Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackVue DS650-S 2 Channel Tesla Model S Install Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent video, many thanks BigTonyTones. Encourages me to do the installation myself. Wish you had created the video at the actual install time, as it would have been good to see you in action with the coat hanger, and actually see all the required panels removed. The part I'm most anxious about at the moment is fishing cable around the airbag, which I certainly would not want to damage in any way. Probably should have mentioned that the links to parts referred to in your posting appear not here but on the YouTube site, reached by selecting the YouTube logo on the video inserted into your posting.

Last edited:
Excellent video, many thanks BigTonyTones. Encourages me to do the installation myself. Wish you had created the video at the actual install time, as it would have been good to see you in action with the coat hanger, and actually see all the required panels removed. The part I'm most anxious about at the moment is fishing cable around the airbag, which I certainly would not want to damage in any way. Probably should have mentioned that the links to parts referred to in your posting appear not here but on the YouTube site, reached by selecting the YouTube logo on the video inserted into your posting.
Your very welcome and thank you for the comments. I wish I had known beforehand what I know now. I spent 2 hours working on that back camera only to find out that you must cut the tip and make a new connector in order to properly route the wire.

I mentioned the airbag in the video because no one seemed to mention it in any of the online tutorials. Its very simple to go above the airbag. Im no professional but I did not want the wire to get in the way if the airbag needed to deploy. Im sure its enough force to deploy properly but why take the risk. I believe its only that first airbag you have to worry about. The rest of the wire goes along the weather stripping and out of the way of the other airbags.

I did post links to the items I used in the youtube description.

I just ran mine back to the pano roof area and then tucked it in along the edge of that to the back. No need to mess with scary airbags. Also for the rubber boot my connector had a straight connector on it, so I fished it through using a grabby snake.

I removed the back panels and ran the cable all the way down to the tail lights and back up the inside to get to the place the rear camera mounts on the back window. I had a friend hold the back panel up while it was detached so I didn't have to unhook all the speaker wires.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Informative. But why film in portrait mode? Why didn't you run it near the pano roof to avoid the airbags altogether? I remember someone else (unless it was you) that snipped the cable but was unable to solder the tip himself and ended up getting the person he bought the tips from to do it.

Informative. But why film in portrait mode? Why didn't you run it near the pano roof to avoid the airbags altogether? I remember someone else (unless it was you) that snipped the cable but was unable to solder the tip himself and ended up getting the person he bought the tips from to do it.

Sorry about the filming. Never made a YouTube video before but the video gets the point across

The air bags run all across the top side off the roof. I think we are making too much of my airbag comment . It's not really a big deal. Run the wire however you feel Comfortable with. The path I chose seems to be what everyone else online did. I don't see another way of running it and avoiding moving parts like the sunroof.

Yes that was me who had the tip made. I didn't posses a thin enough soldering tip at the time. It's easy to make if you have that. If i have some free time tonight ill post a video on it

I don't see another way of running it and avoiding moving parts like the sunroof.

I installed my Dashcam I think in the same day that you did yours @BigTonyTones . I did run the cable to the rear camera thru the roof space and it was super easy. The hard part is really passing the cable from the headline to the boot. I spend hour trying to get the tip to pass the fuselage of the trunk door and it would not work. I did not have the skills to cut the tip. :)

Thanks for the video Tony!
I'll try to give it a shot after I order some parts.

The only part that worries me is cutting and soldering on the new connector.
I take it you can probably use the old connector?

Thanks
Your very welcome. Good luck with the connector. Its extremely tiny. I really did not want to have to cut it but I found no other way.

You can not use the old connector. You must buy a brand new one

Actually now that I think of it, maybe it will work if you stirp the power cord. It is COAX but I wonder if you hold them together with some wago clips if it will work. I should have tried that. You might have video quality loss

Your very welcome. Good luck with the connector. Its extremely tiny. I really did not want to have to cut it but I found no other way.

You can not use the old connector. You must buy a brand new one

Actually now that I think of it, maybe it will work if you stirp the power cord. It is COAX but I wonder if you hold them together with some wago clips if it will work. I should have tried that. You might have video quality loss

You really need to be careful with the rear coax for the 2 channel Blackvue. It is a shielded cable carrying data and power. If it is not really intact, then you can have issues with the data/rear camera quality. More important, is that it can emit noise at a frequency than can interfere with critical systems. Early Blackvues came with a not-so-good cable. Our EU friends with DAB radio had all sort of fits with interference. Blackvue reengineered the cable to fix the issue. Some early owners did not want to pull a new cable, so they bought ferrite cores and installed them at both ends of the cable. BTW, this is also why you should avoid running this cable or other wiring through the left hand/drivers cable boot from the C pillar to the liftgate in an S. There are antenna cables there including GPS--don't want any interference issues.

While I understand the OPs ability to cut the cable to make fishing easier, and his/her skill in installing a new coax connector, this should not be taken lightly. If you have the skill to fish the cable with the connector intact, do so. YMMV.

Thanks for the video. I had been leery of popping the black section behind the mirror, but this sounds like an easy way to do it.

Check this photo of the piece behind the mirror, it can help you find the internal clips.

IMG_0847.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: BigTonyTones
I installed my Dashcam I think in the same day that you did yours @BigTonyTones . I did run the cable to the rear camera thru the roof space and it was super easy. The hard part is really passing the cable from the headline to the boot. I spend hour trying to get the tip to pass the fuselage of the trunk door and it would not work. I did not have the skills to cut the tip. :)

How did you end up getting the tip to pass through to the camera? I had the same problem, once it got wire through the boot, I couldn't get it to the area where I mounted the camera. Finally gave up and have the cable exposed 2" straddling the headliner to the trunk lid. I didn't realize cutting the cable was an option.

• Love
Reactions: Sather
How did you end up getting the tip to pass through to the camera? I had the same problem, once it got wire through the boot, I couldn't get it to the area where I mounted the camera. Finally gave up and have the cable exposed 2" straddling the headliner to the trunk lid. I didn't realize cutting the cable was an option.

I probably did exactly what you did, I did not have the courage to cut the cable.

I covered the cable with a white tape.

IMG_0961.JPG

Last edited: