TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blackvue installers close to us

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Sir Guacamolaf, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Can anyone recommend a blackvue 2ch installer? Also how much did they charge you?

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Mid-Atlantic is kinda broad, includes NY, NJ, Phila, DC, AC, Baltimore... Any specific area?

3. Sir Guacamolaf

DC area, but willing to drive a little for the right guy (Hagerstown to Richmond I'd say)

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

@artsci knows a good guy down there, but I forget his name and business. But it's in the Baltimore/DC area.

• Like x 1
  5. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

My blackvue arriving today. On fence about whether to install myself. Have read it takes about an hour. Found Hurley audio near me but he claims it takes 4 hrs and charges $400. Claims to have done many so I am not sure why it would take longer

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

No way it takes 4 hours. I'd pay for no more than two, tops. I'm no professional, but I probably could do it one hour.

7. Sir Guacamolaf

That's the thing, hurleys is charging 4x what they should charge. Not right.

• Like x 1
  8. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

I did it for a fellow Model S owner recently in less than 2 hours and that includes 2 beer breaks.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  9. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

Not to highjack the thread, but can I ask why you guys all chose the blackvue over the thinkware? I know there are plenty of threads regarding this, but I'm looking for some fresh perspectives. Thanks in advance!

-MG

P. S. I need to order one soon, as my car will be ready next week and will most likely be looking for a local nova installer (or possibly give it a shot myself).

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I've been looking for a new dashcam, but there are some things about blackview I don't like. Thinkwave is interesting for sure, but GAHHH!! what a horrible website. There's absolutely NO WAY to see a side-by-side comparison of their different models that support 2 channels/cameras. Just horrible.

• Like x 1
  11. Sir Guacamolaf

I think when it comes to such comparison, it's like comparing my cigarette tastes better than yours .. Even though they both taste like a forest fire. Let's just say, a dashcam is better than no dashcam. I'd go for whichever is cheaper, between those two.

I've even considered setting up solar cells on the trunk flap thing, with a battery backup. Seriously! Maybe I should just brave it and run the damn cable through the headliner. I can't make myself pay hurleys $400 for $100 worth of work. And I know there have to be other dashcam installers in the area that are not such rip offs.

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm not looking for comparisons to other brands, I'm looking for comparisons for each of their own models! Like the F770 vs F750 vs F550 vs F500, etc..

13. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

For me, that's easy.... Get the newest one. We obviously like new tech (hence our Tesla purchase). Seems like a no brainer. I just want the best.

14. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

It is marketing 101 to provide basic info to show the marginal benefits of upgrading from different models (a cheaper model isn't necessarily older).

I agree with HLR to not patronize companies that are too stupid to provide that info. If they are too stupid to provide that info then their product probably sucks in other ways too.

• Like x 1
  15. Chickenlittle

Ok took plunge and did it. Took 2 hrs. I ran wires along side of the dash channel. If I get motivated I can put in channel later but I doubt I will. Anybody want to see install let me know in great falls

16. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

@Chickenlittle ;

I'd be interested in seeing. Also in Great Falls. I assume you did this on an S ?

17. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

@Chickenlittle,

What guide did you use? I will probably try to do it myself as well. Teslarati seemed to have a detailed install guide.

18. Chickenlittle

I didn't see that one. I saw two threads on the model X interiors. I used the power source that's above kick plate. Just pull the carpet away and use the blackvue tool to tuck carpet back under molding. I was confused about the kick plate thinking I had to remove but the power cord is above it on the left side. I didn't need to remove any panels the wire tucked behind all. I did not use the hole to the rubber in the trunk but rather just followed the mounding around and tucked under rubber gasket around the trunk. No worry about the cords being long enough. I taped the rear camera up first to be sure I had the correct orientation before adhering to window. If you like I can take pictures to indicate path

• Informative x 1
  19. Chickenlittle

No X. Give me a days warning and we can meet Safeway

20. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

@Chickenlittle

I can meet anytime this week at Safeway. I am mostly "retired" so very flexible. Is there a best time for you?

BTW .. I have an S now but X to be delivered sometime in the next 2 months.