volts not 12 volts as many think. Wire it into the 14 volt line.

Please dont cut your connector. Look up my posts earlier in this thread and you will see the parts needed to make a simple plug and play cable. I also put a 5 volt inline fuse into my camera.

If you dont want to make a cable I recommend using POSI-TAP to tap the wire. Very clean install

I've installed the blackvue 650s to my UK MS (2016) and the blackvue is interfering with the MS satnav in as much that it knocks the satnav signal and places me about 3 mile adjacent to where I am??
This is permanent for about 20 miles unless I power off the blackvue then power it back on.
If I unplug the blackvue the MS satnav locks on to the correct location in seconds.
Any ideas......

I just finished installing a BlackVue 650S 2CH on my MS AP2. The front camera is super easy to install, I cut the power cable that came with the Dashcam and adapted it on a PC power cable.

My MS had 3 cables on the adapter up in the Mic grill, the combination that worked for me was the Black and Red/Black.

Hi,

Would you mind talking me through the front mount process?

I did this install in my P85D, but I'm finding the P100D rather more complicated. I have the electrical connection worked out but the routing is giving me fits. Can the new flat cover be popped off? How did you run the power cord through there?

It looks like there might be some important HW2 guts stuffed up in there too.

Any guidance would be very appreciated! Thank you!!

Hi,

Would you mind talking me through the front mount process?

I did this install in my P85D, but I'm finding the P100D rather more complicated. I have the electrical connection worked out but the routing is giving me fits. Can the new flat cover be popped off? How did you run the power cord through there?

It looks like there might be some important HW2 guts stuffed up in there too.

Any guidance would be very appreciated! Thank you!!
Check out my video

The mcx connector is easy to do but you need a fine enough soldering iron. I should make a video on how to make it i have some extra wire and a few connectors
That would be a terrific addition to the other information you have so kindly supplied here. I've read your posts, viewed the YouTube post-install walk-through, and purchased the 4 items you listed there (to make/modify the various cables). A demo. of cable assembly would be great. The one I'm sweating over is soldering the right-angle connector (that is presumably going to plug into the rear camera?) to the cut end of the coax. cable. If I can get all this sorted out clearly, I would like to take clear pics as I go along to provide a step-by-step installation guide.

On looking at your video once more, I have only one other point of concern: when routing the rear camera cable from the microphone area to the area above the right front door, how does one route the cable so as to not interfere with the side airbag? That looks a bit dodgy to me. Thanks for your further enlightenment.

Last edited:
That would be a terrific addition to the other information you have so kindly supplied here. I've read your posts, viewed the YouTube post-install walk-through, and purchased the 4 items you listed there (to make/modify the various cables). A demo. of cable assembly would be great. The one I'm sweating over is soldering the right-angle connector (that is presumably going to plug into the rear camera?) to the cut end of the coax. cable. If I can get all this sorted out clearly, I would like to take clear pics as I go along to provide a step-by-step installation guide.

On looking at your video once more, I have only one other point of concern: when routing the rear camera cable from the microphone area to the area above the right front door, how does one route the cable so as to not interfere with the side airbag? That looks a bit dodgy to me. Thanks for your further enlightenment.

Since you have a sunroof, you can run the rear camera's coax along the front and side of your sunroof. Just make sure you run it far enough in so that it does not interfere with the sunroof track. This should not interfere with the airbag.
IMG_2416.JPG

Also, since I hate to solder, I left the straight coax connector on, but shaved the corners off with a sharp box cutter and sanded the edges smooth, so it wouldn't catch on anything. I had a thick piece of copper wire laying around, so I used that to push/pull my coax - it is pliable enough to shape, but is still pretty rigid.

I tried the method that BigTonyTones and a few lucky others used for the back window, but I could not get the stars and planets to align correctly, so I had to go the long route down the hatch to the handle along the inside of the frame and come back up on the outside of the aluminum frame. I had plenty of cable, so it wasn't an issue. Good luck!

IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG
One tip, figure out where you want the front camera first, so you know how much cable to leave exposed and where the shortest run from microphone area to camera is for the cleanest install.
IMG_2409.JPG

If you're in Southern California (or in a state or city where these guys travel to), I cannot give a stronger recommendation to Calibred Customs, a very experienced and professional mobile business that specializes in Blackvue Dashcam installations for Tesla Model S and X. They have done about 300 thus far and are now increasing their business to the tune of doing 1-3 installations a day. I bought a 650S-2CH on sale and they came to my house to install it. I provided the camera, they provided everything else. You can ask them to provide the camera with memory card as well.

In a matter of 90 minutes, Johnny and Darius had installed the cameras flawlessly. Not only this, but they also took the time to set up my WiFi (naming it Melania, after our car) and set up the mobile app on my phone and showed me exactly how to configure and use it. My car was spotless once they were done -- it looks like a factory install from inside and out. On top of that, they were courteous, professional, on time, didn't nickel and dime me on anything, and offered to come back in person if I ever had any issues. Amazing. I was not paid or given a discount for writing this review. I can't imagine doing this work myself -- many things can go wrong and my time is worth more (so is the car!). Johnny's cell is 310-654-0532. Tell him "Melania" sent you.

Reactions: hybridbear
If you're in Southern California (or in a state or city where these guys travel to), I cannot give a stronger recommendation to Calibred Customs, a very experienced and professional mobile business that specializes in Blackvue Dashcam installations for Tesla Model S and X. They have done about 300 thus far and are now increasing their business to the tune of doing 1-3 installations a day. I bought a 650S-2CH on sale and they came to my house to install it. I provided the camera, they provided everything else. You can ask them to provide the camera with memory card as well.

In a matter of 90 minutes, Johnny and Darius had installed the cameras flawlessly. Not only this, but they also took the time to set up my WiFi (naming it Melania, after our car) and set up the mobile app on my phone and showed me exactly how to configure and use it. My car was spotless once they were done -- it looks like a factory install from inside and out. On top of that, they were courteous, professional, on time, didn't nickel and dime me on anything, and offered to come back in person if I ever had any issues. Amazing. I was not paid or given a discount for writing this review. I can't imagine doing this work myself -- many things can go wrong and my time is worth more (so is the car!). Johnny's cell is 310-654-0532. Tell him "Melania" sent you.

How much are they charging currently? They did mine several months ago for $375