Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DR750S-2CH install - step by step guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use polyethylene tubing to run the cables, like what is used for aquariums RODI water systems etc. Dirt cheap and you probably only need about 6' of it. 1/4" Mur-lok Polyethylene RO Tubing
I tried, but there's very little clearance in the grommet to squeeze the 1/4" tube. I was afraid about the long term effect of the friction against the existing wires/cables whenever opening and closing the trunk.

Here is my take on the installation of the dual channel dash camera system in Model S:
BlackVue DR750S-2CH installation in 2017 Tesla Model S

I managed to install the rear camera without removing the large piece of trim from the tailgate, so if that was a show stopper for some, hope you will find the above instructions useful.

Comments are welcome!
Thanks for this excellent guide. I installed using your guide today.

Reactions: arcus
I finally found a use for the tesla browser! Had the DIY pulled up on it for the install. Finally got around to installing my 750 last weekend. The passenger side boot on the rear hatch was super snug for the fishtape but a little non-conductive tech grease made a world of difference.

Thanks for the install guide!

Attachments

• 20180604_103434.jpg
    20180604_103434.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 85
@arcus - I used your guide this past weekend for my 4k Blackvue install. I found your guide very helpful in my installation. Using your parts list, I had everything I needed without the need to make a trip to the hardware store with a half taken apart car :).

Only thing I did different was use a blue colored 1/4" tubing for cable routing. The connectors of the Blackvue cables fit perfectly within the tube to be able to be taped together for pulling the cable through. The blue color also made it easier to see as I was fishing it out.

Glad I also voltage tested my spare hardwire connector as the cable colors I saw through yours and other tutorials were NOT the same for me. My spare connector also only had 3 wires connected to it.

Also, great call on buying some spare plastic trim clips that you knew would be broken. I only broke a couple, but it was good to know I had some available to use and didn't have to worry about these snapping when removing trim pieces.

Thank you, @jorobsand ! I must have bought a wrong 1/4 tube, mine was way too thick to even try fishing it through. Great that your worked :)

The credit for spare clips goes to one of the youtubers who mentioned that in hi video. I think I broke 2 clips as well, so they came very handy!

If my 2015 S has always-on power, then this looks like a very easy install for the forward camera?
I don’t have any interest in the rear camera, and definitely not interested in the install of it with my solid roof!

I assume I can run it without the rear camera?

If my 2015 S has always-on power, then this looks like a very easy install for the forward camera?
I don’t have any interest in the rear camera, and definitely not interested in the install of it with my solid roof!

I assume I can run it without the rear camera?

Yes, will work great (though no need to spend the extra on the 2ch version if you just want front). And yes, forward only is a very easy install.

wasn't as brave as you guys (respect!) so got an installer to come by the house. Used him for other cars, his work is top notch. However going back to comments on Pg 1, at times, key is no longer recognized post install. He routed the cables on the driver side. Anybody experiencing the same issue?
Thanks

wasn't as brave as you guys (respect!) so got an installer to come by the house. Used him for other cars, his work is top notch. However going back to comments on Pg 1, at times, key is no longer recognized post install. He routed the cables on the driver side. Anybody experiencing the same issue?
Thanks

There's an antenna for the key right behind the trim piece that faces the door hinge. Although he shouldn't have routed anything through there?

There's an antenna for the key right behind the trim piece that faces the door hinge. Although he shouldn't have routed anything through there?
The end cap on the driver side was removed when I checked on him during the install. I will confirm with him but it looks like he routed from rear view mirror through the headliner then driver's A pillar then connected the magic box behind the dash so might be the issue

The end cap on the driver side was removed when I checked on him during the install. I will confirm with him but it looks like he routed from rear view mirror through the headliner then driver's A pillar then connected the magic box behind the dash so might be the issue
Don't know what causes your key problem, but here is a tip for simplifying your set up; You don't need the Magic Box that you mentioned. The box is meant to save an ICE battery from being drained from cameras running while parked. Since a Tesla replenishes its 12 V battery by itself while parked, the box does nothing for you. Having done 2 Model S installs and running my black vues for years 24/7 I can tell you they run perfectly without the box

Since I am still experiencing the key not in the car issue randomly, I am thinking about manning up and follow the guide to reroute via passenger side and plug tint always on 12v line. I shall report back