Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue vs Thinkware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi.....new to the dash cam world and want to make the best decision the 1st time

I'm trying to figure out the pros / cons with the Blackvue vs Thinkware:

FEATURES - I would like the ability to have 24/7 monitoring, live view and notifications sent to my phone for any issue that arises
Do both top models offer the same features or is there one that stands out?

DEPENDABILITY
Does one offer more dependability and ease of use then the other?

QUALITY OF CAM
I'm not that concerned with quality of cam since I'll be looking at the new DS750S coming soon vs the new F800 and it appears both will be very similar

TY!!

Sounds like you want Cloud connectivity. I know Blackvue offers that now although we don't use it. The thing that influenced our decision when we bought back in March was the minimal look of BV's barrel cameras, i suppose the wiring was a bit simplier although we had it installed for us, but also importantly to us was we wanted continous coverage in recording which BV's 650S offered. From what I read from TW 770 users on dashcam forum and confirmed in the TW manual was that the recording in parking mode was truncated. We like the idea of seeing a continuous stream in case something important off to the side before the camera in Parking started to record didn't otherwise get recorded. Believe the truncating was a compromise due to the rear camera being full HD and subsequent file space. How well the developers write the code and frames, bit rate and compression algorithyms play into that. In the end it really comes down to what works for you but do read thru the manuals on both new models to get a good comparison. Sometimes better spec numbers don't yield the best results so don't base it solely on the specs. Hopefully it won't be long until both new models are available.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want Cloud connectivity. I know Blackvue offers that now although we don't use it. The thing that influenced our decision when we bought back in March was the minimal look of BV's barrel cameras, i suppose the wiring was a bit simplier although we had it installed for us, but also importantly to us was we wanted continous coverage in recording which BV's 650S offered. From what I read from TW 770 users on dashcam forum and confirmed in the TW manual was that the recording in parking mode was truncated. We like the idea of seeing a continuous stream in case something important off to the side before the camera in Parking started to record didn't otherwise get recorded. Believe the truncating was a compromise due to the rear camera being full HD and subsequent file space. How well the developers write the code and frames, bit rate and compression algorithyms play into that. In the end it really comes down to what works for you but do read thru the manuals on both new models to get a good comparison. Sometimes better spec numbers don't yield the best results so don't base it solely on the specs. Hopefully it won't be long until both new models are available.

Appreciate this insight.......ty

My Blackview has performed flawlessly since day one over the past 18 months.

Mine has performed horribly. I've had to replace it 3 times since installing it 10 months ago.
For about 3 weeks everything works fine then GPS and Wifi become intermittent.
I have to power it off and on to make it(GPS and Wifi) work again and then it only lasts 1 day.

For anyone reading this at this point in time. Be aware there is a new Blackvue dashcam that was suppose to be out already (4K, the DR-900S) but it's been delayed: [BlackVue News] A Few Words On The Upcoming DR900S 4K Dashcam - BlackVue

We held off updating our DR650S-2ch to hopefully buy this one when it's out. I know with the upgrade to the 750S the cabling still worked, just the barrel of the dashcam was a bit larger and needed to be replaced, which wouldn't be a big deal. I thought I heard/read the cabling would still work for the 900S but until it comes out I wouldn't take that for granted. We do like the profile of the barrel Blackvue cameras. The software has improved in many ways since we bought our 650S although we were disappointed in their bit rate change with the 750S. Hopefully it won't be much longer until the new 4K one comes out and hope they really do make it the best out there quality wise. We currently use a 128Gb mini SD card with it and find we are pretty happy with the amount of recording time we can get from it, even with continuous parking mode. Not sure where this new one will come in and that's a concern too.

For anyone reading this at this point in time. Be aware there is a new Blackvue dashcam that was suppose to be out already (4K, the DR-900S) but it's been delayed: [BlackVue News] A Few Words On The Upcoming DR900S 4K Dashcam - BlackVue

We held off updating our DR650S-2ch to hopefully buy this one when it's out. I know with the upgrade to the 750S the cabling still worked, just the barrel of the dashcam was a bit larger and needed to be replaced, which wouldn't be a big deal. I thought I heard/read the cabling would still work for the 900S but until it comes out I wouldn't take that for granted. We do like the profile of the barrel Blackvue cameras. The software has improved in many ways since we bought our 650S although we were disappointed in their bit rate change with the 750S. Hopefully it won't be much longer until the new 4K one comes out and hope they really do make it the best out there quality wise. We currently use a 128Gb mini SD card with it and find we are pretty happy with the amount of recording time we can get from it, even with continuous parking mode. Not sure where this new one will come in and that's a concern too.

Good info. I have both the 650S and the 750S in my car. I also thought the mount for the 750 was larger (inside) than the 650S. After I tried it, I found they are (inside) the same. So, I just swapped out the 650 primary for the new 750S primary and bingo, was up and running. I reconfigured my rear cam to the left side and mounted the 650S and its rear on the back window (primary) and the other cam on the right side window. Now, I have 360 degree view.

I use small media. I am not filming a movie, so I only need to capture an incident that occurs then I can remove the recorded media an put a fresh one in. I personally think there is too great a risk of losing the cost of high capacity i.e. 64 and 128 gig media. So, I use 16's. That gives me all I need in a couple of days before it rolls over and starts recording on top of the oldest.

I am looking forward to the 900. I will get on on Massdrop.com as soon as they are offered and move the 900 to the 750 and the 750 to the 650 and sell the 650 on ebay (again).