Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR900S with Blendmount vs TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kev1n

Nov 17, 2016
SF Bay Area
I originally had the Blackvue DR900S (4K Dashcam) installed in my Model S AP1(no TeslaCam)

When I switched to the Model 3, I didn’t think I needed to reinstall my Blackvue DR900S as the car came with the TeslaCam feature but after reviewing the video footage, I was very disappointed with the video quality and narrow view of the front camera.

I ended up reinstalling the Blackvue in my Model 3 and here are some comparisons to help others who are also considering the same. I have not completely dialed in the night mode settings yet and blend mount adjustment.

I went with the Blendmount BBV-4014 that attaches to the rearview mirror for a clean install,
Aluminum Dashcam Rearview Mirror Mount,Specialty Series, BBV-4014,BlackVue DR900S/DR750S

Here is a link for 12% off any Blendmount products, Get 12% off your purchase!

I have it hardwired and I tapped into the hazard light plug for constant 12V
(yellow pin 1 for power, black pin16 for ground)

The Blackvue has 4K video recording, wider view, sound recording, more clear view of license plates, the blackvue can also stay on 24/7

The TeslaCam (it wasnt designed to be a dedicated dashcam) is great for being a “free” solution but it's far from the aftermarket offerings out there

Day Time

Blackvue
blackvue.png

TeslaCam
teslacam.png

Night Time

Blackvue
blackvue night.png

TeslaCam
teslacam night.png

I have it hardwired and I tapped into the hazard light plug for constant 12V
(yellow pin 1 for power, black pin16 for ground)]
Do you happen to have a picture of how you did the hardwire? Did you use a wiretap? Thanks!
Edit: If you have it plugged into a constant source, doesn’t that mean the dash cam will be on all the time?

Last edited:
Do you happen to have a picture of how you did the hardwire? Did you use a wiretap? Thanks!
Edit: If you have it plugged into a constant source, doesn’t that mean the dash cam will be on all the time?

sorry i dont have pictures but pretty much I popped off the hazard light panel and use posi-tap

yes it is on all the time. this is how I wanted it. you can look for switched power if that is your preference

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Big
Another benefit of BV over TeslaCam. The latter is subject to over-the-air updates, which sometimes have in the past introduced bugs such as gaps in recordings, etc. Tesla over the air updates come way to often for it to be convenient to keep on testing TeslaCam to make sure it still works as expected. A dedicated solution like BV is just more reliable, which at least to me, is a very important aspect of a dashcam. To Tesla, TeslaCam is just a frill, while to BV it is their main business.

Reactions: kev1n
Another benefit of BV over TeslaCam. The latter is subject to over-the-air updates, which sometimes have in the past introduced bugs such as gaps in recordings, etc. Tesla over the air updates come way to often for it to be convenient to keep on testing TeslaCam to make sure it still works as expected. A dedicated solution like BV is just more reliable, which at least to me, is a very important aspect of a dashcam. To Tesla, TeslaCam is just a frill, while to BV it is their main business.

I couldn't agree more. you definitely want as much information/vision as possible when something does happen and need it to be reliable! I actually have both running for redundancy

Given how inexpensive dash cams can be, it still makes sense to install a 3rd-party one since Tesla's is still pretty much beta. There's no timestamp or speed or GPS or sound.

I took a dash cam from my old car, and reinstalled it in my Tesla. Front and rear for about $100 by Vava. Transfers to my phone, a button to snap pics or take video.

Given how inexpensive dash cams can be, it still makes sense to install a 3rd-party one since Tesla's is still pretty much beta. There's no timestamp or speed or GPS or sound.

I took a dash cam from my old car, and reinstalled it in my Tesla. Front and rear for about $100 by Vava. Transfers to my phone, a button to snap pics or take video.

yeah they are affordable even if you get one that isnt high end, it is better quality and more features. it will pay itself off if anything ever happens.

Does having the camera mounted in that location just off the mirror give you too much of a wide-angle view through the windshield? Mine is mounted on the glass up against the car’s camera housing and it‘a still almost too wide.

see my first original post for the view. you do see some of the dash but you get a lot of the left and right side which is important to me

Reactions: Mr. Big
How much battery drain does the Blackvue incur?

Is yours single (front only) or dual channel (front and rear)? I have the 450 in my old Highlander, and I would totally get a new one for the Tesla.

i currently only have the front installed but it is dual ch. i never really tested the drain. according to my stats app, my cars total phantom drain is 50 miles/month. if you have any number to compare it to?

i would recommend getting one, the quality and wide view beats teslacam by far

^^^ Mine is also a dual channel but I haven't figured out the best place to mount the rear camera. Are you planning on mounting yours?
Install the 2nd channel on the rear window. I put the 2ch BV on all our cars (mine, wife, kids). - treat it like air bags, hope to never use them, but always have them. Over the years came handy a couple of times, once it saved us from a $1000 deductible and an insurance hike, when my wife's Model S got totaled by an impaired driver (who got away by the way, they never found her even though they know who she was, but the video proved it was her fault, so uninsured motorist insurance covered the $100K bill). In that situation, it was the rear camera which recorded who was at fault, without it it would have not been as easy to prove who veered into whose lane. Video below.