Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a look at Thinkware before you purchase a blackvue. especially the F750. Dual 1080p video. with other features.

Thanks for the advice, will have a look; does this have front and back cameras?

I had a blackvue before and it suffers from the over heating issue in our aussie summers.

Reminds me of the Ambarella A7LA70 K1S I got a while ago, it also has a habit of crashing - seem to remember it is heat related too.

The webpages for the F750 say "* The feature is only available for models equipped with a built-in GPS antenna, or with an external GPS antenna as an optional accessory." which made me think it was saying that the F750 has an external antenna connection; I don't think this is the case.

Another option if it really can't get GPS signal through the windscreen might be a GPS Antenna Signal Repeater.

Kind of confusing that some people report GPS works fine, and others report it takes 30-40 minutes to get a look. The Tesla manual (which looks like it was probably for USA and left hand drive, not Australia) says:

"Model S has a metallic coating on the windshield that can interfere with signals sent from RFID transponders used by many toll systems. Most Model S vehicles, depending on date of manufacture, include an area in the windshield in which the metallic coating is cut out to accommodate transponders. This area, located on the right side of the rear view mirror, is the best location to mount an transponder. If your vehicle does not include this cut out area, mount the transponder to the rear window."​

However this area defined in the picture does not look large enough for E-Tag reader + Dash Camera.

Looks like there are instructions in connecting the Thinkware f770:
If I understand correctly, you need to have the HWC wiring kit. The red and black cables get continuous power using the plug in the microphone space, and the yellow wire gets power - presumably only when the car is turned on - via the connector at the back of the mirror.

Wonder if the 2016 edition of the Tesla is the same or not.

What is it like trying to wire in the rear camera?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has their dash cam running constantly?

I mean running on constant power like some folks do in the US. So, say you are away on work/holidays for a month or so, the camera won't power down. Obviously your car would need to be plugged in while your away.

I saw the article on the Teslarati website for a model X install:

Since the BlackVue dashcam is equipped with a fantastic motion detector that activates recording when triggered, we decided to run the camera as always-on in order to provide our Model X with a little extra coverage when unattended. But instead of building a new OBD-II connector like we did when working on the Model S dashcam installation, we tapped power in the same vicinity, this time using a quick-disconnect connector.

Anyone here can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has their dash cam running constantly?

I mean running on constant power like some folks do in the US. So, say you are away on work/holidays for a month or so, the camera won't power down. Obviously your car would need to be plugged in while your away.

I saw the article on the Teslarati website for a model X install:

Since the BlackVue dashcam is equipped with a fantastic motion detector that activates recording when triggered, we decided to run the camera as always-on in order to provide our Model X with a little extra coverage when unattended. But instead of building a new OBD-II connector like we did when working on the Model S dashcam installation, we tapped power in the same vicinity, this time using a quick-disconnect connector.

Anyone here can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
Mine's done that way. Always powered with motion sensor.

Trying to wire a Thinkview F770 in a 2016 Model S. I can see the plug that provides 12V above the microphone grill., and have verified it has 12V. However, looks like I need to remove the cover for the rear vision mirror too. So I can get access to switched power, and presumably so I can feed the cable through to the microphone grill. I can get the cover loose, however it it is still attached by something at the sides near the glass. One comment suggested I need to remove the cover from the camera first, but this appears to be stuck firmly in place. At this step, I am stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Im guessing you don't have the power magic pro or a cell link backup battery?
I would assume then, that you are on a constant feed, so as others are saying the 12v battery gets topped up by the main battery?

Although many of the "expert" professional installers will try to convince you otherwise, a power magic pro is a waste of money in a Tesla.

The 12V battery is automatically topped up by the main (400V) traction battery when it gets low - even when the car is "off", and the additional usage of the dashcam vs normal "vampire" losses is minimal.

I made an adapter with a "cigarette lighter" socket I had lying around from another project and an OBDII plug I bought on eBay, and this is hidden out of sight behind the removable panel next to the accelerator pedal.

Reactions: championi
Trying to wire a Thinkview F770 in a 2016 Model S. I can see the plug that provides 12V above the microphone grill., and have verified it has 12V. However, looks like I need to remove the cover for the rear vision mirror too. So I can get access to switched power, and presumably so I can feed the cable through to the microphone grill. I can get the cover loose, however it it is still attached by something at the sides near the glass. One comment suggested I need to remove the cover from the camera first, but this appears to be stuck firmly in place. At this step, I am stuck. Any ideas?

Ok, managed to remove the cover. However, connecting anything to the 12V cable looks non-trivial, and still can't see how to feed any cable through to the microphone grill either.