Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue (mis)understanding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed (or tried to) a Blackvue DR650S. (It's laying loose in the car.)

Don't seem to understand it.

I though it would do this:

Work just like a Nest cam, record to SD when you drive ... then when you get home to the garage and it recognizes its home wifi network, attach to that and transfer video from SD (if you want to) to the cloud, to your account.

Instead what it seems to do is turn wifi off and on when it feels like it, (can't figure out then) and you have to manually log into its wifi hub everytime, provided wifi is enabled on it AND you're close enough.

So I go to call tech support and there is none unless you want to call ... where is it .. somewhere in the orient. Like WTH?

So unless someone can extoll its virtues in the next day it's going back.

Am I missing something?

• Disagree
Reactions: xyeahtony
I don't have one, but nothing on the page seems to indicate it can do what you ask. It says what happens if you have always-on access, and says you can manually copy things to the cloud using the app, but doesn't say it'll store up footage and upload it automatically once you arrive at home.

Rest of my response didnt post for some reason....

If you set up the cloud setting, when you get into the access point range (make sure you have good bars where you park) it will connect to the wifi. When it's connected, you can access the cameras live from anywhere you are from your phone. You can view the live video or download the videos you want to the cloud. It will not auto download new videos every time, because that's just a *sugar* ton of space.

FAQ is your friend

Can the recordings be automatically uploaded on BlackVue Cloud?

Even if you use the feature, you are limited to the amount of recording time you can upload unless you purchase more time 'slots'. Even the Live View feautre is limited unless you purchase more viewing time.

I personally rarely use the cloud features. If i need to view anything, I just pull the SD card and play it on my desktop via the Blackview Viewer app.

I do wish, however, that if it sensed an EVENT trigger in parking mode or driving mode, that it would try to upload the incident video to the cloud.

Currently, I have a mobile hotspot to only notify of incidents. This way, I can at least have a date/time stamp of the incident and then review the video around that time (especially in parking mode).

Good question. What else do I want?

- Right now I cannot even reliably gain access to its wifi features as it seems to switch its WIFI off.
- and phone based tech support in the USA would be nice? Is that too much to ask for?
- so assume this evening I am parked near a restaurant for dinner. I should be able to access the cars cameras? Using cell? Wifi?
- I would expect it to auto-connect to the home wifi?

Last edited:
Good question. What else do I want?

- Right now I cannot even reliably gain access to its wifi features as it seems to switch its WIFI off.
- and phone based tech support in the USA would be nice? Is that too much to ask for?
- so assume this evening I am parked near a restaurant for dinner. I should be able to access the cars cameras? Using cell? Wifi?
- I would expect it to auto-connect to the home wifi?
I got the answer for you: instead of "expecting", RTFM

I recently had a blackvue installed. I agree it is somewhat confusing at first, and the instructions aren't as helpful as they could be.
If you search youtube and this forum, there are several step by step 'how to's' that make it easy.

One bug is that if you are connected to the device on your phone via wifi, then the phone won't connect to the internet via cellular data because blackvue makes the phone think it's using the blackvue wifi to connect to the internet. As an app reviewer said, GoPro figured this out and Blackvue needs to do the same.

The device needs a wifi hotspot to connect to cloud and the settings aren't intuitive. Using the phone app, connect to blackvue via wifi, then go to firmware settings and you can enter log in credentials for up to 3 wifi hotspots (home, work, etc), change time zone, and adjust other settings.

Last edited: