Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Hey Guys,

After testing the newly refreshed DR650S for over a month, I finally got my video review posted.

I appreciate any feedback and please subscribe to the channel for subsequent videos and follow the channel on Twitter.

The DR650S can be purchased from Amazon. I used the Netgear Mingle from Freedompop for the free 500MB per month data.

Johnny at Calibred Customs took care of the install and did a superb job, others on the forum already used him such as @Muzzman1 and @petfansNetwork. Here is contact information:
Yelp: http://goo.gl/Twyi2L
Text: 310-654-0532
Email: [email protected]

My other Blackvue videos:
Cloud Access Review: Cloud Camera for your Car
Initial Review: Blackvue - The Best Dashcam?

Feel free to use my referral link if you are interested in purchasing a Tesla, got one from a friendly forum member so far. (Virtual High-Five to you)

You can download some sample RAW clips here: http://mactechgenius.com/Tesla/Model X/DR650S RAW.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions, I hope I covered everything.

Great write up. I tried Freedom POP for a month and quickly blew threw the "free" 500MB. Maybe it was my incessant checking on what was going on outside the car via the Live Video Feed.

I quickly learned to shut off notifications, except for "Events" which are things that happen that exceed a settable g-force threshhold (think of when another car strikes your car, or even something like a shopping cart).

Even with no usage of the Live Video feed, I would say you should plan for 1GB of data.

Great write up. I tried Freedom POP for a month and quickly blew threw the "free" 500MB. Maybe it was my incessant checking on what was going on outside the car via the Live Video Feed.

I quickly learned to shut off notifications, except for "Events" which are things that happen that exceed a settable g-force threshhold (think of when another car strikes your car, or even something like a shopping cart).

Even with no usage of the Live Video feed, I would say you should plan for 1GB of data.

That is weird, I have been checking my live usage fairly regularly and haven't even gone close to the 500MB? Is it possible you have another device on the same network?

Did anyone give one of these a try?
BlackVue DR650GW & DR650S Front Camera Slip-On Polarizing Filter

Its a little pricey for what it is but if it gets rid of the Model X speaker grill glare, it is worth it.
Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 9.14.20 PM.png

One of the reviews on Amazon said that it takes the camera 35 seconds to boot and start recording. It wasn't clear if that applied for the auto-record-on-motion feature or for when you start the car, but if it doesn't record until 35 seconds after a motion detection event occurs then that would make that feature not so useful for tracking parking lot incidents, wouldn't it?

Am I misreading the comment?

One of the reviews on Amazon said that it takes the camera 35 seconds to boot and start recording. It wasn't clear if that applied for the auto-record-on-motion feature or for when you start the car, but if it doesn't record until 35 seconds after a motion detection event occurs then that would make that feature not so useful for tracking parking lot incidents, wouldn't it?

I think you are missing the fact that this camera should be installed with an "always on" power source. So, while it might take 35 seconds to boot, once it is installed, I will always be recording.

It takes 30 seconds to boot when you plug it in, but I leave my plugged in all the time so this is not an issue

Great video thanks.
I have had several dashcams over the years, and currently am using the Blackvue DR650gw-2ch on my BMW 3series which I installed myself plus the Power Magic Pro to the fusebox to keep it on after ignition is off. I have used several less expensive dashcams before, but usually end up paying for it in the end, due to less reliablity compared to the Blackvue.

Anyway, my real question is:

Has anyone installed a Blackvue (or any other dashcam) to their Tesla X, without the help of a professional installer? (even if it means showing some wires and not making it perfect) - it would be great to see what you did.

I will be getting an X next month, and plan on getting another dashcam (probably Blackvue, but still looking at what others have installed on their X's). thanks

Great video thanks.
I have had several dashcams over the years, and currently am using the Blackvue DR650gw-2ch on my BMW 3series which I installed myself plus the Power Magic Pro to the fusebox to keep it on after ignition is off. I have used several less expensive dashcams before, but usually end up paying for it in the end, due to less reliablity compared to the Blackvue.

Anyway, my real question is:

Has anyone installed a Blackvue (or any other dashcam) to their Tesla X, without the help of a professional installer? (even if it means showing some wires and not making it perfect) - it would be great to see what you did.

I will be getting an X next month, and plan on getting another dashcam (probably Blackvue, but still looking at what others have installed on their X's). thanks
I'm planning to do it myself (I am fairly handy). I'm waiting for delivery of 3M automotive tape and/or a new OEM channel from Tesla before I attempt it. I have both on order.

Are you gonna wire directly into the Tesla or get one of the external battery packs?
What a terrible question to ask. I was planning to wire it directly to constant 12V, but after your question, I'm second guessing myself.

I started thinking that the ultimate solution would be connecting it to an external battery pack that is recharged by a Tesla switchable 12v supply. That way battery drain would be minimized and the external pack could keep the blackvue powered for a few days.

Argh. What have you done (or planning to do)?