Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a terrible question to ask. I was planning to wire it directly to constant 12V, but after your question, I'm second guessing myself.

I started thinking that the ultimate solution would be connecting it to an external battery pack that is recharged by a Tesla switchable 12v supply. That way battery drain would be minimized and the external pack could keep the blackvue powered for a few days.

Argh. What have you done (or planning to do)?

Sorry for asking... ): I wired directly to the car, the installer wired it directly to a always on power source under the carpet on the drivers side. I believe you can also use the OBD port for power as well. You shouldn't have any battery drain issues since the Tesla always replenishes the 12V battery from the main pack and the dashcam uses very little power.

This is the new battery pack: BlackVue B-112 Power Magic Battery Pack

It is also on Amazon but not from an authorize seller currently: http://amzn.to/2c93rju

I will look around for more places.

Sorry for asking... ): I wired directly to the car, the installer wired it directly to a always on power source under the carpet on the drivers side. I believe you can also use the OBD port for power as well. You shouldn't have any battery drain issues since the Tesla always replenishes the 12V battery from the main pack and the dashcam uses very little power.

This is the new battery pack: BlackVue B-112 Power Magic Battery Pack

It is also on Amazon but not from an authorize seller currently: http://amzn.to/2c93rju

I will look around for more places.
Thanks! After more thought, you're right. It probably doesn't draw that much power, so wiring it directly shouldn't be too bad. I think I will do the same. I just haven't decided where to wire to yet (fuse panel under carpet or OBDI port). I'll check out both options and see which looks easier. If you have exact pin locations, please let me know. I assume they had to cut the plug off the blackvue and add the appropriate connector?

Now, I just need to wait for either the 3M tape or the replacement channel from Tesla. Which will arrive first???

Thanks! After more thought, you're right. It probably doesn't draw that much power, so wiring it directly shouldn't be too bad. I think I will do the same. I just haven't decided where to wire to yet (fuse panel under carpet or OBDI port). I'll check out both options and see which looks easier. If you have exact pin locations, please let me know. I assume they had to cut the plug off the blackvue and add the appropriate connector?

Now, I just need to wait for either the 3M tape or the replacement channel from Tesla. Which will arrive first???

I think OBD port will be the easiest: How-To Tap 12V Power from the Tesla Model S

My installer cut the plug off the blackvue connector to hardwire it. How did you get a channel from Tesla? How much did it cost?

Any updates on the install?

Any updates on the install?
Still waiting for 3M tape (I have 2 different on order) and/or the Tesla Channel. However, I did recently read an article that said that 3M tape was unnecessary if you're careful. It should be possible to carefully remove the channel and re-attach it without damaging the existing tape.

I like to have options, so I will wait for my products to arrive. I also just ordered a OBD-2 connector with a cigarette lighter adapter (to keep car electronics powered when removing battery). I think I'm going to be using that for my power source and splice it directly to the Blackvue. That way I can easily unplug it and remove it if necessary.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
Still waiting for 3M tape (I have 2 different on order) and/or the Tesla Channel. However, I did recently read an article that said that 3M tape was unnecessary if you're careful. It should be possible to carefully remove the channel and re-attach it without damaging the existing tape.

I like to have options, so I will wait for my products to arrive. I also just ordered a OBD-2 connector with a cigarette lighter adapter (to keep car electronics powered when removing battery). I think I'm going to be using that for my power source and splice it directly to the Blackvue. That way I can easily unplug it and remove it if necessary.

That seems the right way to go, good luck!

Reactions: vandacca
That seems the right way to go, good luck!

That's what I did. I spliced a cigarette lighter to a OBD-2 Connector and ran the wire along the A pillar down to the footwell. I tucked everything up into the side panel. You can't see any wires. This gives the appearance of a direct wired installation but allows me to unplug it in case I need to swap it out of if there's a problem.

Here's some pictures. I used a 90 degree OBD-2 connector so it stays hidden.
IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0980.JPG IMG_0981.JPG

For anyone who has had the Blackvue professionally installed, what's the price range for the installation been like?

//TB
Probably a few factors that come into this, like location, installer, how much parts/materials they need to provide, etc. Assuming you provide the Blackvue hardware/camera and they are just installing it, I think between $300-$400 is what I would expect. I'm actually getting mine installed professionally tomorrow from a local installer nearby and they have quoted me $300-$400, depending on how long it takes him. He is guessing 3-3.5 hours, which would be in that $300-$350 range, but if it's 4 hours then $400 is probably what it will be. They are confident it should not take more than 4 hours on an X...they have done several Model S's that take no more than 3 hours or so to complete.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Last edited:
Probably a few factors that come into this, like location, installer, how much parts/materials they need to provide, etc. Assuming you provide the Blackvue hardware/camera and they are just installing it, I think between $300-$400 is what I would expect. I'm actually getting mine installed professionally tomorrow from a local installer nearby and they have quoted me $300-$400, depending on how long it takes him. He is guessing 3-3.5 hours, which would be in that $300-$350 range, but if it's 4 hours then $400 is probably what it will be. They are confident it should not take more than 4 hours on an X...they have done several Model S's that take no more than 3 hours or so to complete.

Hope this helps answer your question.

@XHokie,

Thanks, the price range you listed is what I was expecting originally, but the quote I got was for 4 hours at $599 which seemed steep for our area.

//TB

That's what I did. I spliced a cigarette lighter to a OBD-2 Connector and ran the wire along the A pillar down to the footwell. I tucked everything up into the side panel. You can't see any wires. This gives the appearance of a direct wired installation but allows me to unplug it in case I need to swap it out of if there's a problem.

Here's some pictures. I used a 90 degree OBD-2 connector so it stays hidden.
View attachment 193658 View attachment 193660 View attachment 193659
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. How did you know which wire to use for power and ground on the OBD-2 connector? I assume you left the other wires just bundled together not connected? There is a lot of space behind the dash on the drivers side and the wires can fit in there nicely. And you are just removing the channel on the windshield and plan to reapply correct?

image.jpeg
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. How did you know which wire to use for power and ground on the OBD-2 connector? I assume you left the other wires just bundled together not connected? There is a lot of space behind the dash on the drivers side and the wires can fit in there nicely. And you are just removing the channel on the windshield and plan to reapply correct?
I spliced the wires into the connector wires but staggered the distance from the plug so there was no way it could ever short if somehow tape came off.

There is someone professionally installing in another state who puts in a second channel. I had initially run wire aolng side channel but did not like look so I bought that from him. Super easy to use even includes adhesive. I am terrible photographer but here is a picture that does not do it justice.

View attachment 194001
I spliced the wires into the connector wires but staggered the distance from the plug so there was no way it could ever short if somehow tape came off.

There is someone professionally installing in another state who puts in a second channel. I had initially run wire aolng side channel but did not like look so I bought that from him. Super easy to use even includes adhesive. I am terrible photographer but here is a picture that does not do it justice.

Forgot to mention the name of the member is first impression

View attachment 194001

Thanks. But how did you know which wire to splice into for power once you cut the OBD-2 connector? I understand about the 2nd channel. The channel on my X is he one trim piece I have an issue with as it is no sticking to the glass in a couple of places.

Thought about that one but like the offset of the one in the post as it doesn't stick down as far. I have installed the Blackvue in three different cars and this is the first one without a fuse panel in the passenger compartment.

I am sure it will still be hidden with that adapter? Do you plan on splicing the OBD port directly? I wouldn't do that as Tesla may not like it but my installer tapped into the tow power under the carpet so IDK.

Thanks. But how did you know which wire to splice into for power once you cut the OBD-2 connector? I understand about the 2nd channel. The channel on my X is he one trim piece I have an issue with as it is no sticking to the glass in a couple of places.
The extra Channel came with adhesive that was great. Just peeled off thin paper backing. I used pad from eye glass cleaner to wipe glass first? No issues with sticking
I removed insulation from two wires that go to the connector, about quarter inch length on each wire. I did this about an inch apart so if tape ever came off they could not touch and short out. The power wires were wrapped and taped. No issues

Reactions: Insureit1