TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blackvue vs Thinkware

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ALLMYNE, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

hi.....new to the dash cam world and want to make the best decision the 1st time

I'm trying to figure out the pros / cons with the Blackvue vs Thinkware:

FEATURES - I would like the ability to have 24/7 monitoring, live view and notifications sent to my phone for any issue that arises
    Do both top models offer the same features or is there one that stands out?

DEPENDABILITY
    Does one offer more dependability and ease of use then the other?

QUALITY OF CAM
    I'm not that concerned with quality of cam since I'll be looking at the new DS750S coming soon vs the new F800 and it appears both will be very similar

TY!!

2. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

#2 SMAlset, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Sounds like you want Cloud connectivity. I know Blackvue offers that now although we don't use it. The thing that influenced our decision when we bought back in March was the minimal look of BV's barrel cameras, i suppose the wiring was a bit simplier although we had it installed for us, but also importantly to us was we wanted continous coverage in recording which BV's 650S offered. From what I read from TW 770 users on dashcam forum and confirmed in the TW manual was that the recording in parking mode was truncated. We like the idea of seeing a continuous stream in case something important off to the side before the camera in Parking started to record didn't otherwise get recorded. Believe the truncating was a compromise due to the rear camera being full HD and subsequent file space. How well the developers write the code and frames, bit rate and compression algorithyms play into that. In the end it really comes down to what works for you but do read thru the manuals on both new models to get a good comparison. Sometimes better spec numbers don't yield the best results so don't base it solely on the specs. Hopefully it won't be long until both new models are available.

3. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

Appreciate this insight.......ty

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

ALLMYNE, looking for help regarding dashcams? Read this: Ultimate 2017 Tesla Dashcam Guide | TeslaTap

Also if you want live view and notifications are you prepared to add a hotspot to your S/X so it can connect the dashcam to the cloud for you?

• Informative x 1
  5. Xiao ma ge

Xiao ma ge Member

I use the TeslaHome Dash Cam ,which can take picture by gesture with no wire .

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My Blackview has performed flawlessly since day one over the past 18 months.

7. lii8

lii8 Member

Is the picture quality (Full HD front-rear / wider angel / greater pixel) on the TW 770 and 800 so much better that its worth the extra money versus the BV650s?

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

How do you unmount the camera to remove it if you need to?

9. Russell

Russell Member

Mine has performed horribly. I've had to replace it 3 times since installing it 10 months ago.
    For about 3 weeks everything works fine then GPS and Wifi become intermittent.
    I have to power it off and on to make it(GPS and Wifi) work again and then it only lasts 1 day.

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC