TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blackvue red dot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I recently installed the Blackvue dash cam in my Model S. In all my videos I have this red dot in the videos. It is especially noticeable at night shots. I'm wondering is this a camera issue or does the Tesla have some kind of sensor that is making it show up?

2. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Could it possibly be a reflection of the recording LED on the camera reflecting off the window? Make sure you turn off all LEDs on the camera (from the app settings).

3. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Good suggestions, but they are already off.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Dead or hot pixel on the CMOS sensor.

• Like x 1
  5. Electric Dream

This. Cover the lens and record a few seconds of black to verify, then ask for a replacement from wherever you bought it.

• Like x 1
  6. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Oh good idea! I'll put on the cover that it came with and see if I still see it. If it is, then I know for sure it is not the Model S sensors.

Could be!

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I wonder if they had a batch of bad sensors. I have a hot pixel in that exact same spot. I purchased mine 2 months ago. For the size of that red dot, it's actually a couple hot pixels next to each other. I also have a couple other individual hot pixels (showing as green dots) but they are much smaller and only noticeable with completely black background.

8. Electric Dream

That's quite a coincidence, so it's possible they have a common problem somewhere, but it smacks of bad quality control whatever it is.

Most consumer-level sensors will have a few bad pixels when they come off the production line. The manufacturer of the camera can get around this once the finished product is QA'd by running a test on the camera which will identify the bad pixels and turn them off so they aren't as noticeable. Maybe that suggests this isn't just a regular bad pixel but another component failure somewhere.

Either way, if some came out of the factory like that, it's pretty shoddy QA IMO.

• Like x 1