Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue red dot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed the Blackvue dash cam in my Model S. In all my videos I have this red dot in the videos. It is especially noticeable at night shots. I'm wondering is this a camera issue or does the Tesla have some kind of sensor that is making it show up?

I wonder if they had a batch of bad sensors. I have a hot pixel in that exact same spot. I purchased mine 2 months ago. For the size of that red dot, it's actually a couple hot pixels next to each other. I also have a couple other individual hot pixels (showing as green dots) but they are much smaller and only noticeable with completely black background.

That's quite a coincidence, so it's possible they have a common problem somewhere, but it smacks of bad quality control whatever it is.

Most consumer-level sensors will have a few bad pixels when they come off the production line. The manufacturer of the camera can get around this once the finished product is QA'd by running a test on the camera which will identify the bad pixels and turn them off so they aren't as noticeable. Maybe that suggests this isn't just a regular bad pixel but another component failure somewhere.

Either way, if some came out of the factory like that, it's pretty shoddy QA IMO.

Reactions: JohnnyG