Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DR750S-2CH install - step by step guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the guide. I just fitted my 750S over the weekend. Only thing I would add is in the UK there is no spare power supply in the panel. In the UK that connector is connected to I think Ultrasonic sensors for the Car Alarm. After trying several other options I ended up running the power lead along with the Coax cable to the rear of the car and tapped into the 12v supply for the boot (or trunk!) opener.

Thanks for the guide. I just fitted my 750S over the weekend. Only thing I would add is in the UK there is no spare power supply in the panel. In the UK that connector is connected to I think Ultrasonic sensors for the Car Alarm. After trying several other options I ended up running the power lead along with the Coax cable to the rear of the car and tapped into the 12v supply for the boot (or trunk!) opener.
Ah, good to know. I thought it was only the issue with older cars (not having the spare power under the mic grill).

Ah, good to know. I thought it was only the issue with older cars (not having the spare power under the mic grill).

Yeah - it was a bit of a shock to me! I'd got everything ready to go and then had a bit of a surprise when i pulled the grill down. I did disconnect the cable and put a volt meter on it (thinking i might still be able to tap into it) but its not showing 14v.

IMG_0056.jpg

I'm not sure if (or why) we get the security package on all of the UK spec cars - Or if it's the same across all of the EU cars?

I'm not sure if (or why) we get the security package on all of the UK spec cars - Or if it's the same across all of the EU cars?
Bummer that it does not the extra harness. I'm betting on EU regulations (wonder if this will change in UK after Brexit). In US we don't have glass breakage alarm (which would definitely help), but that's another story.

Some older cars do have it, and others don't. In TeslaTap's Dash Cam install guide, they call out Pre-AP cars with the Tech Package as those that don't have the connector, but also say that they believe all cars do. Either way, there's no really no reliable way to predict whether or not your car will have the connector until you remove the grille, which in itself is super easy to do.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus

This sounds like the route I'll probably end up going, as I also don't have the connector in the mic grille. I've been searching for an alternate 12V source without much luck. Can you share the wires you used to tap into the trunk opener?

This sounds like the route I'll probably end up going, as I also don't have the connector in the mic grille. I've been searching for an alternate 12V source without much luck. Can you share the wires you used to tap into the trunk opener?

I tapped into the red with the gray stripe, and the black next to it on the tailgate supply.

12v constant in rear trunk

This thread gives you most of the information. I just used a couple of scotch locks to tap in and then put in a inline fuse and connected up to the camera.

Anyone points on installing in Model S from March 2018? Here the connector behind the microphone grill is in use. Managed to put a small extension cord with same connectors in between to power dashcam but the voltages are different and also not always available. Who can tell me which wires to use as they are not similar to older models but do have the same color coding.

Anyone points on installing in Model S from March 2018? Here the connector behind the microphone grill is in use. Managed to put a small extension cord with same connectors in between to power dashcam but the voltages are different and also not always available. Who can tell me which wires to use as they are not similar to older models but do have the same color coding.
Interesting. Probably post #47 is your best bet.

Well, I do have the connector, only some module is connected to it and it has 14 V, but not all of the time but I'm not sure of that. I can splice into the 14 V by putting a short extension cable in between the connector and the module.
I think that's what others do (splice) - I cannot comment in detail on that as I have never attempted to do so.

Yeah - it was a bit of a shock to me! I'd got everything ready to go and then had a bit of a surprise when i pulled the grill down. I did disconnect the cable and put a volt meter on it (thinking i might still be able to tap into it) but its not showing 14v.

View attachment 279902

This is also the case for cars in the Netherlands

Hey arcus, just wanted to say thanks for the great guide. Watched several videos and read a few posts on the topic, and your guide was the easiest and safest install. I especially appreciated the parts list upfront, so I knew I had everything I needed.

4159EC12-BE26-4A7B-96AD-BE96671D22D5.jpeg
F86C7BE1-6EF8-4B4E-9209-1DBB37563498.jpeg
D9F988FE-1BD8-4537-9E10-B58BC76DCD87.jpeg
FF5BD80F-FCDF-4829-AF18-6B55B1090828.jpeg
Arcus,
Thank you for a well written installation guide. I installed my Blackvue 750 this weekend and it was a breeze. Here are a couple of additional comments that can make it better.
1) The addition of a 5 A inline fuse is not necessary as the powered connector is already fused at the fuse box in the frunk. The fuse location is F100 and has a micro 2 fuse rated at 5A. See pic for location on bottom right row.
2) Removal of the rearview mirror cover allows you to route the cables all the way down to the bottom front camera housing for a cleaner install. See this youtube video to remove the cover safely.
3) While the fish tape is useful for routing the cable, it can be a little too rigid at times. I use multipurpose wire in 14 gauge found at Home Depot or Lowes in the wall hanging/frame area. The multipurpose wire is thinner than wire hanger with memory to bend it in any shape you need. You can also cut the exact length and bend the end 180 degrees to prevent punctures or scrapes.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Thank you, @Axtrader for additional tips! Agree that fishing tape can be a bit rigid, takes a bit of practice (finishing my garage I havd quite a lot of experience with it :)) Also, great to know that the additional fuse might not be necessary.

I am about to redo the harness connecting to 12V, so I will probably remove the mirror cover to make it a bit cleaner.

Reactions: Axtrader