TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blackvue questions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sir Guacamolaf, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I recently got the Blackvue front/back camera installed in my car. I had a few n00b questions,

1. Every now and then it says, "Parking mode disabled, an impact was detected". The car was in my garage all the time, and not even insects were there. Why does it say that? I realize I can change sensitivity, but how reliable is that message, or do I still have to be OCD about checking the car everytime I sit in it?

2. Do you keep the LEDs blinking? (I'm based in the US)

3. The GPS won't work. Any tips?

4. How many hours do you on a 128G card, and what are those N,E,P,M toggle bars on the top of the app?

Thanks!

2. f-stop

f-stop Member

1. I have voice prompts turned off, so I've never heard that message, sorry I can't help on this one
    2. I have all LEDs turned off, and gaffers tape over the rear one (it's not s/w controlled)
    3. The Model S windshield seems to block much of the GPS signal. Sometimes my 650GW-2CH gets GPS lock, but it's hit or miss. Some people have installed a GPS repeater/antenna in the car to solve this, search some of the other Blackvue threads for that
    4. N,E,P,M toggles let you filter on/off the Normal mode, Event mode, Parking mode, and Manual mode video clips that have already been recorded (doesn't affect what gets recorded, only just what you see in the list)
    I have a 128GB card too. The spec says in Highest quality mode, 12 hrs with 64GB so double that. But I believe "Highest"'quality mode used to be 8.4Mbps (front) with firmware 2.004 and earlier. They just released v2.005 (and also newer hardware 650S-2CH) which supports 10Mbps (front) at Highest quality, so if you're using that, then max hrs will be less. I'm recording at 8.4Mbs v2.005, but don't drive too many hours per day and park many hours in my dark garage, so your results will vary - but anyhow with 128GB card I have perhaps 4-6 days worth of recordings before it clears some space on the card (haven't closely looked to see how many recording hours that is)

• Informative x 2
  3. Sir Guacamolaf

^^ Awesome thanks! I'm going to search for GPS lock stuff you mention, it'd be nice to have GPS info. I got the new cloud version btw. The 128G card is sitting on my desk at the moment. :)

4. javawolfpack

javawolfpack Member

I believe I read that the Model S windshield is shielded so makes GPS difficult; however, there is a small square in the middle behind the rearview mirror that is unshielded for this purpose... if your camera wasn't mounted in this spot then it's unlikely to get reliable or any GPS signal.

5. Sir Guacamolaf

@javawolfpack that's where I have my toll transponder mounted. :eek:)

6. javawolfpack

javawolfpack Member

Likely better to pay tolls than get GPS data on your dash cam. Likely a reason for the GPS repeater/antenna for such a case.

7. jzhan

jzhan Member

I have had BV installed for about 2 weeks now. The reason for the camera to say an impact was detected is probably that you have set the parking mode horizontal G sensor's sensitivity too high so that when you closed the door, the camera registered it as a side impact.

• Informative x 1
  8. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I moved the transponder so the BV could be installed on ~1/2 of it. Its less intrusive and GPS is accessible/reliable. My HOV transponder does not fit in the remaining space but my gate transponder does, so I've got that up there. No interference so far.
    As for your other questions:
    1.Never heard impact message but tired out of the chimes, so I turned them off completely. Ultra ultra sensitive sensors so perhaps you have ghosts instead of bugs.
    2. l'm stealth.
    3. Relocate the transponder. Not sure which state you are in, but there are many posts by state, of successful alt spots.
    4. The codes are helpful for finding specific footage. I use the cloud & wifi for term & temp storage rotated weekly. I have not subscribed to greater storage capacity but that is an option if you need it.

• Informative x 1
  9. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

My Blackvue is mounted at the top of the windshield just to the right of the black area. It takes some time after I leave the garage but it does get a GPS lock. This access video for the Newark, DE SC was filmed by my camera. Note the speed readings at the lower left of the video.

• Like x 1
  10. blc1017

blc1017 Member

For those of you who live in particularly warm climates, have you had any issues with the Blackvue electronics malfunctioning due to heat? My car does occasionally get parked for several hours in areas that have triple digit heat.

11. Sir Guacamolaf

1 More Q /.. how do you read that MicroSD card on a Mac? The camera came with a USB thing, that I slipped the MicroSD card in, and plugged it in to a USB port on the Mac - but it won't recognize it. Ditto on Windows. The card is fine since the camera itself can read/write to it. Is there some trick?

12. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I've been in & out of the desert exceeding 110 degrees consistently this summer and surprisingly not noticed any problems.
    I haven't retrieved anything off SD (could be a melted mess lol) but I use the app & cloud to check on things with no hint of a problem. No problem with firmware updates either. BTW not parked in direct sun.

13. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

#13 NikeWings, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Sorry Guac, I've never removed the darn thing. o_O
    Have you tried re-loading the viewer to your Mac or PC? Maybe it went bazurk.

14. f-stop

f-stop Member

I have a Mac. I first formatted the card as FAT using Disk Utility. Then put it into the dashcam. I forget but I might have also after that pressed and held the dashcam button to format in cam. But anyhow I can pull the card and read it on the Mac or use the desktop viewer app.

I recall there being some note somewhere, maybe on Blackvue site to format first using Disk Utility to be able to read on the desktop, so that's what I did and it works

15. whitex

whitex Member

My answers pretty much align with f-stop except for the tape over the rear LED (with tinted windows and mounted high up in the rear, I've yet to notice the light from inside or outside). As for GPS, I don't know whether it gets a lock or not - LED's are off and never pulled the GPS data (only video) and I have the speed recording turned off (along with the mic). The camera does automatically switch between driving and parking modes but that could be based on camera data and not gps. About the metalized windshield, unfortunately that seems to vary from car to car, even between cars manufactured in the same month (possibly different windshield suppliers or different stock or winter package vs. not - nobody seems to know). There is however an easy way to tell (I've done the research for radar detector installation which the metalized coating blocks almost completely) - look at your windshield at an angle out in the sun, you should be able to see where the coating is applied. Here is what it looks like on my current car (my older was different, and I've see other cars with yet different coating patterns too).
    TeslaMetalizedWindshield.png

16. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

On a Windows machine you may have to open Disk Manager and assign a drive letter to the USB adapter before you can access it. The Blackvue software for Windows is on the microSD card.