Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DR750S Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good place to get it: FreedomPop Netgear Fuse LTE Hotspot

Preconfigured and everything for 1GB per month free. But it takes a while to arrive.

If you already have a hotspot you can get there SIM card that runs off ATT networks for 700 MB per month: FreedomPop Zoom 4G LTE GSM SIM (AT&T)

This is useful. So I live in an area where Sprint doesn't work, so would I just buy any FreedomPop and get the ATT SIM and replace? I did not realize SIMs were user-replaceable in these devices. From reading a few amazon reviews, it appears some are better than others.

Next, how do people power a hotspot in their cars, via a USB port?

This is useful. So I live in an area where Sprint doesn't work, so would I just buy any FreedomPop and get the ATT SIM and replace? I did not realize SIMs were user-replaceable in these devices. From reading a few amazon reviews, it appears some are better than others.

You can do that but I had an additional USB outlet installed on my X that stays on all the time

Hotspots have their own battery inside that lasts days so I assume if you just leave it plugged in one of the USBs on the car is suffice to keep it charged.

I replaced my 650S with the 750S today. The standard mount on the front has to be replaced since the 750S has a bigger radius. I tried using the 650S mount already there and it was too tight to fit properly. Replacing the rear camera was simple. Having the BlackVue previously wired already meant it was a simple replace of the 2 cameras.

Configuration was also simple as per the 650S setup and I was done in less than an hour from replacing the cameras to setup. The GPS locked in very quickly and the streaming of the recording via wifi does seem faster.

It's an incremental improvement to the front and the rear video quality... nothing significantly different except for option to enable the low-light mode but that adds noise to the video.

Last note, the new 750S now prints the default wifi access password on the camera ring near the QR code. I was trying to access it using the default password from the 650S but they no longer do this on the 750S. They mentioned this in the user manual which was the first thing I tossed to the side which I later have to go fetch and read before taking the front camera off the mount to get the password.

Hope this helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: Don TLR
Hotspots have their own battery inside that lasts days so I assume if you just leave it plugged in one of the USBs on the car is suffice to keep it charged.
Quick answer:
you really truly need to hardware your hotspot.

Detail:
The USB power turns off when the car turns off if you have Energy Saver turned on. Even if you don't have Energy Saver turned on, the USB turns off after 10PM if the car is off.
In cold environments, you will destroy the hotspot battery pretty quickly. In hot environments, along with also destroying the hotspot battery, the heat could potentially cause the cells to expand to the point of explosion or fire.
I personally chose a hotspot that can operate without the battery installed, and leave the battery in a drawer at home. It's the Franklin R850.

If you do choose to leave the battery in it, at least check the specs for the battery charging temperature range (not the unit operating range). On mine the safe battery charging operating range is 5-35 Celsius (41-95 Fahrenheit).

Also, they don't necessarily lasts days on battery. Under ideal conditions (i.e. not your car) mine has 41hr standby with only 8hr use.

Reactions: macd1995

Be sure to watch at 60FPS 1080P

Here is my video review of the new DR750S. A plethora of improvements and new features. I plan to install this dashcam on the 3 once I take delivery in the fall. Will have a video install for that!

The DR750S can be purchased from DashCamBros, I had positive customer experience with them, they are an authorized reseller. I would be careful from 3rd party sellers that can be found on Amazon as they often don't carry warranty.

I would also recommend the polarized filter, I have it on my DR650S on the X.

Here is my other video about the cloud feature: Cloud Camera for your Car

Please let me know if you have any questions, I hope I covered everything.

2017 tech and STILL not 4k?

Pass.

• Funny
Reactions: BigD0g and ABC2D
2017 tech and STILL not 4k?

Pass.
Plus HDR.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 10.55.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 10.56.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 10.57.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 10.57.42 PM.png

So don't expect to see any plate clearly if it's not directly in front, stopped.