Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue or like dash cams please step in. Few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a forum vendor able to install but few questions.

1. Year you have
2. Any issue with battery dying?
3. Any tesla warranty issues?
4. Does the big battery charge the small one if it starts to drain?

I do not want to run into any issues of we go this way. We use the car daily and have eas so do not want any issues.

Reactions: vtvox
April 2016
No
No, but servicecenter always unplugs the camera if car is in for service.
Yes

I feed my blackvue from the OBD-port under the steering wheel and left the car for weeks, camera almost records constantly in parking mode. No issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Indpowr
I put in a Blackvue dual camera in my MX in December 2016. My installer wired it to a connection on the driver side foot-well (the panel in front of the drivers door) and the camera is hot all the time, no battery issues and the car is sometimes parked for a week at a time.

During service, the tech mentioned my wiring but nothing about problems or any warranty issues....apparently lots of folks have the cameras.

Reactions: vtvox and Indpowr
1-2013 and 2015 (2 cars)--Blackvue 550 and 650.
2-No problems with 12V battery--always charged up from traction pack.
Do NOT need the PowerMagic Pro.
3-NO warranty issues.
4-Yes...

Note--Blackvues run hot--later models are better, earlier models suffered for it (failures, cooked SD cards). My GPS is pretty much shot on my 550, but the windshields on our S85 and S70D really shield too much.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Indpowr
I have a local shop here doing them. They install front and rear. He said the battery can be drained when the motion is active a lot i.e. mall parking lot. I would like to have it hot and running. I just do not want to come out and be dead. It's a dd for us.

He said this was more of an issue on the 15 and prior. So was not sure. It is not cheap to do either haha

He ripps you off. 200.- was Swiss Francs here in Switzerland. He also did many Teslas, all Blackvues with front and back cameras. For that price he even soldered the OBD plug and installed the iphone charging cable behind the dash. Don't pay more than 200$.

Reactions: vtvox
1. Year you have:

2. Any issue with battery dying?:
Yep, but Tesla batteries die regularly 12-18 months anyway.

3. Any tesla warranty issues?:
Not yet at least LOL, although for every single random issue the service center tries to blame the dashcam. Most of the times I laugh and repeat what they said, and they realize how stupid they sound when they say that.

4. Does the big battery charge the small one if it starts to drain?

Yeah, but Tesla cycles the 12v battery like 5-6 times in a day anyway (really really high)

Long story short, get a dashcam! Any dashcam. Don't wait, do it! You need it.

• Funny
Examples of issues the service center tried to pin in the dashcam (I am not making this sh~it up).

- My app won't connect. .. maybe its the dashcam.
- AP says "Driver assistance features temporarily not available" - damn it must be the dashcam
- Pano rattles - "That HAS to be the dashcam"
- Charge port won't open - Dude, it's the dashcam interfering.
- Regen is poor on winter mornings - "Yeah dashcams do this"
- Footwell never gets warm - "Dashcam"
- AC is weak - "Dashcam"

Seriously!

• Funny