Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I chopped the cable right above the cigarette lighter adapter, which was right after the fuse. I stripped the wires, opened the empty connector in the microphone grille, attached, and closed. Hardest part was stuffing the extra wire up into the headliner.

Dear All,

I had my Blackvue 650 2-ch system installed this week and I'm posting this to add to the knowledge base. Let's start with helpful links, then move on to my personal tips of things that work and don't work:

Here is my install, done by Walnut Creek Customs:
Customized electronics installs in the Bay Area - Page 2

Some of the original threads that even got me thinking about this:
Tesla Model S BlackVue HD Dashcam Installation Guide - TESLARATI.com
Dashboard Camera Install | Forums | Tesla Motors

A very helpful review of the Blackvue 650 2-ch system:
BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dashcam Review - YouTube

And a funny video why dashcams could be helpful:
6 Reasons You Should Own a Dashcam - Reviewed.com Cameras

This, in addition to driving a lot for work, is what put me over the edge to get a dash cam system:
Dash Cam Catches Tire Shop Taking P85D On a Joy Ride - TESLARATI.com

Things that did work:

- A SanDisk Ultra 64 GB micro sd card works. To get it to format properly, the SD formatter app did not work at all using my laptop. I ended up just holding down the WiFi button on the camera until the weird noise came up, let go, then it formatted the card. After formatting, the wifi would not connect properly (see next)
- This is how I solved the wifi password problem: the wifi password is either the default, or the last one you entered into the phone app (for me, that's an Android phone). I found that if you use the "Blackvue Wifi" in-app button to connect to the camera, all hell breaks loose. On the other hand, if you use the native Android settings menu to connect to a wifi network like you would with any other network, type in your password, then hit connect, this is solid. Just start the Blackvue app after and it should already be connected. I did so many reformats, password resets, and cursing myself until I figured out this workaround.
- The OEM 16GB card records 4 hours of HD front and rear video. Conversely, a 32GB card gets 8 hours, and a 64GB gets 16 hours.

Things that don't work well:

- the GPS doesn't always work and speed is not always shown; sometimes it shows up to 3mph even when the car is parked
- getting the time zone to work properly on the original SD card was not possible; for some reason, it is working on the new 64GB card (both have been formatted multiple times until I got it just right)
- motion detection settings don't seem to help the problem of constant recording-- it never stops unfortunately so you only get the last x hours of recorded video depending on your sd card size
- there is some major heat coming out of the unit, which leads me to question its long-term durability of components

Anyways, I'm about to take a 2,000 mile road trip with the thing this summer. I'll be sure to update this knowledge base as able.

- K

Last edited:
JPP, Dan/WC Customs did a great job yea. I actually didn't get any kind of XPEL/Opti-Coat/Spaceball Schwartz protection products. I really can't stand the look of the films due to the orange peel texture at angle. I'd rather have years of a beautiful glassy surface and risk the rock chip, than make my front end look plasticky from day one. I did see a black Model S getting XPEL done at the shop though. They do a great job with superb attention to detail, but that look isn't for me.

My friend got opti-coat done on his i3. Yea, not bad, but buffing out a defect would be really difficult compared to the less-durable paint sealer alternative. I'm not an old school guy, but doing the synthetic wax/paint sealer, regular wax, and hand wash routine seems to make my paint looks stellar. The shine just pops in any lighting. I understand the protection is less ... but I'm willing to take a little risk to have Model S look good. :)

Here is a picture of my car, three weeks post-wash at the San Mateo SC before it opened (picture 4):
Supercharger - San Mateo (went LIVE on 07-09-2015) - Page 10

- K

Dear All,

I had my Blackvue 650 2-ch system installed this week and I'm posting this to add to the knowledge base. Let's start with helpful links, then move on to my personal tips of things that work and don't work:

Here is my install, done by Walnut Creek Customs:
Customized electronics installs in the Bay Area - Page 2

Some of the original threads that even got me thinking about this:
Tesla Model S BlackVue HD Dashcam Installation Guide - TESLARATI.com
Dashboard Camera Install | Forums | Tesla Motors

A very helpful review of the Blackvue 650 2-ch system:
BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dashcam Review - YouTube

And a funny video why dashcams could be helpful:
6 Reasons You Should Own a Dashcam - Reviewed.com Cameras

This, in addition to driving a lot for work, is what put me over the edge to get a dash cam system:
Dash Cam Catches Tire Shop Taking P85D On a Joy Ride - TESLARATI.com

Things that did work:

- A SanDisk Ultra 64 GB micro sd card works. To get it to format properly, the SD formatter app did not work at all using my laptop. I ended up just holding down the WiFi button on the camera until the weird noise came up, let go, then it formatted the card. After formatting, the wifi would not connect properly (see next)
- This is how I solved the wifi password problem: the wifi password is either the default, or the last one you entered into the phone app (for me, that's an Android phone). I found that if you use the "Blackvue Wifi" in-app button to connect to the camera, all hell breaks loose. On the other hand, if you use the native Android settings menu to connect to a wifi network like you would with any other network, type in your password, then hit connect, this is solid. Just start the Blackvue app after and it should already be connected. I did so many reformats, password resets, and cursing myself until I figured out this workaround.
- The OEM 16GB card records 4 hours of HD front and rear video. Conversely, a 32GB card gets 8 hours, and a 64GB gets 16 hours.

Things that don't work well:

- the GPS doesn't always work and speed is not always shown; sometimes it shows up to 3mph even when the car is parked
- getting the time zone to work properly on the original SD card was not possible; for some reason, it is working on the new 64GB card (both have been formatted multiple times until I got it just right)
- motion detection settings don't seem to help the problem of constant recording-- it never stops unfortunately so you only get the last x hours of recorded video depending on your sd card size
- there is some major heat coming out of the unit, which leads me to question its long-term durability of components

Anyways, I'm about to take a 2,000 mile road trip with the thing this summer. I'll be sure to update this knowledge base as able.

- K

Thanks for posting this !

Is everyone else having heat, GPS, and speedometer issues?

Thanks for posting this !

Is everyone else having heat, GPS, and speedometer issues?

Yep. GPS is VERY spotty. Not sure if this is specific to this dashcam or caused by the windshield of the Model S. My previous cam (in my previous car) did not have the issue.

As for heat, it does, indeed, get very hot. On a hot day, I can barely hold the SD Card after pulling it out of the camera. I guess I'll see how it holds up. I do have a "high endurance" card from sandisk so the card should be OK. The heat does have its benefits : on a cold day, when my windshield is all fogged up, the heat from the dash cam de-fogs an area around itself so the parking mode works A1.

So far I'm a bit un-impressed with the dashcam. Build quality is better than my previous one (Lukas 7900 ace) but functionality wise, it seems to lack a few notches (if you disregard the WiFi feature).

Phil

I've posted the following link before in some other Blackvue 650 thread, after finding it based on someone else's post some time ago:

64GB Micro SD cards for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH (Page 1) / The Best 64GB Micro SD for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH Dashcams / Blackvue UK Forum

The above reviews a bunch of memory cards, specifically for their use in the Blackvue 650.

While the Sandisk Utlra is rated, it's not rated that highly, and the review does mention general problems with Sandisk cards and dashcam usage. Apparently while Sandisk may be a great brand in general, that doesn't necessarily hold true for use in the Blackvue 650.

I bought the card they liked second best on Amazon--the Lexar card--and it's been working well so far.

I read that write up, but I'm not sure how much sense it really makes to me. I found some of their reasoning and conclusions suspect.

As for the 650 itself, I'm a little disappointed in the video quality. Had hoped for a cleaner, clearer image, and less dash / lower hatch reflections. Will be watching to see how the polarization filters work out from the group buy. The audio quality is worse than the video though. I wish I could add an external mic and gps antenna, but I haven't seen any hacks documented to do so.

It sounds like I'm down on the 650, and I suppose I am in some ways. Unfortunately I still think it is the best currently shipping dash cam for me. I'll be watching for better options to replace it with though, especially if the heat does cause early failure.

I have installed the Thinkware F750. It's a good box and no complaints so far. I don't have enough Blackvue experience to compare, but I like this one.

Does its GPS work? I heard the windscreen tends to block signals.

Also do you happen to have a 128 GB microSD, and if so would you be able to test if it works in the F750? The manufacturer says they support up to 64 GB but that doesn't necessarily mean 128 won't work.

I've had the Blackvue650 installed for about a week now. I use it mostly to let my kids watch the live video, and found a nice snug fit on my console under the display to fit my ipad mini perfect. Not so sexy looking, but it's fun to see the wide angle. The rearview isn't as good, mostly i think due to my dark tint, and rear shade shadow reflection.

But here's a shot from traffic this morning.
IMG_0052.JPG

Does its GPS work? I heard the windscreen tends to block signals.

Also do you happen to have a 128 GB microSD, and if so would you be able to test if it works in the F750? The manufacturer says they support up to 64 GB but that doesn't necessarily mean 128 won't work.
GPS seems to lock reliably within three minutes. I don't have a 128GB card to try -- but maybe this is an excuse to get one! :) I created a new thread on my Thinkview installation here: Thinkview F750 Dash Cam