Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DR750S-2Ch Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using fishing tape I got from home depot. It's a thick flat metal tape and I was even able to get this through the flexible conduit to pull the cable. I also used it to fish the cable through the frame to the beginning of the flexible tube. As vandacca mentioned this was not the most difficult part as most don't remember this. It should go to the same place where the cable bundle goes through. The biggest issue I had was getting the cable to the rear window. vandacca's video showed the cable tie method which I spent an hour on. At one point I gave up and tried to pull the trim instead and I failed at that completely. I couldn't even get one clip off at all, so I had to go back to the cable tie method.

It turned out that there seems to be 2 layers of metal in the hatch that I kept going to the wrong layer which was too flat to get anything thicker than a cable tie through. I finally managed to expand the trim much more to make sure it's actually getting to the right layer. All in all I probably spent 4-5 hrs if not more with numerous cuts on the fingers.
That was the hardest part for me as well - got cable tie in between the two layers and when I pulled the cable jammed - I ended up removing the trim completely - MUCH easier. Then, fishing through the rubber conduit was tough but got it done. 2 hours on that part alone...the rest was easy!

Whoa. So hold on. I picked up my X a few days ago and need permanent power for my new dash cam install as well. I am attaching pictures of a pigtail that was sitting in the frunk. Are you telling me this is basically as easy as peeling back the carpet and plugging this in to the connector where indicated and - BAM - there is my permanent power? Or is cable in the pictures for something else. I thought for some reason this pig tale plugged into somewhere under the back of the vehicle where the hitch goes, and this is where you would hook up the trailer lights. I am confused. (Thanks for posting this! I hope my assumption is correct but I have been looking all over the internet for this answer to tap power and it seems its sitting literally on my lap.)

Hmmm, what about if I don't have that connector..? What would be the best way that people recommend..? I don't want to cut in the wire coming out of the car. What type of connector is that.

The tow package? Like the bar that you attach to front of the car to tow it..hmmm?!

No. The tow package is the trailer hitch on the back. It was optional for a while, but has been standard for quite some time. It includes a brake controller pigtail which connects to the aforementioned connector under the dash. It is a bit of a pain to find, but you only have to do it once. It is kind up above the OBDII port.

No. The tow package is the trailer hitch on the back. It was optional for a while, but has been standard for quite some time. It includes a brake controller pigtail which connects to the aforementioned connector under the dash. It is a bit of a pain to find, but you only have to do it once. It is kind up above the OBDII port.

Thanks for that, I got delivery of my X a year ago.. and I don't remember getting anything like it. I search through the paper work and nothing, I will take a look at inside the car later.. but I really don't think I got it.. hmm will need to figure out a way to connect it.
, that kind of looks like an ATX connector.. HMM

Thanks for that, I got delivery of my X a year ago.. and I don't remember getting anything like it. I search through the paper work and nothing, I will take a look at inside the car later.. but I really don't think I got it.. hmm will need to figure out a way to connect it.
, that kind of looks like an ATX connector.. HMM

It is part of the tow package, so if you have a trailer hitch, you were entitled to one. It is "like" an ATX connector, but isn't really. Tesla Service Center is probably the easiest place to pick one up. Mainly because they will know exactly what you are talking about.

Okay I got the cable.. it cost me $4 dollars and they were close to not giving it to me.. I am from Canada and I was at the US store, so they didn't know if my car came with the tow package or not.. anyhow I talked specifically to Parts and he was showing me around the tow hitch parts.. and then in the computer I saw the cable and I said.. THAT IS WHAT I WANT!, and he is sold it to me..

Anyways.. up to my next question (confirmation) I should be able to hook up this two pieces. The 12v socket and the pig tail connector right..?

Attachments

• IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 95
Just installed the BlackVue DR900S-2CH and this thread was amazing. One thing I ran into that I don’t see documentation of: the connector for the trailer brake control seems to have moved. Luckily the manual has been updated and I was able to find it. I used the harness that came with the towing kit and everything worked like a champ! Thanks for the great info!

MX LR Ravin (2020) built 10/19

B788520E-FBF8-4399-AD61-EBB44A306FF6.jpeg
52934A46-3422-4914-A9D6-11BC6AAE66A6.jpeg
963F6F2F-244D-4E80-A12D-AD8851212693.jpeg
6D416024-832D-4860-8095-BC060BE15CCF.jpeg

Reactions: arcus and Tam