Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the initial install when the main unit was behind the mirror, the GPS just didn't work.
Installer scanned the screen with a Garmin Nav to determine where (inside) the GPS signal was at maximum.
Unit installed as per photo. Seems to work fine now.

Ray
IMG_3737.JPG

I am installing mine this weekend so this is great to know. I put my tolling tag on the left-hand side and so I hope that I can put the camera on the right-hand side. I can't recall whether the camera allows you to invert the image...

Was the Teslarati guide helpful? What did you need to adjust given the LHD/RHD swap? How hard/easy was the install, particularly getting the cable through for the rear camera? Am I asking too many questions?

I am installing mine this weekend so this is great to know. I put my tolling tag on the left-hand side and so I hope that I can put the camera on the right-hand side. I can't recall whether the camera allows you to invert the image...

Was the Teslarati guide helpful? What did you need to adjust given the LHD/RHD swap? How hard/easy was the install, particularly getting the cable through for the rear camera? Am I asking too many questions?
I'm too slack; I had a local car sound place do it. I do suggest tho, if you have access to a portable GPS, to scan the screen to get a strong place to stick it.

Considering purchasing, so wonder if you could help with any of these.

• How have you found the dashcam/s re-downloading data for review etc.
  • Have they picked up any incidents of note?
  • Do you believe it has been a worthwhile purchase?
  • Did you get front & rear camers?
  • Did you end up installing yourself, pedantique, and if so, how difficult?
  • Is it wired up to be always on 24/7 per Teslarati option?
  • Any other Tesla owners purchased a dashcam for their car?
  • Is the 24/7 connection in the correct place for RHD or it makes no difference?
  • Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any help.

Considering purchasing, so wonder if you could help with any of these.

• Is the 24/7 connection in the correct place for RHD or it makes no difference?

Thanks for any help.
I review data using the iPhone App - only to check it's working as no problems yet.
Haven't been any incidents.
If I didn't have it, I'd need it.
I have both cameras.
Installed by supplier as I live in an apartment.
It's wired for 24/7.

Didn't use the Teslarati option - installer hooked it to the 12 volt battery.
Use a signal strength GPS (installer should have one) to determine where on the windscreen to put it else GPS won't work.
Needs a class 10 memory card.

I have one of these
I normally leave the WiFi off, and turn it on only if I want to access the files. It then takes a couple of minutes before you can connect to it from your phone.
It saves a new file every minute. It's not so bad grabbing one or two files, but if you want several minutes worth it's easier to grab the micro-SD and connecting it to a computer

No "incidents" but I've gone through the video a couple of times to take screen-grabs such as this:

billboard-full.png
plugin2.png

I think it's been a worthwhile purchase, mostly for the "assurance" that if I'm involved in an accident in future I have some evidence of what happened

I got front and rear cameras. I installed the front myself but have yet to install the rear. I have been reading multiple forum threads and think I've figured out how I'm going to do it.

I have mine powered on 24/7 via the OBD-II port, by making up an adapter that plugs into the OBD-II and provides a cigarette-lighter style power socket. I then simply ran the power cord along the top of the windscreen (tucked behind the headliner) and down the drivers side A-pillar.

The camera has a "parking mode" where it does not save any video if the image does not change, which means each morning the first video it records is of me opening the garage door.

I use a 64GB micro-SD and it holds around 2.5 days of (front camera) recordings. Once I hook up the (lower resolution) rear camera I expect it to hold between 1.5 and 2 days worth

The other thing to note, is that if you mount the camera behind the rearview mirror (as I have) it will have trouble receiving GPS signals - which means location and speed data isn't recorded (which I don't mind) but it also has trouble synchronising the time. Mine finally set itself to the right time after being installed for a couple of weeks.

If you mount it as high as possible on the passenger side it will have a better chance of getting GPS lock.

How have you found the dashcam/s re-downloading data for review etc.

Quality of the blackvue is good even at night time, find accelerating in the Tesla sets off the event model, so you need to fine tune the G force sensor.

Have they picked up any incidents of note?

Just sudden acceleration. Touch wood no incidents where I need it.

Do you believe it has been a worthwhile purchase?

I bought it mainly as peace of mind while parking the car in public / other drivers in my car (I use it as a hire car)

Did you get front & rear camers?

yes got the DR650GW 2CH.

Did you end up installing yourself, pedantique, and if so, how difficult?

Got someone to install, wasn't too happy with the company, they argued about placement (so GPS doesn't work) and insisted on Power Magic pro.

Is it wired up to be always on 24/7 per Teslarati option?

Yes, they used a power source from under centre console.

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Android phone S/W that comes with it is horrible. The desktop software is decent. I've found it missing some footage indexing when using the desktop player, however the video files are there and can be accessed by playing a previous clip and letting it roll into the next file.

Haven't tended to download it as it is there in case one needs it and haven't need it.

Not really. I don't feel I have the sensitivity settings quite right. What are others' settings?

Yes. The other night, a motorbike overtook me on the left above the speed limit. I almost him. I suspect these days there is a presumption that the car driver is at fault. If I had hit him, the BlackVue would have been invaluable.

Yes.

With my brother's help. It is moderately difficult.

Yes. It does seem to impact my charge but I haven't bothered to check by how much.

Yes. I have the etag on the right. Camera on the left.

I intend to hook up the DR650GW dashcam for my 360 km trip home after picking up the Model S. (Hopefully before the end of the month.

Is the OBD-II port in the vicinity of the passenger's left or right knee?
(As I intend to have the cable dangling until I fit it up properly).

It's near the driver's right foot. OBD-II ports are always on the driver's side as they are legislated to be within 2 feet of the steering wheel.

But it's really easy to remove the panel next to it, and you can run the cable up the driver's side A-pillar without removing anything - you'll see what I mean when you have the car.

It's near the driver's right foot. OBD-II ports are always on the driver's side as they are legislated to be within 2 feet of the steering wheel.

But it's really easy to remove the panel next to it, and you can run the cable up the driver's side A-pillar without removing anything - you'll see what I mean when you have the car.

Is there anything in the vicinity of the OBD-II port that provides switched power (i.e. turns off when the car turns off)? Or even better, a pin in the OBD-II port that provides that?

I'm about to install the Thinkware F750 dashcam, which requires both a constant-on and a switched wire for it to detect whether the car is parked.

I have a 90D on order and I'm thinking a dashcam might be a smart move given the significant investment this car represents. I was wondering if care is needed in positioning the front camera near the rear view mirror as isn't there a camera which is part of the auto-pilot integrated into this mirror?

I have a 90D on order and I'm thinking a dashcam might be a smart move given the significant investment this car represents. I was wondering if care is needed in positioning the front camera near the rear view mirror as isn't there a camera which is part of the auto-pilot integrated into this mirror?
The Autopilot camera isn't available. For positioning, see the first post in this thread. Position is important if you want the GPS.

The Autopilot camera isn't available. For positioning, see the first post in this thread. Position is important if you want the GPS.

Hi Ray, the position shown in the first post seems to be off-centre by quite a bit, especially because the lens is on the left side of the camera since it is designed to be attached to the right of the rear view mirror on LHD cars. Does it cause any video coverage issues (e.g. can't see the front right corner of the car in the frame)?

Hi Ray, the position shown in the first post seems to be off-centre by quite a bit, especially because the lens is on the left side of the camera since it is designed to be attached to the right of the rear view mirror on LHD cars. Does it cause any video coverage issues (e.g. can't see the front right corner of the car in the frame)?
Coverage is reasonable. Position is needed for the GPS.